Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > Does a downstairs bathroom increase value of your... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Does a downstairs bathroom increase value of your property
Closed Thread
Views: 13,401
# 1
Grolsch30
Old 01-02-2010, 10:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Does a downstairs bathroom increase value of your property

Hi,

Does a downstairs Toilet increase the value of a property?

If so would estate agents just add on standard percentage increase to the value of the property, like say a standard 5% increase in value of property box ticked.
Or would it be based on how good the size/fixtures/fittings/ how good the Toilet/ washbasin/ tiles downstairs looks and then adds on whatever the estate agent feels.
Or does it not realy matter to the value of the house if there was an extra Toilet or not.

The reason I ask is that i am hoping it will increase the value of my property as I am paying to have a downstairs toilet fitted (costing me a small fortune!), with the outlook to put my 3 bed semi on the market in a few months.

Last edited by Grolsch30; 01-02-2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Did not make the thread clear enough meant downstairs toilet not bathroom
# 2
Fire Fox
Old 01-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Does a downstairs bathroom increase the value of the property compared to what? No bathroom at all, instead of an upstairs bathroom or in addition to an upstairs bathroom? Where is the downstairs bathroom sited, is it convenient and work well with the layout of the property? Do you even mean a downstairs 'bathroom' i.e. a room containing a bath?
What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire Fox For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
CloudCuckooLand
Old 01-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

A second 'facility' is a good selling point. Its 'worth' will depend on the buyers' preferences.

Some might prefer an en-suite, rather than downstairs.
The Following User Says Thank You to CloudCuckooLand For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
BitterAndTwisted
Old 01-02-2010, 10:22 PM

I think they mean a downstairs cloaks i.e. lav

In a family house a downstairs lavatory will be a selling-point especially if the upstairs bathroom includes the only other lavatory.

Adding value? Maybe, depends on what space has been lost to install the additional lav.

If you're tootling around in the kitchen it's much more "convenient" to pop next door to use the facilities but not if your dinner-guests in the living-room can clearly hear you tinkle

Last edited by BitterAndTwisted; 01-02-2010 at 10:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BitterAndTwisted For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
getmore4less
Old 01-02-2010, 10:25 PM

what will it actualy be

bathroom
shower room
cloakroom
toilet room

where is it in relation to the rest of the downtairs rooms.

Last edited by getmore4less; 01-02-2010 at 10:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to getmore4less For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
SailorSam
Old 01-02-2010, 10:27 PM

I can't see many people paying extra for a house with the bathroom downstairs.
If that's the only one in the house and you need to 'go' in the middle of the night, it would put me off the house.

I have a second loo downstairs, is that what you meant, i'm sure that's looked upon as a bonus to any potential buyers.
Now that i'm what you could describe as an older person i've stopped eating health foods.
I need all the preservatives i can get.

The Following User Says Thank You to SailorSam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Grolsch30
Old 01-02-2010, 10:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have a bathroom upstairs with shower and bath, it's a 3 bed semi and its home to me the wife and our 2 year old son.

I probably did not explain myself correctly, We are fitting a downstairs toilet to complement the bathroom upstairs.
We have the space and room available but we just wondered whether it would have a positive impact for when we come to sell or whether it does not make any difference to a valueation.

Thanks Fire Fox I shall edit my posting to make it clearer.
# 8
SailorSam
Old 01-02-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterAndTwisted View Post
If you're tootling around in the kitchen it's much more "convenient" to pop next door to use the facilities but not if your dinner-guests in the living-room can clearly hear you tinkle
Some new build houses that were built by me had a second loo downstairs, but it was under the stairs, and the stairs were in the lounge.
Can you imagine coming home from the pub with friends of a Saturday night after drinking Guinness and eating a curry.
Your guests would hear more than a tinkle.
Now that i'm what you could describe as an older person i've stopped eating health foods.
I need all the preservatives i can get.

The Following User Says Thank You to SailorSam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
greenface
Old 01-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

second loo is normally better than no second loo but it depends whats lost to create the space. Often its the understairs or small cupboard next to the front door. This year i have taken away our downstairs loo (more like a outhouse) and bricked up and knocked down walls to make a decent utility room cost about a grand. Not sure if increase its value but it would sell better IMO and looks much better
North Wales Holiday Home Owner
The Following User Says Thank You to greenface For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
BitterAndTwisted
Old 01-02-2010, 10:38 PM

Hehe. I think for a serious bit of that kind of numero dos the upstairs bathroom would be a must, nay compulsory
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BitterAndTwisted For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Hopejack
Old 01-02-2010, 10:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If your house is a 'family semi' and it sounds like it is, then while a downstairs wc might not attract a premium price tag (or add much more value), it would certainly tick the boxes of more families than a house that didn't have one - perhaps meaning you might get an offer quicker if you do have one. Downstairs wc's and young children go much better together than running upstairs with them all the time!

ETA - really not sure downstairs second bathrooms i.e. full kit, attract any more value?? It's not something I'd look for - as another poster says, if you are going for another bathroom, I think it's better to make the master ensuite if the space permitted.

Last edited by Hopejack; 01-02-2010 at 10:46 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hopejack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
gemini24
Old 01-02-2010, 10:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

If you have a 3 bed semi then I will assume you already have an upstairs bathroom.

A second bathroom downstairs will probably not increase the value but a downstairs cloakroom could do so slightly as long as it is in a sensible, easily accessible place and not in an understairs cupboard where you have to be under 3' 6" and a size zero to be able to use it.

If you have room downstairs to put in a bathroom, it would be preferable to make it a playroom, family den or some such additional living area.
The Following User Says Thank You to gemini24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Grolsch30
Old 01-02-2010, 10:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for all of your responses,

I suppose it is a bonus to prospective buyers and yes ultimately it would be up to the buyer to decide whether it my house would be worth whatever the asking price would be down the line.

But say I had just a bathroom upstairs with toilet and shower. The estate agent came and valued my house for 100k (for arguments sake).

Now If that estate agent came and valued my house with the extra toilet downstairs would he automatically tick an extra box and then get a better valuation say an extra 5k or so?
# 14
Grolsch30
Old 01-02-2010, 10:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini24 View Post
If you have a 3 bed semi then I will assume you already have an upstairs bathroom.

A second bathroom downstairs will probably not increase the value but a downstairs cloakroom could do so slightly as long as it is in a sensible, easily accessible place and not in an understairs cupboard where you have to be under 3' 6" and a size zero to be able to use it.

If you have room downstairs to put in a bathroom, it would be preferable to make it a playroom, family den or some such additional living area.

A good sized cloakroom I would say.
# 15
Hopejack
Old 01-02-2010, 10:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Why don't you ring an estate agent and ask them hypothetically? I had plans of changing the layout of my house a few years back and rang some agents to ask them what they thought it would add value wise.... It's worth a go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hopejack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
pramsay13
Old 01-02-2010, 10:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grolsch30 View Post
Now If that estate agent came and valued my house with the extra toilet downstairs would he automatically tick an extra box and then get a better valuation say an extra 5k or so?
No he would just pick a number out of thin air in the hope that you ask him to sell it for you and then drop his price because it's not selling.

Seriously though I don't think it quite as prescriptive as that. I think they will look at overall size, layout, fittings, location etc and give you an overall price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pramsay13 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
gemini24
Old 01-02-2010, 10:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Forget the 5K. If you and your neighbour had your houses for sale and each was in identical condition to the other but yours had the downstairs loo and theirs didn't, yours would be first choice if priced identically.

If your house was 5K more, dependent on the purchaser and their requirements, you may not be favourite.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gemini24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Fire Fox
Old 01-02-2010, 10:51 PM

If you have a three bedroom semi with a toilet and shower then your plumbing budget needs to be spent on fitting a bath not a second toilet - see the other thread on this exact subject. As others have alluded to no a second toilet does not automatically confer a 5K prize, in fact it could lose you money or buyers if it is poorly located.
What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Fox For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
SUESMITH
Old 01-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

might not increase the value but it would increase the sellability but i wouldn't even look at your houseif it didnt have a bath, as with a family that's vital
'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SUESMITH For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread