Refund to a cancelled debit card/ Sapphire Studios

Options
Hi everyone,

Hope I've posted in the right place, sorry if there's already a thread on this topic! I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on the mess I've got myself into.

After entering a competition to win a photoshoot in London, I got a call saying I'd 'won' a session, but had to pay a booking fee (£99.98) for a friend and I which would be refunded to my card when I turned up to the appointment. I was a bit wary of giving my card details out over the phone but I checked them out on the internet and everything seemed legit, so I agreed (I know this is incredibly stupid but I'm still a teenager, I don't have life's experiences yet! :() I was pretty excited but when I researched them a bit more I found some threads on this site warning people to stay away from Sapphire Studios/Studio 64, and lots about the hard sell they use to get you to to purchase the photos. I didn't like the sound of the tactics they were using, and paniked a bit thinking it was some sort of scam - a few people who I told suggested I cancel my card, so that's what I did the next day, hoping the money wouldn't come out of my account.

Checking my statement today it already has, so I did think about just going along and taking my chances with the salespeople and try and get the refund. Then I remembered the T&Cs state the refund can only be given to the card it came from... which is now in shreds! I'm going to try and speak to someone at Natwest in the next few days to see if anything can be done, but I wondered if anyone knows what will happen. Can the money go back to the same account with a new card? From what I've heard about Sapphire Studios it sounds like they'll do anything to keep my money so I'm guessing not.

I guess I'll just have to put it down to bitter experience and either just go and make the most of the day and not buy any photos, or just forget about the whole thing!

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Sushiselection
    Options
    Dear all
    I too parted with registration money (refundable on day) over the phone yesterday following a simillar 'win' of their makeover/photography day. I have today written cancelling my appointment in April and requesting a refund. I am hopefull that given the extensive bad press on forums this company receives (which I read too late for my own good!) that this business will provide me with a refund.

I will update this, and all forums I add to, with the outcome.
  • voiceofreason
    voiceofreason Posts: 1,948 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2010 at 2:25PM
    Options
    Hmmmm - "scam" or "spam"? :think:

Anyway, that's not the point - the big question is [-DELETED-]?

[It's been pointed out to me that my original question could perhaps be misconstrued as dodgy; my apologies, deleted to reflect. I should like to point out at this stage that I'm no !!!!!!. Hell, the OP's more likely to be a genuine teenager looking for advice - which they clearly aren't - than I am a dirty old man. So sorry.]
  • OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    Hmmmm - "scam" or "spam"? :think:

Anyway, that's not the point - the big question is did you come away with any nuddy pics?

Voiceofreason, You are trading on dangerous ground when you are on the internet asking a teenager for naked pictures??

OP, If they make the payment back to the cancelled card, it should still make it into your bank account as that card is still linked to you.

AS you are aware of the sales tactics that will be used you will be more on your guard. Just be strong and say no to all attempts to make you buy them. If they get too pushy, just walk out.
  • voiceofreason
    Options
    OlliesDad wrote: »
    Voiceofreason, You are trading on dangerous ground when you are on the internet asking a teenager for naked pictures??

OP, If they make the payment back to the cancelled card, it should still make it into your bank account as that card is still linked to you.

AS you are aware of the sales tactics that will be used you will be more on your guard. Just be strong and say no to all attempts to make you buy them. If they get too pushy, just walk out.

Fair point - didn't see the "teenager" bit. Edited to reflect, apologies etc....
  • jennyviel
    Options
    well,i dont think its a scam...that is just how they do business...i've been there and its really legit and everything went well really on the day of my make over....my friend was the first one who went there though i was hesitant about giving my card details on the phone but it was not at all a mistake because i enjoyed the entire session and just before we started,they already processed the refund to my card and everything was really free...however,the photos did cost me because i wasn't able to help my self,they were so good,fabulous and stunning!!!
  • I_know_my_ABC_and_my_CMYK
    Options
    jennyviel wrote: »
    well,i dont think its a scam...that is just how they do business...i've been there and its really legit and everything went well really on the day of my make over....my friend was the first one who went there though i was hesitant about giving my card details on the phone but it was not at all a mistake because i enjoyed the entire session and just before we started,they already processed the refund to my card and everything was really free...however,the photos did cost me because i wasn't able to help my self,they were so good,fabulous and stunning!!!

First time poster.

So, whats your 'job description' with this comapny?
    Wow, I got 3 *, when did that happen :j:T:p
    It is not illegal to open another persons mail unless you intend to commit fraud - this is frequently incorrectly posted:)
    I live in my head - I find it's safer there:p
  • omen666
    omen666 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    First time poster.

So, whats your 'job description' with this comapny?
    Agreed.

The reaon why the payment is also £99.98 is so you cannot do a chargeback via your card services
  • profsmarty
    Options
    jennyviel wrote: »

Oh please, they processed your card before you started. Yeah right. Its probably because you work for the company. When I was there, they had to take my card details again and send them off to the accounts department because they are unable to give refunds on the spot.

Advise to anyone, before you get started with these people, ask them how much they charge for different size photographs. That usually get them flapping. Don't start anything until you are clear on their charges.

Anyway, good try Sapphire Studios :rotfl:
  • arisma
    arisma Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 29 July 2010 at 12:21AM
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Hope I've posted in the right place, sorry if there's already a thread on this topic! I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on the mess I've got myself into.

After entering a competition to win a photoshoot in London, I got a call saying I'd 'won' a session, but had to pay a booking fee (£99.98) for a friend and I which would be refunded to my card when I turned up to the appointment. I was a bit wary of giving my card details out over the phone but I checked them out on the internet and everything seemed legit, so I agreed (I know this is incredibly stupid but I'm still a teenager, I don't have life's experiences yet! :() I was pretty excited but when I researched them a bit more I found some threads on this site warning people to stay away from Sapphire Studios/Studio 64, and lots about the hard sell they use to get you to to purchase the photos. I didn't like the sound of the tactics they were using, and paniked a bit thinking it was some sort of scam - a few people who I told suggested I cancel my card, so that's what I did the next day, hoping the money wouldn't come out of my account.

Checking my statement today it already has, so I did think about just going along and taking my chances with the salespeople and try and get the refund. Then I remembered the T&Cs state the refund can only be given to the card it came from... which is now in shreds! I'm going to try and speak to someone at Natwest in the next few days to see if anything can be done, but I wondered if anyone knows what will happen. Can the money go back to the same account with a new card? From what I've heard about Sapphire Studios it sounds like they'll do anything to keep my money so I'm guessing not.

I guess I'll just have to put it down to bitter experience and either just go and make the most of the day and not buy any photos, or just forget about the whole thing!

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Really sorry to hear this story - it's SO similar to mine... I'm afraid I can't answer your query re. bank cards, etc., but there IS something you can do about Sapphire Studios. Unfortunately, your post is dated January, so you've probably been to your appointment by now (I'd be VERY interested to hear now it went...), but you could maybe help put a stop to this, and prevent anyone else being conned in this way. Keep reading....
    I too very naively agreed to pay the ("refundable"!) deposit of just under £100 in good faith, but then needed to cancel my appointment. Sapphire Studios say it is not possible to cancel - only rearrange. This is not acceptable to me, as - like yourself - I was told that I was a sort of 'winner', and had been specially selected to have this pampering day and photoshoot (basically, this amounts to MISREPRESENTATION in the eyes of the law, and they can't get away with it). As I can no longer physically make it to my appointment, they are unwilling to refund my money (as their small print stipulates that you need to show up for the appointment in order to get your refund!). Again, not acceptable.
    So today I called Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06, and spoke to a very helpful man who told me exactly how to deal with it (basically involves writing a letter), however, when I mentioned all these posts on the internet, he asked me to to urge ANYONE WHO HAS HAD A NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE SUCH AS THIS to please, please, please call Consumer Direct and report it. If they get enough people complaining, they can take the case to Trading Standards and have these practices stopped. The guy I spoke to even thought this could be a criminal matter. So please, people - call Consumer Direct about this - Sapphire Studios really shouldn't be getting away with it.
  • Fiddlezapper
    Options
    My friend and I were also taken in by this scam - I wish I had of researched them before going. We paid a deposit of £99.98 as was told on the phone that the photos start from £50 each and that if we didn't have a photo we could have our deposit back or put it towards a picture. Little did we know that after the shoot had taken place we would be taken in to a viewing room, shown 84 photos and completely pressured in to purchasing photos on a disk. When we asked the price we were told it was £80 + VAT for ONE photo on a CD, when I said that was expensive, I was faced with "well thats what you expect to pay in Central London" to which I replied "well we had no choice of your location, we were told this was a free experience and could have a photo if we forfitted our deposit." This point the woman got quite snotty with us, accussing us of coming to the shoot with no budget, to which the reply was "well, we weren't informed your photos were £100 each and we were EXPECTED to buy!"
    In the end we managed to get 5 photos for the price of 2. Then she tried to pressure us in to taking finance out for 12 months to purchase all 84 photos - for which she said she could charge £1000 (£500 each.) Hmmmm...at £100 each, 84 photos should be £8,400 - a nice £7,400 discount. When asked to justify the MASSIVE drop she said it was because we were under 25 (even though I'm not!)
    Complete scam - no consultation with the hair and makeup as promised - ushered in to the shoot and out again robotically, all they are interested in is getting the money out of you for the photos. I had to ask twice for my complimentary drink - I really did not think the "experience" was how it was portrayed it would be on their website. The hair stylish completely ignored how I wanted my hair (I wanted big hair like Cheryl Cole and was given extremely curly hair.) I did not feel comfortable enough to even ask her to change it as no attempt at conversation was made. The hair stylists and make up artists seemed more interested in answering their mobile phones and arguing about who would work Mondays shift.
    They ask you to give 10 friends names and numbers for which you get an item of makeup (this is how we "won" the "experience". This is asked BEFORE you even have the shoot and definitely before you find out the prices!!!!!! STAY AWAY! I found the whole experience disheartening and the way we felt trapped in the viewing room was extremely uncomfortable. I feel for people who I have read posts from saying they paid £400 for a few photos. Luckily being a sales person myself I wasn't screwed over TOO much, however I can see how some people could be. WOULD NOT go again!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure