Freecycle guide discussion link

Options

Comments

• johnalexwood
    Options
    thedean wrote: »
    There are other groups besides the US run Freecycle network. Reuseit, Freegle, Freeshare recyclinggroupfinder .com helps but is a liitle behind with over a third of former recycle groups moving to the Freegle unbrella or going independent.

Also its about reusing keeping stuuf off the tip than getting "Freestuff"

Another site that's worth checking out is the new goodnewsforpolarbears.org It's helped me find a new home for many of my things that otherwise would have gone to landfill. Also, I know they don't have any policy on reselling items obtained from the site - their purpose is solely to prevent stuff going to landfill.
  • redbiro
    redbiro Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    These idots will spam you 2 death; gumtree,site dosnt ;have nitemare custome service
  • stormy-weathers
    stormy-weathers Posts: 229 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2011 at 2:05AM
    Options
    You are not correct.I belong to three Freecycle groups all of which
    are yahoo groups with no plans to change.
    Other than The Yahoo Freecycle groups i belong to there are many other Freecycle groups on Yahoo.
    I also know some Freecycle moderators/owners all of
    whom are UK based and live in the local area so to say that that they
    are not UK run is not correct.

I think most people are just interested in keeping things out of landfill instead of who is better than who i know that is all that interests me.
    Freegle is UK BASED - Freeycle is NOT based in the UK OR UK run. There are a great number of UK run Freegle groups, and more are coming online all the time. The Freecycle Network as it is known, on the other hand, does NOT use Yahoo groups, ALL Freecycle groups are being moved to the US owned, US operated, and now 'sponsored' Freecycle Network.
  • lisa701
    lisa701 Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    I tried freecycle but was rather disapointed by it. Several people offered me things such as a few old bricks, old pallets and paving slabs so I could finish a veg plot, but they all requested a donation.

Now I don't mind offering a donation to charity in exchange for such items, but none of them could tell me which charity the money was going to. If someone was going to give money to charity surely they would be more open about where the money is going? Needless to say I didnt bother as from my experience it looks like people are putting stuff on Freecycle to get around the prices charged for the likes of Ebay and local paper ads, but still wanting payment for their goods.
  • Amanita_2
    Amanita_2 Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Options
    Freegle is UK BASED - Freeycle is NOT based in the UK OR UK run. There are a great number of UK run Freegle groups, and more are coming online all the time. The Freecycle Network as it is known, on the other hand, does NOT use Yahoo groups, ALL Freecycle groups are being moved to the US owned, US operated, and now 'sponsored' Freecycle Network.

I strongly recommend using Freegle and other UK based organisations rather than Freecycle, as the US owners/operators have no idea of geography and you may get someone from the other end of the country looking for your item!

??? I am a freecycle list owner - we are very much yahoo based!
  • Cinders2001
    Cinders2001 Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Freecycle may be originally formed in the USA but here in the UK we have adjusted some of the rules to fit in with local UK laws. Certain changes were needed.
    So the USA don't have total control although we still abide by the majority of the rules as set out by the USA obviously.

So http://www.uk.freecycle.org/ reflects this.

And all Freecycle groups are on Yahoo.
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lisa701 wrote: »
    I tried freecycle but was rather disapointed by it. Several people offered me things such as a few old bricks, old pallets and paving slabs so I could finish a veg plot, but they all requested a donation.

Now I don't mind offering a donation to charity in exchange for such items, but none of them could tell me which charity the money was going to. If someone was going to give money to charity surely they would be more open about where the money is going? Needless to say I didnt bother as from my experience it looks like people are putting stuff on Freecycle to get around the prices charged for the likes of Ebay and local paper ads, but still wanting payment for their goods.
    You should report them to the moderator, as it is contrary to the rules of freecycle to request any payment, even if it was a genuine charity donation. I have never come across this myself and I am keen freecycle user, so perhaps it is just some dodgy individuals trying to abuse your particular group.
    koru
  • Cinders2001
    Cinders2001 Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes. Always report a person asking for money for a Freecycle item.
    It should be a No Strings arrangement.
    The Moderator/Owner of the group needs to know if a Member is infringing this most basic rule.
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • MsBubu
    MsBubu Posts: 519 Forumite
    Options
    Well its nice to see there are other options. My local freecycle is now full of !!!!!!!!!!s asking for computers and laptops and Ipods!!!

Most shocking of it was:

WANTED: a piano (preferably tuned) as I would like to get back to playing piano and give lessons (!!!)

I don't care if people are asking for such things (maybe someone is ready to part of an ipod...), but its just postings like this on a daily basis. Seems like people dont want to post donations anymore... I think I will try to see those websites to list a few things I need to get out of my place!
    2011 Wins: Issey Miyake perfume (from December), Arcancil Nail Polishes, Revlon Fire and Ice Lipstick and Nail Polish, Beauty Hampers, Radox Shower Gels, Neal's Yard Massage oil & Massage Candle, CDs, makeup kits, tanning mist.
    Eleventh Heaven No.198 - 1.2.:).4.5.:).7.:).9.10.11
  • Clueless969
    Options
    Hi - I was a member of Freecycle for a long while until I became disenchanted with the rules and regulations which, although they complied with UK law, seemed to me to be based around the American mind-set. Fortunately, virtually all of the groups in my part of the country moved to Freegle, as soon as that was set-up, and things run much more smoothly now, due, I am convinced, to rules and regulations that are UK-centric.

Whilst Freecycle still has more members, it should be noted that sufficient people disliked and continue to dislike the Freecycle way of operating that there are now 285 Freegle Groups with almost 1.2 million members.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure