Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    Self Employed - small earnings certificate.
    • #1
    • 24th Sep 09, 5:03 PM
    Self Employed - small earnings certificate. 24th Sep 09 at 5:03 PM
    I have been self employed for over 4 years. I was earning very little so I applied for a small earnings exemption certificate. (ie for class 2 NI) I am now off work with a torn ligament. I applied for sickness benefit but have been told I am not entitled as I have not paid enough class 2 contributions. I have been working for 46 years - paid 42 years class 4 - paid a year class 2 then was exempt. Why am I not entitled to sickness benefit ?
Page 1
  • stazi
    • #2
    • 24th Sep 09, 6:26 PM
    • #2
    • 24th Sep 09, 6:26 PM
    You are not entitled to ESA becasue you have not paid any/enough Class 2 NIC in the relevant tax years 06/07 and 07/08. The SEE is just that- because of your low earnings/profits, HMRC say you don't have to pay any NIC- but HMRC don't pay your stamp or credit your NI records either.

    The NIC system is just like any other insurance policy- if you don't pay in- you don't get out. The SEE as you have now found out, is false economy.

    Class 4 NIC is just a tax on your S/E profits, and doesn't go towards any benefit.

    When/if you return to S/E, dump the SEE and pay the Class 2 NIC. If you are able, ask HMRC if you can cancel the SEE for these tax years and pay the Class 2 NIC. The NIC for these tax years would now be 'late'.
  • builderken
    • #3
    • 27th Sep 09, 8:07 AM
    • #3
    • 27th Sep 09, 8:07 AM
    Thanks - I wish it had been explained to me before I applied for the SEE. I have contacted NI and applied to pay the lost year.
  • chrisbur
    • #4
    • 27th Sep 09, 12:02 PM
    • #4
    • 27th Sep 09, 12:02 PM
    Thanks - I wish it had been explained to me before I applied for the SEE. I have contacted NI and applied to pay the lost year.
    Originally posted by builderken
    The form you use to apply for the exemption warns of this, the following quote is almost at the beginning of the form:-
    "Why pay Class 2 contributions?
    Class 2 contributions count towards:
    Incapacity Benefit/Employment and Support Allowance
    basic State Pension
    bereavement benefits
    Maternity Allowance.
    If you are only liable for Class 2 contributions, you should
    consider your position carefully before applying for a
    Certificate of Small Earnings Exception.
    If you apply for and are granted exception from
    National Insurance contributions,
    you may lose your

    entitlement to benefits by not paying Class 2 contributions."

    If you can only make up missing payments with class 3 contributions check what they cover for as from memory I believe that they only count towards pension entitlement.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,457Posts Today

7,887Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks to @CBBC_Hacker for sending us our own Hacker, baby MSE is smitten. Altight cocker.

  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

  • Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

  • Follow Martin