Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > What Benefit can 16 year old claim, please> (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What Benefit can 16 year old claim, please>
Closed Thread
Views: 11,003
# 1
allyssa
Old 16-10-2009, 10:25 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default What Benefit can 16 year old claim, please>

My 16 year old daughter (who lives at home with me) left school in the summer, hoping to start work. But the job has fallen through. Now she is unemployed, not in education or training. Can she claim any Benefits?

My own situation is I'm single, receive DLA and Income Support. I have a younger 8 year old daughter, too.
I informed the Job Centre last week about my 16 year old daughters situation and they have said I cannot claim for her any more, and they are cutting my Income Support by over 50 per week and stopping child benefit.

I asked them how are we supposed to feed and clothe my daughter? They told us she must make a claim herself. But they also said she cannot claim job seekers allowance because she's too young.

We are very confused. As a family we are effectively facing an Income drop of 70 per week counting the lost Child Benefit.
Can anyone advise, please? The Income Support help line have no answer.
# 2
LizzieS
Old 16-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

AFAIK under 18's cannot claim anything - they have a straight choice of working or studying. In the latter case CB & CTC can be reinstated.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizzieS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
DX2
Old 16-10-2009, 10:44 AM

Get her back into education, keep 70 and she would be entitled to claim EMA which is 30 per week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DX2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Fran
Old 16-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You can get Child Benefit extended if the following apply HMRC.gov

Quote:
they have registered for work, education or training with the Careers Service, or Connexions Service (in Northern Ireland, the Department for Employment and Learning or an Education and Library Board), the Ministry of Defence or any corresponding body in another European Union member state
they are not working for 24 hours or more a week for which payment is received or expected
immediately before the extension period begins you were entitled to Child Benefit for the young person
you make a written request for the extension within three months of the end of education or training
the extension period for that person has not ended.

You can also carry on with Child Tax Credits HMRC.gov pdf

Quote:
Child Tax Credit helps to support
• a child until 1 September after their 16th birthday
• a young person aged from 16 but under 20 years old in full-time education or unwaged training, up to and including ‘A’ levels, NVQ level 3 or Scottish Highers or approved, unwaged training
• a young person aged 16 or 17 who
o has left full-time non advanced education or training but does not have a job or a training place and has registered with the Careers Service or Connexions Service (Training and Employment Agency in Northern Ireland)
o is not claiming Income Support, Incapacity Benefit or tax credits in his or her own right
o is not in full-time work of 24 hours or more a week.

So basically as long as she is registered with the Careers Service/Connexions you will carry on getting the extended Child Benefit for 20 weeks and CTC. I'm not sure where you got your information but Income Support is for you not your child and Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits are administered by HMRC not the Jobcentre.
Torgwen.......... ...........

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Techie, Benefits & Employment, Utilities, Small biz and Redundancy boards to help them run smoothly & I can move posts & threads but don't read them all. Dealing with illegal or inappropriate posts is not part of my role. Please report them to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are mine not official MoneySavingExpert ones.
# 5
allyssa
Old 16-10-2009, 11:28 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi Fran, the information I was given, was from my local Income Support adviser at Job Centre plus. I have never received child tax credits for my children. Money for my children has always been included in my Income Support.
# 6
Oldernotwiser
Old 16-10-2009, 12:57 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You need to make an appointment for her with Connexions which will restart your money (as detailed above) and also enable her to get back into education and training. It's a great shame that she's missed the start of the academic year as this will limit her options; when did her job fall through?
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldernotwiser For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
pitneygal
Old 08-07-2011, 8:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default can anyone help

my 16 year is injured and wont be able to work for months maybe ever can she claim or can we for her
# 8
MrsManda
Old 08-07-2011, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitneygal View Post
my 16 year is injured and wont be able to work for months maybe ever can she claim or can we for her
Has she been working?
Is she in education?
Are you claiming Child Benefit/Child Tax Credits for her?

Does she have mobility and/or care needs which have lasted at least 3 months and which are expected to last for at least 6 months? - if this is the case she can apply for Disability Living Allowance
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...le/DG_10011816
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsManda For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread