IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Next Directory PPI
Views: 14,562
# 1
Nix3517
Old 09-10-2009, 12:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Next Directory PPI

Hello (new face here!) .

I am attempting to claim back PPI from Next Directory. I have had an account with them for 17 years. It was only in the last couple of weeks, having started claims against FirstPlus and Tesco that I thought I'd have a look at my Next account and see if I was paying them PPI, which I am!

I wrote to them requesting a copy of my agreement and a breakdown of all the payments I have made. Received a letter from them today saying that at the time my account was opened "you would have been required to confirm that you did not wish to take out the protection, either by replying to advise this when the T&Cs were sent to you or at any time since that date". I goes on to say that that the FOS will only consider cases referred to them by the FSA or if the incident took place after April 2007. It also says that Next was not regulated by the FSA prior to 2005 so the FOS rules and regulations do not apply. I think they are telling me to go away

It seems to me that the PPI was automatically added and that it was up to me to contact them to "opt out" - clearly I didn't know this as I would have done so! As far the stuff about the FOS and the FSA I haven't a clue where this leaves me.....

Can anyone out there advise what my next course of action should be, if any? I'd be really grateful for any help on this:confused:
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Nix3517 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
di3004
Old 09-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hello and welcome.

I hate it when that happens......sorry to hear that.

However, you may note by reading through the threads there are many in the same situation.

I know this is an old case here, but maybe "just a suggestion", ask if they will consider refunding you then the last 6 years, or give the FOS a ring to ask if there is any other way around this matter, even if the business were not governed as such when you taken this out etc.

Ring the FOS and ask is there any other way around this one, as its an old one, maybe the underwriter direction perhaps.

FOS here:
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...act/index.html

I think its best for you to find out, as not all business discloses where you can go from there.
Good luck.
The one and only "Dizzy Di"
The Following User Says Thank You to di3004 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Nix3517
Old 09-10-2009, 1:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for the advice, I will get onto the FOS and see what their view is. I am also going to write to NEXT again requesting that they actually send me a copy of the agreement (as I requested in my first letter) so that I can read the Terms & Conditions myself. It seems to me that, as I didn't actually request the PPI in the first place, they shouldn't have had the right to add it on by default - grrr. I'm not holding out much hope on this one to be honest, and its not a huge amount of money in the scale of things but I will certainly take it a bit further and see what happens - feeling brave today !
# 4
di3004
Old 09-10-2009, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix3517 View Post
Thanks for the advice, I will get onto the FOS and see what their view is. I am also going to write to NEXT again requesting that they actually send me a copy of the agreement (as I requested in my first letter) so that I can read the Terms & Conditions myself. It seems to me that, as I didn't actually request the PPI in the first place, they shouldn't have had the right to add it on by default - grrr. I'm not holding out much hope on this one to be honest, and its not a huge amount of money in the scale of things but I will certainly take it a bit further and see what happens - feeling brave today !
Your welcome.
Good luck with this and keep at them.
Enclose a £1 postal order or cheque payment for the request of your agreement, if they cannot send this to you then they must return your payment with an explanation.

Hopefully the FOS will be able to guide you on this also, fingers crossed.
# 5
Nix3517
Old 09-10-2009, 2:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks, will definitely take it furtheras I've nothing to lose really. They have though as I am going to pay off my balance and cancel my agreement so they are going to lose my business!

I have only recently sent off first response letters to Tesco Personal Finance and FirstPlus as well so my brain is getting overloaded with all this but I am determined to get what's owed to us. My husband was self-employed at the time both loans were taken out (in his name) so the PPI would have been all but pointless. I will post-up progress on these as and when we get any
# 6
di3004
Old 09-10-2009, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix3517 View Post
Thanks, will definitely take it furtheras I've nothing to lose really. They have though as I am going to pay off my balance and cancel my agreement so they are going to lose my business!

I have only recently sent off first response letters to Tesco Personal Finance and FirstPlus as well so my brain is getting overloaded with all this but I am determined to get what's owed to us. My husband was self-employed at the time both loans were taken out (in his name) so the PPI would have been all but pointless. I will post-up progress on these as and when we get any
Good luck.
# 7
hpatters
Old 03-11-2009, 10:16 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Next Directory

I personally believe Next misold me both PPI and credit some time ago when I was only 17 years old and still at school. They added PPI to my account even though you cannot accept PPI when you are not in a full time job - the logic being PPI protects yours paymenst as a result of loss of employment but if you have no employment to lose, there is no need for PPI.

They also gave me credit when I was underage (under UK law you have to be 18+ to be able to be offered any credit).

There is no signed credit agreement in effect either.

I am taking Next to court and have a date set in Feb 2010. If you too were mis-sold PPI or credit by Next Directory, or have credit with Next and no signed credit agreement, please drop me a line.
The Following User Says Thank You to hpatters For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
gracielou09
Old 10-02-2011, 10:49 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Next directory PPI

Hi there,

I know the details of this post was posted a year ago. But just wondering if you got anywhere with recovering Next PPI through the courts?

Thanku
# 9
BUSYB
Old 13-04-2011, 12:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi I would be interested to know if anyone got anywhere with Next ppi. Had a letter today saying they have no paperwork at all as the policy was taken out in 2000 and they only need to keep for 6 years. I have only just cancelled the policy ( didnt realise I had it ) so surely the 6 years is from when the policy is cancelled and not from when taken out?
# 10
roonaldo
Old 13-04-2011, 2:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSYB View Post
Hi I would be interested to know if anyone got anywhere with Next ppi. Had a letter today saying they have no paperwork at all as the policy was taken out in 2000 and they only need to keep for 6 years. I have only just cancelled the policy ( didnt realise I had it ) so surely the 6 years is from when the policy is cancelled and not from when taken out?
no, sales documentation would be from 2000, so 6 years from then.
# 11
BUSYB
Old 15-04-2011, 12:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for the clarification. Is it a waste of time then, have I got no chance?
# 12
charleyzee
Old 18-01-2012, 2:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Next update?

Hi,

I am just wondering if any of those who have submitted have had success with Next yet? I am at the very beginning of my claim but, as with others, I have been a Next customer for years & PPI was automatically applied to my account, without me being asked.

I also don't know where I send my claim form too? Is there a specific address at Next directory for PPI claimants?

On the positive, I received a letter In November from Northern Rock, telling me I was entitled to a refund. This was totally out of the blue as I hadn't even begun to look into the PPI issue at that stage. I filled in a very brief form & that was it. Last week I received a letter telling me I'm entitled to a full refund, plus 8% interest - £2500!

If only all banks & credit companies were as efficient!
Best wishes,
Charley
# 13
Gill-R
Old 19-01-2012, 11:13 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Question re form

Hi, I too have been a next customer for numerous years. Can you let me know what claim form you filled in?

would also be interested in finding out if anyone has been successful with regards to claiming form Next?
# 14
yvettesg
Old 07-07-2012, 8:14 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi, new to the forums, I have just put a claim into Next, as just discovered that I have been paying PPI to them for years. Has anyone had any success with them??
# 15
Moneyineptitude
Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 AM

This thread is ancient. Start a new thread if you have genuine queries.
# 16
Wrightie
Old 28-08-2012, 7:37 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I am about to issue legal proceedings against NEXT. I have recently discovered that I have had PPI for 22 years as it was an "opt-out" addition to my account. The Limitation Act allows a period of 6 years from your date of knowledge. As I access my account on-line and pay each month, it is NOT clear that PPI is included on my statement. As I never requested it, I have never closely investigated whwether it exists. Also, there is extensive case law stating that acceptance of an offer (e.g. for PPI) cannot be silent! So, as I never accepted the PPI, they have no right to charge me for it. I have given them until the end of the week or I will issue legal proceedings. My advice is that everyone else does the same!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wrightie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Bretheren
Old 28-08-2012, 9:55 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I will this has been frustrating me for some years. Is there a template letter and I will get mine out soon as. I got nowhere with the FOS with this I estimate I was paying PPI for 20 years
# 18
Alan E
Old 15-11-2012, 8:37 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Next PPI claims

My wife has explored every avenue in an attempt to resolve the issue of P.P.I. payments taken by Next over the last twenty years without her knowledge. She has arrived at the same place as hundreds and thousands of you other have, a dead end!
So why not use the words of Ministers who when speaking to the media state "It may be right but it is Immoral" Our PM has used these words, Margaret Hodge this week has spoken about doing the right thing.
Use these words to bombard our PM our champion could be Vince Cable, write to the Chancellor,forgotten his name! Or Mr Clegg?

Chase after everybody else in power, who has dealings with Lord Wolfson C.E. of Next and advisor to the Conservative party. Ask them to tell his Lordship "Yes it is the law but No it is immoral, it is unjust and unfair. If enough people say it enough times then enough could be enough. Do not give in, write to all your MPs about Lord Wolfson and the stance his company has taken.
# 19
dunstonh
Old 15-11-2012, 1:55 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan E View Post
My wife has explored every avenue in an attempt to resolve the issue of P.P.I. payments taken by Next over the last twenty years without her knowledge. She has arrived at the same place as hundreds and thousands of you other have, a dead end!
So why not use the words of Ministers who when speaking to the media state "It may be right but it is Immoral" Our PM has used these words, Margaret Hodge this week has spoken about doing the right thing.
Use these words to bombard our PM our champion could be Vince Cable, write to the Chancellor,forgotten his name! Or Mr Clegg?

Chase after everybody else in power, who has dealings with Lord Wolfson C.E. of Next and advisor to the Conservative party. Ask them to tell his Lordship "Yes it is the law but No it is immoral, it is unjust and unfair. If enough people say it enough times then enough could be enough. Do not give in, write to all your MPs about Lord Wolfson and the stance his company has taken.
Problem with all that is that there is nothing wrong with having PPI. There are plenty of people who have it and need it and people are still buying it by choice every day (mainly on mortgages to be fair where it is deemed to be a valuable insurance still).

So, if you have PPI but no evidence of any wrong doing then it is not reason to get a refund.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
# 20
money maker mummy
Old 23-06-2013, 10:19 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Confused - please help!

Hi, back in 2009 I ordered some clothes online, from Next. When they sent them they sent them to my previous address (I forgot to change it). I got in touch with them and gave them my real address and they resent them to me - but to my old address again. Luckily i managed to get them from my old address as the tenants gave them ti me when i went down. The total spend was £260 ish. I got these for my son however most didn't fit him properly so i asked to return them. 3 times i requested a collection and 3 times no one came. I was 18 at the time and on income support as i was a lone parent. I tried to send back about £100 of the clothes but no one bothered to collect them. In the end they was demanding all £160 back and and it was passed on (i think) and i offered a settlement of £100. Could i have been charged for PPI? And what about the catalogue charges? i never asked for a catalogue as i could look online but got charged for it anyway. I've never bought from next since - and the worst thing is on my credit report its ruined it saying i owe £60 - when they agreed on £100?

What could I do? Did i get charged PPI?
June Grocery Challange £141.00/£240[/SIZE]
VSP Challenge £46.61[/SIZE]
SPC £11.61[/SIZE]
In approx £1800 debt! Want to be debt free for March 2014[/SIZE]
Reclaiming what I'm owed - Halifax, Yorkshire Bank & Argos[/SIZE]