Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting Tips

Options

Comments

• Boomdocker
    Boomdocker Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is interesting as I had my Laser eye surgery with Ultralase last October. I had worn glasses for 10 years or so and was terrified right up until the last minute as I have the lowest pain threshold ever. BUT as part of my research I spent a few months sending off for all the packs/DVDs you see advertised on the TV, registered on line and decided to have a free consultaion with Ultralase who results and technology, to me, seemed the best. I never, ever viewed this as picking the cheapest but picking the best primarily.

Dont get me wrong, I don't have money to burn, far from it, I just feel that this is a situation when you need to use a reliable, trusted, proven provider and not forego those qualities to save a few quid.

Its a very personal thing and I would recommend to anyone, even though I was and still am 100% happy with Ultralase, to do your own research. Research your provider, the clinicyou are going to (as results can from clinic to clinic), your surgeon, your surgery type. And that way if you pardon the pn you will go in with your eyes wide open.

My quote as around £3000 for both eyes. As a previous poster said ask about discounts. I work for a retailer that enabled me to get 20% which was most appreciated and saved my £600, the rest I am paying off on interest free credit with them. I could not have afforded this otherwise and I thrilled to be glasses free with no complications at all. :D
    Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00
  • cmhbyandco
    cmhbyandco Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The cheapest option by far is with Optimax and you can go through ebay and both eyes 'done' for the price of one. It cost me £895 for both eyes & it was fantastic. You can also have interest free credit on that amount too. No need to go abroad if you have excellent service such as this here.
    I would highly recommend this company, as the care I had was fantastic & I havent looked back(sigh!!) since!
    All my contact was with the owner of the company & he was highly professional just as his staff was at the clinic.

Check it out -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laser-Eye-Surgery-Treatment-to-BOTH-EYES-only-895_W0QQitemZ9523011737QQcategoryZ75084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sorry you will have to cut & paste!
  • daleuk_3
    daleuk_3 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    cmhbyandco wrote:
    The cheapest option by far is with Optimax and you can go through ebay and both eyes 'done' for the price of one. It cost me £895 for both eyes & it was fantastic. You can also have interest free credit on that amount too. No need to go abroad if you have excellent service such as this here.
    I would highly recommend this company, as the care I had was fantastic & I havent looked back(sigh!!) since!
    All my contact was with the owner of the company & he was highly professional just as his staff was at the clinic.

Check it out -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laser-Eye-Surgery-Treatment-to-BOTH-EYES-only-895_W0QQitemZ9523011737QQcategoryZ75084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sorry you will have to cut & paste!

Im thinking about this too! Just not sure if they could get the eye lid opener in! I dont even think I can put contacts in! lol
  • thespacecowboy
    Options
    daleuk wrote:
    Im thinking about this too! Just not sure if they could get the eye lid opener in! I dont even think I can put contacts in! lol

believe me, they'll get it in!

Optimax just use tape, not clamps for the eyes.

I had Lasik 10 days ago, well recovered. One eye is recovering (sight wise) slower, but getting better.

I paid only £850 for both eyes, managed to get a 2:1 deal out of them :-)
  • eezer
    eezer Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    I had Lasik treatment (the less painful one but more expensive) 18 months ago after wearing glasses for 15 years. Of course it was uncomfortable but not painful for a couple of days but the results for me are fantastic with no obvious side effects. The cost then was £600 per eye and worth every penny. I went to Optimax in Liverpool. I'd recommend them to anybody.
  • thespacecowboy
    Options
    £1200 is about the typical price for Lasik at Optimax. Although the lady who went in after me paid £1500 :-P

I'd still pay that much for the treatment, especially as their competition is much more expensive.
    The staff were great and couldn't have helped me more
  • redeyez
    redeyez Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    1st of all......anyone considering laser treatment should look at the ophthalmologist.....is he wearing glasses????? if YES then WALK OUT......if he is NOT wearing glasses....ask him who did their treatment and go to them to have it done!!!!!!!!!!!. All this talk about trusted names is a load of boll**cks.....these people in high street locations are in it for the money....GO to Moorfields Eye Hospital....thats my opinion..trust me I work in the Optical profession
  • pre-reg
    pre-reg Posts: 576 Forumite
    Options
    are you a surgeon??
  • point3
    point3 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    Options
    I had Lasik for myopia in 1999 in Harley Street. The cost then was about £3000 - worth every penny! I now have 6/5 (slightly better than 20/20) and 6/6 vision.

When choosing where to have your operation, consider not only the cost and the fancy names given to the technology available (they all work in the same way after all), but think also about how accurate the pre-op assessment and planning are and how accessible the post-operative care is (especially important should you ever experience complications).

I worry that those travelling to foreign destinations for surgery may be compromised if they have rushed pre-operative assessments in an attempt to complete all treatment within the duration of a pre-booked trip, if the quality and accuracy of the ophthalmic assessment and subsequent planning are compromised by language barriers and if there is insufficient aftercare following surgery because the patient has left the country where the operation was performed. OK, 99 chances out of 100 there will be no problems, but it's still something to think about...
  • waz101
    waz101 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    In this country Optimax is the cheapest
    I got mine done 14 years ago ago at the first Optimax clinic in London the procedure then was PRK which was incredibly painful afterwards and you had to wait 6 months between each eye and i had to use steroid eyes drops for 5 months after each eye. Saying all that it was worth it, i still get a bit of glare and sensitivity to light but I've got used to it, I think your brain adjusts to cope.

good luck

Warren
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family