IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Gaming for free
Closed Thread
Views: 1,304
# 1
Wig
Old 28-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default Gaming for free

This is the closest board I could think of for this thread.

This thread is for suggestions of PC games, either online or stand alone. Suggest good fun games which are either free or extremely cheap.

I'll start with a 100% FREE multiplayer online game - first person shooter, where you fight against other people online, and also if no-one is online then bots are used. It is a second world war Allies v Axis teams game. Game is called "Enemy Territory: Wolfenstein" you download the game for free from game sites. There are a load of users around the world who 'host' games from their own servers, it's all a bit too technical for me, but that's basically it. One of those servers is called "pronoob" if you google "pronoob"
you'll find it.
Here's an example of gameplay with no music overlay.

Here's an example of some of the fun mods that people do

Some clips with music overlay better quality

Last edited by Wig; 28-11-2009 at 6:23 PM.
# 2
CHR15
Old 28-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Combat Arms Europe is completely free.

First Person Shooter, lots of different types of games. Earn points for promotion, better weapons etc....
Biggest problem for me is the kids are too good and kick my !!!.
# 3
JasX
Old 28-11-2009, 11:24 AM

i hop onto www.newgrounds.com from time to time when i'm stuck somewhere with low bandwidth and/or a low spec machine.

a lot of junk but some of the free flash games on there can amuse for 30 mins or so quite easily
# 4
DCFC79
Old 28-11-2009, 1:49 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Runes of magic

its similar to world of warcraft but from what i heard its not as good but it could give an intro to the game genre
# 5
esuhl
Old 28-11-2009, 5:19 PM

Smile Trackmania Nations Forever

My favourite free PC game is Trackmania Nations Forever. You can race loads of tracks and see how well your friends are doing, and there's an online multiplayer mode where you can connect to a huge number of servers all over the world and compete in real time. Oh, and you can design your own tracks too.

It would probably be my favourite PC game ever... if they hadn't made Trackmania United Forever - it's a paid-for upgrade to Nations Forever that gives you loads more tracks and different cars.

I logged on yesterday and the game said there was an update/patch available. It didn't give too much information, but I installed it... and found 127 new tracks! It's like being given a new game for free! Bloomin' marvellous!
# 6
tripled
Old 28-11-2009, 5:30 PM

I used to play Travian, problem is it eats up your life as ideally you need to be monitoring the account 24 hours a day and each 'server' lasts over a year (except the speed server). It's basically a war strategy game, you start with a village and train troops to attack other villages and take their resources.
# 7
esuhl
Old 28-11-2009, 5:34 PM

Smile Emily Enough

Another great free game is Emily Enough - a retro-style graphic adventure game. Again, it's a fantastic game (whatever happened to adventure games anyway..?).
# 8
4743hudsonj
Old 28-11-2009, 5:38 PM

America's Army is a great game i play occasionally, however ive never spnt more hours on free games than on this.

This is also very funny after about level 3, gets very interesting. NOTE: you do need sound to play really, otherwise level 3 and after get very hard having to guess what to do.
# 9
-TangleFoot-
Old 28-11-2009, 6:00 PM

In no particular order:There are undoubtedly more, but I can't remember what they were. There are a few tidbits to be found over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun though...

Last edited by -TangleFoot-; 28-11-2009 at 6:05 PM. Reason: Added link to W:ET
# 10
Humphrey10
Old 28-11-2009, 6:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Kongregate has quite a range of browser based games, like with Newgrounds there's a lot of rubbish but quite a few good ones too.
# 11
mazza111
Old 28-11-2009, 6:10 PM

Only one problem with free online pc games. You seem to get a lot of smart mouthed kiddies who haven't learned any gaming etiquette there. Sometimes they can be impossible to keep banned too because of dynamic ips :confused:

However I'm a total Enemy Territory addict and server admin for same game. Would welcome newbies to join and have some fun
4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter
# 12
Marty J
Old 28-11-2009, 6:44 PM

Using ScummVM, it's possible to easily play many old point-and-click adventure games (it'll even allow you to run the Windows version on your Mac or Linux box). If you go to their downloads page and scroll to the bottom you'll see there are some full games available to legally download. I particularly recommend Beneath a Steel Sky.

There are also websites, such as Home of the Underdogs, who host so called "abandonware" titles - games that are no longer sold or whose publishers no longer exist.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty J For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
BillScarab
Old 28-11-2009, 8:53 PM

Bets free game I know of is Oolite, an open souce version of Eltie. It's not multiplayer or online though.

Runs on Windows, Linux and even Mac OS X. In fact it was originally written for OS X.

Superb game for old people who want to relive their youth.
It's my problem, it's my problem
If I feel the need to hide
And it's my problem if I have no friends
And feel I want to die

# 14
timmmers
Old 28-11-2009, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazza111 View Post
Only one problem with free online pc games. You seem to get a lot of smart mouthed kiddies who haven't learned any gaming etiquette there. Sometimes they can be impossible to keep banned too because of dynamic ips :confused:

However I'm a total Enemy Territory addict and server admin for same game. Would welcome newbies to join and have some fun
Well we don't get many of those over at Entropia Universe ...age limited due to a real cash economy there, but free to play and download.

AFAIK the only CryEngine2 online game for freemans.
at the moment there's one planet in the universe...but the time has come for several others to launch now CE2 is up and the bugs ironed out. lemmy from Motorhead has one coming up http://www.rocktropia.com/rocktropia101/ and those guys who built the World islands in the gulf have one too...there are several.

The main planet has been around years http://www.planetcalypso.com/home/ but is basically being relaunched hence that second golden age thing on the homepage...that refers to uber items being found ingame until Xmas that is some cases are worth several thousand dollars ..or tens of in one case so far. The ingame currency links to the $ at 10 to 1 ratio. Mindark who run the universe just got a RL Swedish banking licence and are totally legit.

CE2 looks a lot like this ;-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPO2I...eature=channel

It's not a game for the ones who like to hit level whatever and max it out...no-one maxes this one, it's impossible. As it's a cash economy it's possible to make money here too...not easy without putting some in, but many do it by trading and sweating and ingame services.

I think I'm probably worth more ingame than IRL right now

It's almost a 4 gig download ...and Ce2 isn't for weak machines ...but if anyoone fancies a look I'd be happy to show you around ingame (it's easier with help at first to find your feet ) . I've been there for over 3 years now.

t
If you're not winning. You're not trying hard enough.

Facebook : Tim Bain Twitter: @TimothyBain feel free to add etc,

Last edited by timmmers; 28-11-2009 at 9:10 PM.
# 15
jaydeeuk1
Old 28-11-2009, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty J View Post

There are also websites, such as Home of the Underdogs, who host so called "abandonware" titles - games that are no longer sold or whose publishers no longer exist.
Thanks for that, thought hotu had simply disappeared forever.
With a paltry 90 brake horse power, hills in 5th gear can be power sappingly mundane and overtaking articulated lorries can become a long drawn out experience. Not my words Carrol, but the words of Top Gear Magazine
Closed Thread