Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

What Benefit can 16 year old claim, please>
    • 16th Oct 09, 10:25 AM
    What Benefit can 16 year old claim, please> 16th Oct 09 at 10:25 AM
    My 16 year old daughter (who lives at home with me) left school in the summer, hoping to start work. But the job has fallen through. Now she is unemployed, not in education or training. Can she claim any Benefits?

My own situation is I'm single, receive DLA and Income Support. I have a younger 8 year old daughter, too.
    I informed the Job Centre last week about my 16 year old daughters situation and they have said I cannot claim for her any more, and they are cutting my Income Support by over £50 per week and stopping child benefit.

I asked them how are we supposed to feed and clothe my daughter? They told us she must make a claim herself. But they also said she cannot claim job seekers allowance because she's too young.

We are very confused. As a family we are effectively facing an Income drop of £70 per week counting the lost Child Benefit.
    Can anyone advise, please? The Income Support help line have no answer.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

1,912Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Starting to get pumped up about the Davis cup - go GB!!! Come on Murrays

• RT @StigAbell: Protestors today shouting "no more wars". It would be lovely if life were as simple as that.

• RT @Stressed_Eric72: @MartinSLewis Well on that basis you'll end the series on a high note.

• Follow Martin