Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    rainbow8
    New fitted wardrobes or revamp old ones?
    • 6th Oct 09, 3:00 PM
    New fitted wardrobes or revamp old ones? 6th Oct 09 at 3:00 PM
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and so hope I am posting in the right place, apologies if not! I would really appreciate some advice or pointers on smelly/musty/mouldy fitted wardrobes.

We have a problem with mould around the windows in our bedroom, due to some missed ‘pointing’ when our new windows were fitted, however we feel we can clean, re paint with mould resistant paint and then normal paint.
    I think this mould issue has contributed to the problem with our fitted wardrobes which the previous owners fitted, even though they have vents at the bottom of doors, they smell really musty and mouldy and I have found patches of mould.
    Our fitted wardrobes are wall to wall, with a chimney breast in the middle and have a cupboard over the top of each wardrobe and a mini cupboard to join the two at the top of the chimney breast. One wardrobe is directly fitted to an outside wall and I have been told that this may be contributing to the smell issue as apparently there should be a gap? However, all the cupboards and other wardrobe (on the inside wall) also smell musty, thus making our clothes and anything in the ward
    The wardrobes are made with wood and have wood panelling (which I really don’t like!!) at the back.

So my question is, can ‘wood’ be treated and cleaned of mould? Or would it be better to strip out the old and have new fitted??

Edited to add - reason for posting on the moneysavingexpert is really would like to know the best cost effective ways of dealing with the problem!
    Sorry for a long winded post, I just wanted to get all the information I could! Hope all makes sense and would appreciate any advice!!!

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by rainbow8; 06-10-2009 at 3:02 PM. Reason: Add another bit!
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,826Posts Today

7,103Users online

Martin's Twitter