Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    kate.2000
    I bought a clocked car!
    • 20th Sep 09, 3:04 PM
    I bought a clocked car! 20th Sep 09 at 3:04 PM
    I bought a VW Touran in July 08 from a dealer who was advertising it on Auto Trader website for 9000 with 38K mileage. I travelled 50 miles on the train to see it, test drove it and decided to by it. The trader told me they sell all their vehicles with a brand new MOT which was sold to me as a benefit and that I would need to return a day later to collect it. Not at any point did the trader tell me that the car mileage was incorrect - but looking back over the papers now there are warning signs all over the place. Yes - I know, I should have checked through all of my receipts, but I had no reason to feel unsure as I was buying from a dealer..... yes big mistake! I am positive that I have not even seen the text on some of the papers that have my signature on them - as they explixitly say that I am purchasing a car with incorrect mileage - which I would not have done. Also on one page there is a rubber stamp imprint saying "Warning the mileage on this car is incorrect" and a tick box to say that I have not been given any reason to think the mileage is correct - which I know must have been stamped and ticked after I signed. These papers were also folded in half and stapled with his business card sealing them making inspection difficult without undoing the staple.

I have only recently found out about the mileage discrepency when I went to sell the car this August - and when I say discrepency ...... the car had an MOT in Feb 08 showing over 104K
    !! The dealer got the car just a 3 weeks before I purchased it - so you can add more miles on top of that before I purchased it! In all, they reckon it was clocked about 88K! Having a brand new MOT helped ensure that I did not need to necessarily take the car in until the following year - which I didn't!

Trading Standards have been very helpful, and I have found out that this dealer has about 20 cases already with them, is being investigated and has already gone to court (he denied everything) and lost. I have done as they have suggested and have written to him stating the sales of goods act and asked for a full refund or 3000 compensation - his solicitors response came rapidly denying everything and stating the signed papers, which were definately doctored, and requesting a copy of the (online) advert.

My enquiry is ..... shall I take it to court or am I wasting my time? I know there are so many things I should have done (HPI checks and inspecting the papers more closely - even though the information was only displayed after signing) but I foolishly thought that a dealer would never be able to do that! As a female who knows nothing about cars, I again foolishly thought that going to a dealer was a safe option! I feel that this guy has got to stop trading if he is continually doing this, as it seems so - he seems to have everything prepared to cover his tracks and preys on the confidence he gives.

So do I take him to court?

Your advice is much appreciated!
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

2,126Users online

Martin's Twitter