Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    bigalc
    Which is the best Kitchen for Quaility
    • 23rd Nov 09, 11:01 PM
    Which is the best Kitchen for Quaility 23rd Nov 09 at 11:01 PM
    Hi, new to the site and looking for some advise on kitchen units. I have been looking at Magnet and Moben (or Kitchens Direct as they are supply only) the ranges seem very similar and the price was almost the same. Magnet slightly dearer. Magnet offer a 15 year guarentee and Moben a 5 year on the cabinets. They both offer ridgid build. I have also stumbled accross DIY Kitchens and Wren Kitchens which are internet only (ie im in Scotland and cant get to their showrooms). Both of these kitchens are half the price of Moben/Magnet. These Internet companys offer 10 year guarentees on the cabinets but i can only go from pictures and word of mouth on the quality. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through the same experience recently and what the choice was and were they satisfied?

Cheers Al
Page 1
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 23rd Nov 09, 11:04 PM
    • 21,190 Posts
    • 36,785 Thanks
    SailorSam
    • 23rd Nov 09, 11:04 PM
    • 23rd Nov 09, 11:04 PM
    Ikea, when the kitchen fitter we had fitted it he said it was better than most.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • MrYorke
    • 24th Nov 09, 7:43 AM
    • 24th Nov 09, 7:43 AM
    Ikea are good but alot of work for the fitter as the space for the utilities ie. drainage/water pipes is not there like 'normal' kitchens so if you have a couple of these running along the walls they'll be spending longer cutting holes for these to run.

Sigma 3 are good. These come ready assembled so will be more expensive. Try Howdens asell. These are a good deal and good quality and come assembled but without the extra cost usually.

I would advise you plan a trip to see a few of these if possible because if you buy a kitchen that you dont like, then you have to live with it for how ever many years you'll be in that property as i'm sure going through sending it back and getting another one would be a right pain in the a**e.

Go onto the various sites, find out where the nearest ones are to eachother and plan a day of kitchens.
  • JamesBlue
    • 24th Nov 09, 9:35 AM
    • 24th Nov 09, 9:35 AM
    Hi, new to the site and looking for some advise on kitchen units. I have been looking at Magnet and Moben (or Kitchens Direct as they are supply only) the ranges seem very similar and the price was almost the same. Magnet slightly dearer. Magnet offer a 15 year guarentee and Moben a 5 year on the cabinets. They both offer ridgid build. I have also stumbled accross DIY Kitchens and Wren Kitchens which are internet only (ie im in Scotland and cant get to their showrooms). Both of these kitchens are half the price of Moben/Magnet. These Internet companys offer 10 year guarentees on the cabinets but i can only go from pictures and word of mouth on the quality. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through the same experience recently and what the choice was and were they satisfied?

Cheers Al
    Originally posted by bigalc
    My mate just had a kitchen done by Magnet - they may be a good company, but their quote came up double than a local firms quote - my advice is to shop about before you make your choice!

James The man who walks on the moon!
    Cheers Al [/QUOTE]
  • bigalc
    • 24th Nov 09, 12:54 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 12:54 PM
    Thanks for the advise. I have been to Howdens. Impressed with the quality but the price was the same as Magnets/Moben. Interested to hear if anyone has recently purchased from Wren or DIY and what they thought?

Cheers
  • bennybroadbean
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:19 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:19 PM
    Have you tried Wren Kitchens? Looked at them at the weekend and they seemed pretty good.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 24th Nov 09, 1:32 PM
    • 23,898 Posts
    • 66,430 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:32 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:32 PM
    There is no way that a Howdens kitchen should cost anywhere near as much as Magnet or Moben. What range did you look at and what were you quoted?

Steer well clear of Moben for a completely overpriced kitchen. When a salesman can give you the price of the kitchen but not the price of a tap included in that kitchen, then you really know they are making the prices up.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • maoleoin
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:42 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:42 PM
    Don't bother with Sigma 3 or County Kitchens which seems to be the other trading name. They are a nightmare to deal with, I speak from very bitter experience.
  • bigalc
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:46 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:46 PM
    Honest gov, we have 23 units in the kitchen. Price from Magnet was £7900, Moben £7500 and Howdens £7500 for the high gloss black/white. All fair prices i thought. Just waiting on a price from Wren. Did the online calculator on DIY kitchens web site and got to £4000 so hence my question. There is a dranstic difference in price between the guys with the showroom, magnet/moben/howdens and the Internet dudes with pictures and videos. Is there a difference in quality that warrents almost double the price, in anyones experience?

Cheers
    Al
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 24th Nov 09, 4:06 PM
    • 23,898 Posts
    • 66,430 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    There is no way that a genuine trade quote for a Howdens kitchen should be the same as a high street offering. It should be less than the DIY kitchens one really as well. Did they give you the quote themselves?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • fishing-girl
    my joiner has just finished fitting my DIY-kitchen.com.he was very impressed with the quality of the units.
    i sent a plan of my kitchen with the order,and a rep from the company went over all the measurements and units with me to make sure it would fit and that i had ordered all the extra bits, fillers etc.
    it arrived on time. a couple of bits were missing but these were soon sent..
    we went to visit the showroom,but they will send sample doors out to you.
    on the whole i am very pleased with the finished kitchen.would reccomend.
  • mrsheenpearl60
    i have noticed loads of people popping up saying wren kitchens....considering what they offer i think theres a few too many people recommending them if you get my drift.........have to say diy kitchens do offer phenomenal value....they have a bigger range of doors from the people that supply howdens at real trade prices..not sure about their carcases never having seen them but it doesnt take much for a builder used to Howdens to be impressed by someone elses. never bought from diy kitchens so i cant comment there but on price they have it nailed, if u have shares in kitchen italia bin them as they do exactly same as diy kitchens but at a big premium. PWS doors are quite good but hardly cutting edge........still id have those over ikea b and q homebase everyday of the week!
  • bennybroadbean
    i have noticed loads of people popping up saying wren kitchens....considering what they offer i think theres a few too many people recommending them if you get my drift.........have to say diy kitchens do offer phenomenal value....they have a bigger range of doors from the people that supply howdens at real trade prices..not sure about their carcases never having seen them but it doesnt take much for a builder used to Howdens to be impressed by someone elses. never bought from diy kitchens so i cant comment there but on price they have it nailed, if u have shares in kitchen italia bin them as they do exactly same as diy kitchens but at a big premium. PWS doors are quite good but hardly cutting edge........still id have those over ikea b and q homebase everyday of the week!
    Originally posted by mrsheenpearl60
    Wren seem to be ok all part of the ebuyer group if your unsure go and have a look at their show room in Stevenage you will be impressed I think.
  • beetlebum
    About 3 months ago I ordered a kitchen from DIY-Kitchens for my Mother. Once I had the design I was happy with (I used B&Q's & Wrens website planner) I ordered the units and Duropal worktop from DIY-Kitchens. Really impressed with the quality of the units and service from them. Not only that, the delivery chaps were absolutely fantastic. They were ordered blind without physically seeing them. Went for Broadoak Natural by the way and took about 2 weeks from order to delivery.
  • telsokari
    i just ordered my kitchen from Ikea. The guy was excellent going through our plan and advised a few changes which made perfect sense.

We got 16 units, solid wood work top 28mm thick, extractor hood and hob from them all for £1600

we got our oven (Bosch) for £230 and fridge (LG American fridge) for £450 from Comet clearance which has lead to our new kitchen costing us just £2200
  • pusscat
    I went to visit the DIY kitchens showroom and site - somewhere near Doncaster I think it was.

I was really impressed - they opened up specially for me and the guy who was there (I suspect he was the MD or something) was really helpful, not at all pushy and the quality was far better than the other units I had looked at.

I was recommended to them by my carpenter - he has fitted several and is really impressed. I have not done anything as yet as I am still planning, but I am pretty sure it will be from DIY kitchens.

Hope this helps a bit

Puss
    • booty40uk
    • By booty40uk 25th Nov 09, 7:17 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    booty40uk
    Wickes every time........fitted hundreds of them and they are top quality for the money.

hth andy
    • stolt
    • By stolt 26th Nov 09, 7:44 AM
    • 2,793 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    stolt
    wren kitchens are hopless, i posted about it on another thread. Had really bad customer service from there and would never even if they were 50% cheaper than all the rest, so would stay away. We are now going around the small independants where we live. But i have also been reccomended ikea aswell.
    Listen to what people say, but watch what people what people do!!
    • CKdesigner
    • By CKdesigner 26th Nov 09, 2:34 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    CKdesigner
    Wren seem to be ok all part of the ebuyer group if your unsure go and have a look at their show room in Stevenage you will be impressed I think.
    Originally posted by bennybroadbean
    Stevenage! Where in Stevenage?

CK
  • bigalc
    Thanks for all your advise. Its much appreciated. I am going for DIY-kitchens. Ill let you know how i get on.

Cheers
    Al
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,864Posts Today

6,689Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin