PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

does anyone remember the haybox?

Options
I was looking at an advert for insulating jackets for hot water cylinders the other day and wondered whether an offcast one of these would be sufficient to make a substitute haybox if wrapped round my Le Creuset caserole. Has anyvody tried this and do you think would it retain sufficient heat to cook a meat caserole?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Back in the early 1970s when there were lots of power cuts I can remember making casseroles like that in boxes and packed around with as much insulating material as I could beg or borrow from my brother.I used an old insulating tank jacket that he had got from a job he was on and it worked very well.I also used thick wodges of tightly twisted newspapers and several layers of old jumpers.Anything to keep it warm.It worked o.k. and the food cooked through although it was a case of doing one day for eating the next as its not a quick way of cooking but when there is no electric and I lived in an all electric house it meant we could eat hot food . I also used several big thermos flasks for coffee and soup as it did keep things warm. I still fill a flask with boiling water if I have boiled the kettle rather than waste it.I can then make a cuppa when I feel like it and don't have to keep boiling up the kettle .
    God I'm still frugal after all these years
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well - no extra power stations needed to supply us then JackieO;) :D

Have to confess I havent yet tried my recently-acquired haybox - ie a couple of sorta cushion-type things that I have put in a trug I own (exact size for it and matched in colour:D ).
  • SharonBugs
    Options
    I just used my old laundry basket, lined at the bottom with loads of old teatowels. Then i'll sink my pressure cooker (that i had brought to a hissing boil to ensure all the meat inside is cooked) into the basket, then lined and tuck into the sides around the pot, my son's old fleece gym pants, old fleece jumpers. On top of the basket/ pot, i just cover and tuck into the sides, another old fleece jumper and top it off with my kid's old cosy tote from his buggy lol!

Well so far, it has worked. All casseroles turnout yummy, meat soft and tender. I had made lovely chicken broth the same way.

I have tried the same technique for my slow cooker. I bring it to a hot boil, and just lift the earthenpot and tuck it into the the same laundry basket. The earthen pot is still hot 8 hours later.

Hope this helps.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    SharonBugs - Unfortunately I haven't got a laundry basket, but from time to time I see really cheap zip around suitcases in charity shops which could probably be converted into a haybox if they're packed with old towels, etc. so if I can't find an old water cylinder insulating jacket, I might try this method instead. I really think we've seen the end of cheap energy and with Russia once again threatening to cut off gas supplies to Ukraine, I think we're quite vulnerable here. So I'm inclined to test some of my old Girl Guide techniques again, just in case!
  • chrisbethany
    Options
    Hi All

I recently got hold of a polystyrene box with a lid from our local farm shop. I'm looking for some poly stuffing that comes sprinkled around inside parcels. Once I get this, I'll have a go and let you know the result.

Chris
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi All

I recently got hold of a polystyrene box with a lid from our local farm shop. I'm looking for some poly stuffing that comes sprinkled around inside parcels. Once I get this, I'll have a go and let you know the result.

Chris

Hey! You could look out for/request an old sleeping bag off freecycle! It doesn't matter about size or condition, just wanting it for the bulk.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good ideas about the polystyrene box & lid, and also an old sleeping bag for insulation. Why didn't I think of these?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi
    this is a method I use frequently. I made my "hay box" out of the batting that is used to make pot mitts etc, should be easily available at handcraft stores. I got a piece large enough to wrap my cast iron casserole dish, sewed it into a piece of fleecy material, then made the rest of the material into a bag. Heated the casserole to boiling, wrapped it in the batting, popped it in the bag and then into a cane basket for ease of handling. Start the casserole in the morning and its ready for the evening meal. Tastes really great. Before serving, I unwrap and pop the casserole back on the stove and bring it back to boiling point.
    Hay box cost just a few dollars to make and has saved heaps of electricity so far!
    Hope this helps.
  • M.E.
    M.E. Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We used to use a hay box at Guide Camp. Very simply... the casserole dish with piping hot contents is put into a larger container... cardboard box will do. The space between the cardboard box and casserole is packed with anything that retains heat. Cushions, pillows, sleeping bag, polystyrene beads.Originally of course the original very cheap insulation was ...dry hay. Nowadays a cheap duvet is easier to come by than hay!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Remember to put insulation above and below the casserole dish.
    The food then cooks in its own heat whilst cooling down, usually overnight.
    To some extent it is similar to a slow cooker. However the casserole and contents have to be piping hot all the way through to begin with otherwise nothing will cook right through.
    This is also ideal for making porridge overnight. Waking up to hot porridge at camp without having to relight the wood fire was good.
    We also made hot chocolate after tea and put it into the hay box and had it last thing at night before going to bed. Very nice.
  • angela30
    angela30 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    hello everyone...
    i was just wondering if anyone still uses a haybox?.. i like the idea of them but have never used one before..
    i remember that my grandad used to have one in his kitchen and his slow meals where just great..
    i was wondering if i could use them when we all go camping? and if i get the hang of them use one in the kitchen..
    and have the slow cooker over taken the haybox????
    thanks for taking the time in reading this..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure