LLoyds 2-in-1 card is not full authorisation ?

Options
Hi, I have a Lloyds Premier account with a 3-in-1 card and £250 CGC, I have just made the account a Joint account with my wife and Lloyds gave her a 2-in-1 card (No CGC as they don't issue them now - so they say), anyway I told her that her card (After reading other posts on here) could not be used a Tesco [EMAIL="pay@pump"]pay@pump[/EMAIL] as it was a full authorisation card, well guess what it can !, it worked tonight and only authorised £1 from the account and told her that she could fill up with £99 worth of fuel !, this would mean that if we only had £1 in the account we could be £98 overdrawn !.

So now I am totally confused as I thought a 2-in-1 card was Full Authorisation and now I have not got a clue !.

Comments

• Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    There is no rule that says "2 in 1" cards must be full authorization cards. Lloyds might very well issue one with, one without.
    What would William Shatner do?
  • just_about
    just_about Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    Normally all LTSB debit cards that comes with their full current account are full debit cards with or without the CGC function !! normally the only full auth visa debits come with their basic bank account !!
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    (No CGC as they don't issue them now - so they say)

Cheque guarantee to end in 2011
    The cheque guarantee card system will end on 30 June 2011 although it will still be possible to write a cheque, an industry body reveals.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • bingy_burge
    Options
    I have an classic acc with a the green visa debit and I can use for 99 pay and pump. It must not be full autho as I have 300 quid in it and spend 50 on a debit transaction in the same day I can withdraw the full 300 with no authorised o/d.
  • jambosans
    jambosans Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Options
    I have an classic acc with a the green visa debit and I can use for 99 pay and pump. It must not be full autho as I have 300 quid in it and spend 50 on a debit transaction in the same day I can withdraw the full 300 with no authorised o/d.

If you withdrew the money before spending on the card, then that would indicate an offline card. However online or offline, if you spent on the card first, and this amount was pending, you should have only £250 available for withdrawal. Cash machines always rely on available funds, it is not possible to enter an unauthorised overdraft through an ATM withdrawal.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • bingy_burge
    bingy_burge Posts: 618 Forumite
    edited 5 October 2009 at 1:20PM
    Options
    I think its offline then but i expect my rbs cash line plus one will be online/full autho.

I think u will find classic acc and up can withdraw 300 but cash acc customers only 250 a day.
  • jambosans
    jambosans Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Options
    So now I am totally confused as I thought a 2-in-1 card was Full Authorisation and now I have not got a clue !.

Even though the status quo suggests that a 3-in-1 debit card is offline, there is no such rule (as BarclaysManager has indicated) that a 2-in-1 cards are always online/ full authorisation. Traditionally a current account (with credit facilities) comes with an offline card, and a basic bank account (with no credit facilities) comes with an online/ full authorisation card. I would apply that as a general rule of thumb (although there may be exceptions).

Remember, 2-in-1 is merely a description of the cards functionality - ATM and debit card use - and gives no indication as to the authorisation type.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • Tally-Ho_2
    Tally-Ho_2 Posts: 369 Forumite
    edited 19 October 2009 at 11:16AM
    Options
    I received a new green LTSB 2in1 card last week (to replace my damaged 2 in 1 card with the black horse on it). I can use this card at Tesco Pay and Pump where as with the old one I couldn't (the new one just debits £1.00).

However my new Nat West Visa Debit 3 in 1 with £100 Cheque Guarantee doesn't work at Tesco pay and pump (it just says declined). I don't know whether this is just a problem with the 'bin' numbers not been updated on Tesco's system or if Nat West now issue 'full authorisation' 3in1 cards? Their T&C's say only the 2 in 1 cards are full authorisation and ones with a cheque guarantee are 'offline' cards!

Tally
  • bingy_burge
    Options
    Maestro has always been a pain for pay @ pump my solo cards never worked apart from at some asda ones.

I can't remeber my natwest service card 100 working either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure