Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Consumer Rights > How long do customs hold packages from the US (ro... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How long do customs hold packages from the US (roughly)
Closed Thread
Views: 4,298
# 1
peneloperigby
Old 28-01-2010, 12:52 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default How long do customs hold packages from the US (roughly)

I realise this isn't life or death but I am panicking a bit here.

My boyfriend bought me a really gorgeous dress from America (online) just tonight. He bought it for me to wear for my 30th birthday in 2 weeks. They are shipping it with International Priority Mail which is meant to be quite quick but someone mentioned customs in the UK sometimes hold packages? Does this apply to clothes and how long do they hold them for?

I'm pretty worried because he saved up for quite a while to buy me something really special and it will be terrible if it doesn't come. We have no money to buy something else and I've lost a lot of weight so can't even slip into something I already have! Big party planned, any advice welcome!
# 2
mjm3346
Old 28-01-2010, 2:37 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If all the customs papers have been completed correctly there is no reason for it to be held by customs.
There is a MSE artice on buying from the usa-

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/best-buy-usa

From around 20+ there is vat @ 17.5% to pay and Customs duty if the goods are much over 100 (on clothing it's about 12%)
# 3
Hintza
Old 28-01-2010, 7:40 AM

You will most likely be fine but to be safe I tend to allow around a month (but that was over Christmas) not much you can do really.........keep fingers crossed.
Scio me nihil scire (Socrates)

Remember Air Rhodesia Flight 827 shot down 12 Feb 1979
# 4
peneloperigby
Old 28-01-2010, 8:36 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I don't mind paying the customs fee if there is one. I'm just worried about them holding it. Am I right in thinking that if everything is done correctly by the seller then I am covered customs wise? They are using FedEx International Priority, I am very confused by customs and how/when it gets paid. The order is worth $185 which is around 111.
# 5
Hintza
Old 28-01-2010, 11:03 AM

VAT + Duty + 8 (?) clearance fee on tot al price incuding P+P. So you will have 25-30 to pay. I might add they won't hold it as such it just takes time to come through if they are busy and if it doesn't go direct to sorting office you might get a letter advising you of the charges that need paid beforte they release it. With luck it will go straight to your local sorting office though.
Scio me nihil scire (Socrates)

Remember Air Rhodesia Flight 827 shot down 12 Feb 1979

Last edited by Hintza; 28-01-2010 at 11:05 AM.
# 6
mightymolly
Old 28-01-2010, 11:04 AM
MoneySaving Convert

wonder if that's where my packages are then???
Save hard because dreams can come true!
# 7
solodanceparty
Old 28-01-2010, 11:49 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

When my aunt sends stuff, it usually gets here within 10 days. I think it also depends on the company as well, how long it'll take them to ship it. You might not have to pay a customs charge, I think they randomly check parcels. I've had loads of parcels from home and none of them get searched. You still have to pay for gifts if it's over a certain amount.
# 8
The Pedant
Old 28-01-2010, 10:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If it's sent by air mail then it's usually inside of 2 weeks.

I say usually, as I once had a package (small jiffy bag) that took .....you won't believe this ...... 2 years, 3 months!!! Sent & postmarked late March 2005, arrived July 2007! No sign of it having been opened, stuck, damaged, or anything!

I do hope any delay for you is at the lower end of the scale
# 9
Nilrem
Old 29-01-2010, 9:38 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Airmail as mentioned can be very fast (2-3 working days), normally it's about 10 days for me, however customs can end up delaying it by days/weeks although normally it's just a day or two and a trip down to the sorting office.
Closed Thread