Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance > Bank Of Scotland Preference account PPI (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Bank Of Scotland Preference account PPI
Views: 10,536
# 1
paulman
Old 02-11-2009, 5:06 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Bank Of Scotland Preference account PPI

I have posted before about 2 loans I am reclaiming PPI on but I have a BOS Preference Account which I am paying CreditCare PPI on. I have had this account since 1999 and when I took the card I was in employment where all sickness was paid. I rang the insurance company to ascertain whether the policy includes sickness benefits and lo and behold it does. I then rang BOS to clarify some other details and logged the mis selling complaint verbally prior to sending a stage 1 letter. The chap I spoke to said that someone from their customer care department would ring me within 5 working days to discuss the issue. I think as other posters have observed that banks are trying to be a bit more "personal".
Hopefully I can sort out the mis selling claim which I reckon to be worth about 3500 over the phone!.......I wont hold my breath though.

Has anyone else had success on reclaiming PPI based on sickness cover when this is provided by your employer when they had obviously signed for the insurance in the first place.?
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to paulman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
di3004
Old 02-11-2009, 5:56 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulman View Post
I have posted before about 2 loans I am reclaiming PPI on but I have a BOS Preference Account which I am paying CreditCare PPI on. I have had this account since 1999 and when I took the card I was in employment where all sickness was paid. I rang the insurance company to ascertain whether the policy includes sickness benefits and lo and behold it does. I then rang BOS to clarify some other details and logged the mis selling complaint verbally prior to sending a stage 1 letter. The chap I spoke to said that someone from their customer care department would ring me within 5 working days to discuss the issue. I think as other posters have observed that banks are trying to be a bit more "personal".
Hopefully I can sort out the mis selling claim which I reckon to be worth about 3500 over the phone!.......I wont hold my breath though.

Has anyone else had success on reclaiming PPI based on sickness cover when this is provided by your employer when they had obviously signed for the insurance in the first place.?

Good luck with this and bumping up for you the same time.X
!h! !!! !!d !!!y &q!!!;D!zzy D!&q!!!;
The Following User Says Thank You to di3004 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
finatra26
Old 02-11-2009, 6:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hi Paulman - I wom with BOS CC going back further than yours - one of my reasons being that my employer pays full pay if off sick - good lick with this
The Following User Says Thank You to finatra26 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
paulman
Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default BOS Preference Card payout delays

A bit of info. for all those successful claimants of missold PPI on Preference accounts through Bank of Scotland. I received a letter on 16th december informing me my claim had been upheld on a Preference Account dating back to 1999 but after numerous chases have been told today there is a THREE AND A HALF MONTH DELAY in calculating redress. This is apparently due to the time taken in looking through old statements held on microfiche. (Computer records go back to 2005). With the amount of claims going through and the amount of interest accruing by the day, it would probably be cheaper for BOS to set on a few more staff to speed up this process!
Anyway I have contacted the FOS to complain and we will see what response I get.......
The Following User Says Thank You to paulman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
di3004
Old 01-02-2010, 2:42 PM

Quote:
A bit of info. for all those successful claimants of missold PPI on Preference accounts through Bank of Scotland. I received a letter on 16th december informing me my claim had been upheld on a Preference Account dating back to 1999 but after numerous chases have been told today there is a THREE AND A HALF MONTH DELAY in calculating redress. This is apparently due to the time taken in looking through old statements held on microfiche. (Computer records go back to 2005). With the amount of claims going through and the amount of interest accruing by the day, it would probably be cheaper for BOS to set on a few more staff to speed up this process!
Anyway I have contacted the FOS to complain and we will see what response I get.......

Hello there
Sorry to hear of the messing around you have been going through, fingers crossed with the FOS.
# 6
NeKo
Old 06-05-2010, 1:16 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Time Scales

Quote:
I am in the same situation and recieved a letter on 18th March upholding my case and advising that a refund would be made in next 28 days. I have been chasing this up on a weekly basis but approx two weeks ago I had a return call advising that it could take another month! I originally registered my complaint on 19th Dec 2009 and I'm not very happy that this has been dragging on for so long. BRGDS NeKO

Last edited by NeKo; 06-05-2010 at 1:18 AM. Reason: typos
The Following User Says Thank You to NeKo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
NeKo
Old 06-05-2010, 1:23 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by finatra26 View Post
Hi Paulman - I wom with BOS CC going back further than yours - one of my reasons being that my employer pays full pay if off sick - good lick with this
mine went back to 1978... No wonder they are taking so long! NeKo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeKo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
kphutch
Old 26-08-2010, 1:02 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi, I`ve just received a letter from RBS, saying they owe me the full amount I paid for a ppi. Great news. But they put it into an account I no longer have with RBS, as I had to take out an IVA about 12 months ago. Can they keep the money, if it was not for a unpaid loan? The ppi loan was paid off about 4yrs ago...
The Following User Says Thank You to kphutch For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
di3004
Old 26-08-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphutch View Post
Hi, I`ve just received a letter from RBS, saying they owe me the full amount I paid for a ppi. Great news. But they put it into an account I no longer have with RBS, as I had to take out an IVA about 12 months ago. Can they keep the money, if it was not for a unpaid loan? The ppi loan was paid off about 4yrs ago...

Hi there

Well done on this.

Personally I would contact them to make sure on this, although I am aware if there is monies still owed they have the right to have the refund paid directly to the account, but anything remaining and interest should be refunded directly to you.

Give them a ring, good luck.
# 10
ericha6677
Old 19-02-2012, 9:28 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have two Bank Of Scotland preference accounts unfortunately, made some really disastrous errors a few years ago when in very bad circumstances. Have tried before to reclaim ppi on these accounts and been told couldn't be done. Would be very eager to hear how other posters have managed, even if it does take a while, I am paying huge interest on these accounts.
# 11
amersall
Old 19-02-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericha6677 View Post
I have two Bank Of Scotland preference accounts unfortunately, made some really disastrous errors a few years ago when in very bad circumstances. Have tried before to reclaim ppi on these accounts and been told couldn't be done. Would be very eager to hear how other posters have managed, even if it does take a while, I am paying huge interest on these accounts.
Give them a ring,have your reasons for mis sell ready,if they tell you that you cannot claim,ask the reasons for this and post back here and we can take it from there.

The Following User Says Thank You to amersall For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
stutray
Old 08-03-2012, 11:05 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I took out a loan many years ago and ended up with the preference account as a by product.
Thanksfully I have never used it.

I just wanted to know if this is still classed a mis-selling.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks folks.
# 13
amersall
Old 21-03-2012, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutray View Post
I took out a loan many years ago and ended up with the preference account as a by product.
Thanksfully I have never used it.

I just wanted to know if this is still classed a mis-selling.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks folks.
If you have not used it then there is no complaint, the choice to use this was up to you, sorry.

# 14
amersall
Old 21-03-2012, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorbin View Post
Unfortunately, I used the preference account debit card after having received a loan from BOS. The problem i have,is that,I thought i'd be able to do a 0% transfer but as it's a DEBIT card I cant do that!. Is there any way of doing a 0% transfer from a debit card account? The interest is very high on this account. I just took out a Barclaycard credit card for the purpose and only have about 4 weeks now to do a transfer if possible.
Try posting here
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...splay.php?f=11
They can help you more with this.

# 15
incorbin
Old 22-03-2012, 11:16 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks. Will do
# 16
Armoureddrummer
Old 06-10-2014, 2:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Any luck with BOS Preference cards with credit care gold? I tried to call and make a claim today but I was told Credit Care Gold was not PPI? Therefore they could not do anything? Surely it is the same thing?

I know this thread is a bit old now but I would love to hear how any of you got on if this pops up in your emails or anything.
# 17
amersall
Old 06-10-2014, 8:59 PM

Thanked 17,867 Times in 10,571 Posts

Get back in touch and ask them what this covers, ask for the terms.

# 18
Armoureddrummer
Old 07-10-2014, 8:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have a copy of the terms for most of the CreditCare Agreements here in hard copy. I will start a new thread as it is not fair to put my case in with someone elses thread.
# 19
Moneyineptitude
Old 08-10-2014, 1:29 AM

Thanked 5,721 Times in 4,485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armoureddrummer View Post
I have a copy of the terms for most of the CreditCare Agreements here in hard copy. I will start a new thread as it is not fair to put my case in with someone elses thread.
Unfortunately, as on your other thread, your insurance is not PPI. You can still complain it was mis-sold, but difficult to say you didn't need life insurance unless you are immortal.