Why is my shower lukewarm?

Options
We have a combi boiler (gas). The radiators are very hot to touch, we have hot water from taps but the shower doesn't get hot- just lukewarm.

Has nyone got any tips on troubleshooting this problem as I don't know what the problem is?

Thanks.

Comments

• burnsguitarman
    Options
    We had the same problem earlier this week, it turned out to be the diverter valve, which was sticking.
    It was sorted under homecare contract with BG in under 30 mins!
  • House_Hunter
    Options
    Does the temperature increase if you reduce the flowrate?

If so, it could be a blocked-up heat exchanger...
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the water from your taps is hot and the flow rate satisfactory the it suggests a problem with the mixer valve, is it a Mira or what?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Darkstar
    Darkstar Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    Our shower suddenly went look warm just over a month ago. It was the mixer valve blocked with lime scale. Striped cleaned and seals replaced for £80 and it works a treat again. This is the second time though in 4 years.

Reminder to self - must get a magnetic water softner to stop this in the future.

Dark in here, is't it...
  • totalsolutions
    Options
    Cold inlet water is freezing, so takes longer, reduce the flow so the heat exchanger can keep up?
  • VKay
    VKay Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for all your suggestions.

Reducing the flow DOES seem to help totalsolutions. Do you mean just because it's cold weather it is affected?

Yes it's a mira.
  • House_Hunter
    Options
    A boiler is limited in its flowrate by the temperature raise requirement. So if you inlet water drops by a few degC - then you will not get the same temp shower if your boiler doesn't have any slack...

But, depending on your combi, you should have ~10-12 l/min of hot water available and a shower typically uses ~6-8 l/min (obviously depends on your shower - some use 20l/min!!).

So, you shouldn't see an effect...

Try using the hot water tap of the bath - open it up fully (to give a comparable flow rate to that used in shower). Is it luke warm or nice and hot?

If its also only warm - likely to be an issue with boiler (heat exchanger or other), but if the tap water is still nice and hot - it could be the thermostatic mixer as described above.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The cold water coming into your house is much colder at this time of year. Have you tried turning the temperature control up on the Mira mixer?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • VKay
    VKay Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks again.

No bath but tap water is a bit cooler than normal too.

Will look at my Mira shower now!
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    VKay wrote: »
    Thanks again.

No bath but tap water is a bit cooler than normal too.

Will look at my Mira shower now!
    In an earlier post you said that the taps were fine. If the tap temp is now NOT fine then I'd go with the colder mains theory. Don't forget you'll notice a temp drop more at the shower head than a tap because of the spray efect of the shower. If the taps are OK ie operating as normal then I'd be suspecting the cartridge in the shower valve - assuming its a thermo of course.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure