Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soba
    • By soba 26th Jun 06, 8:09 PM
    • 2,136Posts
    • 6,518Thanks
    soba
    Caramelised carrot chutney
    • 26th Jun 06, 8:09 PM
    Caramelised carrot chutney 26th Jun 06 at 8:09 PM
    M&S do a Wensleydale and caramelised carrot chutney butty - it's the biz. But obviously don't want to be paying 1.60 for a sarnie if I can buy (or make) some myself. I've googled but came up with nothing. Any ideas?
Page 1
  • Trow
    • 26th Jun 06, 8:22 PM
    • 26th Jun 06, 8:22 PM
    I found this online - is it anything like it?

Caramelized Carrot Chutney

We call it in Urdu 'Gajar ka Murabba' or 'Carrot sweet preserve'.

Preparation time: 20 minutes
    Cooking time: 40 minutes
    Serves persons: 8 to 10

Ingredients:
    Carrots 1/2 kg (about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds)
    Sugar 1/2 kg (about 1 1/4 to 1 1/12 pounds)
    Water 2 cups
    Lemon juice 1 Tablespoon

Method:
    Remove skin and bones of carrots and boil it. Drain carrots, properly. Cook a thick mixture of sugar and water. Add carrot in the mixture. Cook for about 15 minutes. Add lemon juice also.

This tasty and nutritious sweet preserves will last in the frig for upto a week.
  • Trow
    • 26th Jun 06, 8:23 PM
    • 26th Jun 06, 8:23 PM
    Or you might be able to order this - maybe M&S's supplier??

http://www.brackenhillfinefoods.co.uk/chutneys_sauces.htm
    • soba
    • By soba 26th Jun 06, 8:36 PM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 6,518 Thanks
    soba
    • 26th Jun 06, 8:36 PM
    • 26th Jun 06, 8:36 PM
    Method:
    Remove skin and bones of carrots and boil it.
    by Trow
    Thanks Trow, I'm not at all sure about removing skin and bones from carrots though.
  • Trow
    • 26th Jun 06, 8:53 PM
    • 26th Jun 06, 8:53 PM
    Lol - at least you weren't told to cut them to the size of a testicle, like another cut and pasted recipe said!!
    • juliapenguin
    • By juliapenguin 2nd Jun 08, 7:04 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    juliapenguin
    • 2nd Jun 08, 7:04 PM
    M&S Wensleydale and carrot chutney sandwiches
    • 2nd Jun 08, 7:04 PM
    Hi there

Does anyone have a recipe for carrot chutney like the one in the M&S sandwiches? I think the ingredients are just carrots, sugar and white wine vinegar - I meant to keep the box but it got thrown away. Those sandwiches are sooooooo delicious and I'd love to be able to make that chutney - I've never found a bought one that I actually like.

Hope someone can help!

Julia
  • sallyrsm
    • 2nd Jun 08, 7:10 PM
    • 2nd Jun 08, 7:10 PM
    My Mum made this one... it's nice. Don't buy bought sarnies so can't comment on Marks one but you could I suppose leave the sultanas out...

1 lb--500gm carrots washed and chopped, for a fine chutney grate the carrot.
    3 oz--88gm brown sugar
    3 oz--88gm sultanas
    1 pint--510 ml vinegar, malt or white
    1 teaspoon mixed spice
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    12 peppercorns
    1 bay leaf
    Method
    Put all the ingredients in a pan. Bring to the boil. Simmer till all the ingredients are tender, stir occasionally. Do not overheat so that the chutney sticks to the pan. Do not put a lid on the pan when cooking the chutney. The chutney should be tender and the liquid syrupy.
    Warm chutney jars, use a jug to put the chutney in the jars. Wipe clean, put on wax lids, top off with the cellophane lid and rubberband. Let the chutney cool, label and store.
    Enjoy
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 2nd Jun 08, 7:19 PM
    • 17,033 Posts
    • 132,633 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 2nd Jun 08, 7:19 PM
    • 2nd Jun 08, 7:19 PM
    Hi, Julia! We've had another thread asking for this recipe. Sadly, no report of whether the recipe is any good.

I'll merge the threads. When you make the chutney, let us know - I love those sarnies too

Penny. x
    Living the dream
  • pickleandpreserve
    • 30th Mar 09, 12:07 PM
    Carrot and Almond Chutney
    • 30th Mar 09, 12:07 PM
    Not quite the same as caramalised carrot chutney, but very nice all the same. Has a lot of ginger and a nice crunch to it, so great in a sandwich.

Ingredients
    1.25kg carrots
    85g grated ginger
    250ml white wine vinegar
    150ml water
    juice and grated rind of 2 lemons
    3 tbsp sugar
    1 tbsp honey
    1 tbsp salt
    2 tbsp ground coriander seeds
    1 tsp ground ginger
    2 large chillies
    3 tbsp flaked almonds

Method
    Grate the carrots and mix with all the other ingredients, except the chillies and almonds, leave to stand overnight. Bring to the boil and simmer for twenty minutes, then boil hard for ten to fifteen minutes or until thickened. Finely chop the chillies and add them and the almonds to the mixture. Pot in steralised jars.
  • laura2481

Method:
    Remove skin and bones of carrots and boil it. Drain carrots, properly. Cook a thick mixture of sugar and water. Add carrot in the mixture. Cook for about 15 minutes. Add lemon juice also.

This tasty and nutritious sweet preserves will last in the frig for upto a week.
    Originally posted by Trow
    I love that mis-translation. Makes me think it should be a caramelized parrot chutney! I don't think that would be so good with wenslydale..
  • Guanajuato
    Hope you've made sure you've got all the bones out first though.
    • juliapenguin
    • By juliapenguin 14th Sep 09, 5:15 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    juliapenguin
    I don't know - the bones would give added crunch....
  • katgirlie
    Hi,

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I wanted to recreate the M&S carrot chutney and was just wondering if anyone had tried any of these recipes? Which one is best?

Thanks!
    • juliapenguin
    • By juliapenguin 24th Jun 10, 6:46 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    juliapenguin
    I haven't - I should have done really, but none of them sounded quite right. I'll try and have a go soon, though.
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 25th Jun 10, 3:49 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 41,740 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    well I have to give this one a go now, it sounds very tempting and would be good on a ploughmans or with chicken. Hmm ploughmans for my Sunday picnic me thinks!
    Running on optimism
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z#3 camp fire coffee drinker
    Mantra for 2015 - Leave that purse shut.

• psso
    • By psso 25th Jun 10, 10:22 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 6,038 Thanks
    psso
    I`ve never tried the sandwiches, but maybe they use this chutney in them. I know they get a lot of their products from baxters, as I saw some of them being packaged when they did factory tours before the elf and safety folk stopped them.

http://www.baxters.com/products/onion-carrot-orange.html
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy

Charity knitting 2015
  • ytollan
    Caramelised Carrot Chutney
    Hi Guys,

I love these sandwiches too so i've had a go at making my own chutney. I used a red onion marmalade recipe and adjusted it. Here it is! This will make one 8oz jar of chutney!

3 medium sized carrots (grated)
    2tbsp olive oil
    1 pinch salt
    6 dessert spoons caster sugar
    100mls white wine vinegar
    50 mls water

1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan over a low heat.

2. Add grated carrot to the pan and cook slowly until soft. Add pinch salt

3. Add sugar mix until disolved

4. Pour in vinegar and water

5. Bring mixture to the boil and cook quickly until all liquid has been absorbed

6. Pour into a sterilised jar and leave to cool (to sterilise an 8oz jar, pre heat oven to 150 degrees celcius, wash jar is soapy water and rinse, place jar and lid in heated oven for 15mins)

Once opened will keep in the fridge for up to one week.

Hope you like it!
  • Vaila
    carrot chutney ?
    hi, im looking for a really basic recipe for carrot chutney
    i have carrots, garlic, oranges and spices that i could add

thanks
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 30th Oct 10, 7:48 PM
    • 9,050 Posts
    • 16,320 Thanks
    zippychick
    I've added this to an existing thread on carrot chutney
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• vucotich
    any luck with the recipies?
    Hi did any of the recipies come close ?I have just had a m&s wensleydale and chutney sarnie yummmy .Tesco also do one and thats great too probably from the same supplier. I would also love to do my own xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,054Posts Today

5,461Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I keep seeing this, but what is this EU rule? Does anyone have a source? (the petition asks for a rule to be set up) https://t.co/mgvgPUrgcr

• Many asking about brexit impact on mortgages, savings, house prices, ehic, passports, fight delays etc see my Q&A https://t.co/JNJlAhuRpj

• I'm signing off for the evening. Have a wonderful weekend and try and say something nice to someone who voted the other way to you!

• Follow Martin