PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

vegetable lasagne

Options
Hi every one!
Could you please help me to find a nice recipe for veggie lasagne?
I often buy the ready made chiller cabinet ones but they are very expensive!
I am sure it would be cheaper to make it yourself,plus the kids love it!
any ideas welcome!
thanks in advance!:beer:

Comments

• wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    I usually use onions, mushrooms, peppers and courgettes. Fry them up, mix with tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and any seasoning you like (and add sweetcorn and peas if you feel like it). Make a cheese sauce. Layer the veggies, lasagne sheets, and cheese sauce, as many times as you have enough ingredients for, and finish with a cheese sauce and grated cheese on top. Cook in oven until done.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Lulubells
    Lulubells Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine is similar to the above, I use leeks, mushrooms, onion, pepper, tomatos and courgettes mixed with a cheap jar tomato pasta sauce, homemade white sauce, then layer - lasagne sheets, veg, lasagne sheets,white sauce and topped with a layer of grated cheese - yummy !!

Lasagne sheets are really cheap and so is the homemade white sauce.

HTH
    Currently on a life sort-out !! ...reducing bills, decluttering and getting into fitness - busy bee ;)
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    I use a packet of Beanfeast Bolognese Style, made up and mixed with the tinned tomatoes, mushrooms and onions. This makes it look and taste a bit more like the "meat" equivalent, and it goes further too.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• puffinmuffin
    puffinmuffin Posts: 826 Forumite
    Options
    I use the usual veggies, mushrooms, pepper, onions, cougettes, sometimes spinach with chopped tomatos, herbs, stock etc. I have put in kidney beans too before. You can really experiment. Cook the veggies in the tomatoes until nearly soft, If the sauce doesn't thicken i cheat and add veggie gravy granules. I make the white (bechamel) sauce (you can get packet stuff for about 40p) and usually add a mix of chedder and mozzerella on the top. About 30 mins in the oven and a balst under the grill to brown the cheese, yum! Might have that for tea now...
    we have love enough to light the streets.
  • Lulubells
    Lulubells Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Forgot to say I put in butter beans too - they are lovely in veggy lasagne !

Lidl tinned butter beans are lovely - Asda'a are a bit dry....

Cheers
    Currently on a life sort-out !! ...reducing bills, decluttering and getting into fitness - busy bee ;)
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    I have had a quick search, but I am unable to find a recipe for this, so here's one. (if one exists, then I do apologise)

I got this recipe from my Slimming World group, originally provided by Sue.

2 large onions
    2 Peppers
    Mushrooms
    2 tins baked beans
    1 tin tomatoes
    2-4 tbsp Tomato puree
    Garlic*
    Chilli powder*
    Worcs sauce*
    Soy sauce*
    Dried lasagne sheets
    * no set amounts, just if you like them. :D

Chop and fry onions, peppers & mushrooms in a little oil (or fry light)
    When softened, add beans and tomatoes and tomato puree.
    Add flavourings to taste and salt and pepper if required.

After frying the veg, I put mine into my slow cooker and left it to fester for a few hours.
    I did add some more water, as I like my pasta to be plump. :D

Layer as usual, sauce then pasta ending with sauce.

Cover with a lid or foil and bake for 30-35 mins 200 C

Grated cheese can be sprinkled on and then popped back into the oven to melt if wished.

I found that this quantity made 5 foil dishes of lasagne, which are now in the freezer. It was really nice.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • the_optimist
    Options
    This is brilliant!
    DD and I have been cooking very healthily lately which has made DS VERY miserable as he doesn't like 'healthy' food. (Quote DS: "If it's healthy, it'll kill me!") But he loves baked beans and lasagne, so we should all like this.
    Thanks whatatwit :T
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
    Chinese Proverb
  • craig777
    craig777 Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    My mother-in-law would have a heart-attack if I told her I was going to make a baked bean lasagne... but then she is Italian! :p
  • Westywoodpecker
    Options
    I really like the sound of that, thanks. May give it ago tomorow.
    Now thanks to Tommix & Queen Bear, now Lady Westy of Woodpecker :)
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    definately sounds interesting :D
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing