Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > Holiday pay - pro rate - based on contract or act... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Holiday pay - pro rate - based on contract or actual hours?
Closed Thread
Views: 4,072
# 1
oliverp
Old 28-09-2009, 11:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Holiday pay - pro rate - based on contract or actual hours?

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could help.

I work part time and as such have a 7 hour contract (weekly). However, I regularly work upto 28 hours a week. (4 days).

Obviously being part time, the holiday pay is pro-rata. However, they are using 7 hours as the calculation for the holiday pay. Considering I regularly work four times this, I find it pretty annoying.

There are quite a lot of us on these 7 hour contracts but doing a lot more hours. It seems like a bit of scam for them to give us low hour contracts and get away with giving us less holiday pay. Is this correct?

Thanks!
# 2
juliescot
Old 28-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The holiday pay will be based on the contracted hours.

That is a massive amount of overtime and it may well be worth asking for a re-evaluation of your contract
The Following User Says Thank You to juliescot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
liney
Old 29-09-2009, 6:18 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Contracted hours only, however you should only be booking off 7 hours for a week off work. This way you are not worse off.
"On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
# 4
LittleVoice
Old 29-09-2009, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liney View Post
Contracted hours only, however you should only be booking off 7 hours for a week off work. This way you are not worse off.
So a week of paid holiday amounting to 7 hours pay leaves you no worse off that a paid holiday amounting to 28 hours? I think not.
# 5
PasturesNew
Old 29-09-2009, 8:49 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

That'd be a way for companies to get round the holiday pay though, employ them on 0 hours contracts, or 1 hour contracts, then simply get them to do overtime. Instant 10% or so saving on wages - and associated NI costs.

So ... it doesn't sound like it could be right.
# 6
LittleVoice
Old 29-09-2009, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasturesNew View Post
That'd be a way for companies to get round the holiday pay though, employ them on 0 hours contracts, or 1 hour contracts, then simply get them to do overtime. Instant 10% or so saving on wages - and associated NI costs.

So ... it doesn't sound like it could be right.
Unfortunately it is right - that holiday is related to contracted hours - and is a means by which an employer can avoid paying what in true fairness would be due.
# 7
oliverp
Old 29-09-2009, 11:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for the replies.

My contract has only just been renewed from temporary to permanent. The reason it is only 7 hours is so they can be flexible, one week it's busy, the next it is dead.

My previous job paid holiday pay directly linked to hours worked. It was a much better system. I'm still not convinced this is acceptable...but I don't know what I can do about it. Nothing?
# 8
liney
Old 01-10-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleVoice View Post
So a week of paid holiday amounting to 7 hours pay leaves you no worse off that a paid holiday amounting to 28 hours? I think not.

No worse off, as in s/he recieves 5.6 x 7 hours holiday pay and still receives 5.6 weeks off work, not a week and abit because s/he has booked off the overtime they have been doing in order to take the time meaning they do not get the correct amount of time off work over the year.

Overtime, is overtime. S/he can refuse to do it, or the employer can withdraw it at anytime. If the OP wants a "bigger" contract they need to negotiate one, because until they have more official hours they are only being promised 7 hours a week's work, and therefore 5.6 x 7 hours per year holiday pay.

I feel there are two different issues.
"On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
# 9
Savvy_Sue
Old 02-10-2009, 1:09 AM

You could try to negotiate a contract which acknowledges the flexible nature of the work, and allows you to calculate your holiday entitlement based on the number of hours worked in the previous X weeks (not sure if it is 12 or 13). That's what should happen if your hours aren't fixed at all: as it is, you have 7 hours when you always do work.

There may be more information on the ACAS website.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Real Life is taking a lot more time than usual
# 10
LittleVoice
Old 02-10-2009, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy_Sue View Post
You could try to negotiate a contract which acknowledges the flexible nature of the work, and allows you to calculate your holiday entitlement based on the number of hours worked in the previous X weeks (not sure if it is 12 or 13). That's what should happen if your hours aren't fixed at all: as it is, you have 7 hours when you always do work.

Yes, Sue, it's 12 weeks - but you do not count any week when no paid work is done and instead move back one week and count that in.
The Following User Says Thank You to LittleVoice For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
liney
Old 02-10-2009, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy_Sue View Post

Then what happens when the OP comes to book holidays? Does he book only 7 hours, does he accept overtime then book it off too? Does he fiddle the system, refuse overtime that week, and effectively get more holidays in weeks than everyone else? Complications...
# 12
getmore4less
Old 02-10-2009, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Then what happens when the OP comes to book holidays? Does he book only 7 hours, does he accept overtime then book it off too? Does he fiddle the system, refuse overtime that week, and effectively get more holidays in weeks than everyone else? Complications...
I think the point of averaging out over the previous weeks i that hours don't matter

You book a day and get the days rate calculated on the average hours over the previous weeks

Definately worth looking at a more flexable contract with increased hours or one that pays based on hours worked.

If you don't work every day every week then they could probably just get the holiday pay paid.

My OH works a zero hours contract and the NHS pays the holiday on hours worked as you work them.

One other point since you are contracted to only work 7hours(one day?) then you should have total controll over the extra time and be able to work when you want, if the employer controls the days you work and does not give you the choice of not working any of the extra days then that probably makes them implied contractual hours anyway.(one for an employment expert, ACAS).
The Following User Says Thank You to getmore4less For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
liney
Old 03-10-2009, 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=getmore4less;25608555]I think the point of averaging out over the previous weeks i that hours don't matter /[QUOTE]

So you tell the OP you have worked 15 hours on average over the past 12 weeks so if you want a week off you need to book 15 hours..... and he retorts "But i'm only contracted to 7 a week, so why should I book more!"

However, if you let him accrue at the "average" rate, but he only has to book at the 7 hours a week rate, he ends up with proportinately more holiday then everyone else.

Am i missing something here?
# 14
LittleVoice
Old 03-10-2009, 6:11 PM

The real question is if someone with contracted hours of 7 a week wants a week off and be paid for it, how much will be paid? It will be seven hours.

In the original scenario though, in reality the working time is more like 28 hours. So, getting those 28 hours as holiday will result in only getting pay for 7.

It isn't really "fair" - given that a temp working variable hours would have holiday based on whatever hours/pay had been worked/earned in the previous 12 weeks.
# 15
liney
Old 04-10-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
The real question is if someone with contracted hours of 7 a week wants a week off and be paid for it, how much will be paid? It will be seven hours.

In the original scenario though, in reality the working time is more like 28 hours. So, getting those 28 hours as holiday will result in only getting pay for 7.

It isn't really "fair" - given that a temp working variable hours would have holiday based on whatever hours/pay had been worked/earned in the previous 12 weeks.
A temps holiday pay is not based on overtime either. If they work 40 hours then do a Saturday as overtime they are not counted as working 6 days that week.
# 16
LittleVoice
Old 04-10-2009, 1:48 PM

Quote:
A temps holiday pay is not based on overtime either. If they work 40 hours then do a Saturday as overtime they are not counted as working 6 days that week.
No - but then the statutory minimum holiday calculator only calculates holidays based on weeks of up to five days. A full-time employee whose hours were spread over six days, also doesn't get extra days when multiplying by 5.6.

The OP is probably working 4 days a week and being paid 4 x x for that but having paid holiday only at the rate of 1 day a week, 1 x x.

There is no doubt that they can have the time, it is the recompense for that time which is unfair.

I work as a temp and work variable hours according to the requirements of the job but all those hours are M-F, counted as regular hours and paid at my regular hourly rate whi. If I worked at the weekend, I would expect a higher hourly rate to compensate.
# 17
liney
Old 04-10-2009, 6:30 PM

Quote:
No - but then the statutory minimum holiday calculator only calculates holidays based on weeks of up to five days. A full-time employee whose hours were spread over six days, also doesn't get extra days when multiplying by 5.6.

The OP is probably working 4 days a week and being paid 4 x £x for that but having paid holiday only at the rate of 1 day a week, 1 x £x.

There is no doubt that they can have the time, it is the recompense for that time which is unfair.

I work as a temp and work variable hours according to the requirements of the job but all those hours are M-F, counted as regular hours and paid at my regular hourly rate whi. If I worked at the weekend, I would expect a higher hourly rate to compensate.

In my experience, a temporary worker who worked 3 on 3 off, or similar (for example) would not accrue holiday if they did an extra shift during the week because it would be overtime, so is therefore not included in the calculations. Overtime by definition, is over and above your contracted hours (or shift pattern) regardless of which days of the week it is done.

Whilst I agree morally, with what you are saying, the law is not on the OP's side.
# 18
LittleVoice
Old 04-10-2009, 8:29 PM

Quote:
In my experience, a temporary worker who worked 3 on 3 off, or similar (for example) would not accrue holiday if they did an extra shift during the week because it would be overtime, so is therefore not included in the calculations. Overtime by definition, is over and above your contracted hours (or shift pattern) regardless of which days of the week it is done.

Well, I accrue paid holiday entitlement on all my hours during a week. I don't believe that is unusual. - LV

Whilst I agree morally, with what you are saying, the law is not on the OP's side.

If you read my posts you would see that I never said the law was on the OP's side - I have countered others by saying that this permanent member of staff's holiday would be calculated on their contracted hours. - LV
Closed Thread