Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 11th Sep 09, 5:25 PM
    • 7,120Posts
    • 10,601Thanks
    surfsister
    Hi is matt or silk best for walls?
    • 11th Sep 09, 5:25 PM
    Hi is matt or silk best for walls? 11th Sep 09 at 5:25 PM
    Hi guys I am decoraing and just wondered if matt or sillk is best for living room walls? Usually i grab whatever is cheapest! Lol.
Page 1
    • hartcjhart
    • By hartcjhart 11th Sep 09, 5:29 PM
    • 8,549 Posts
    • 10,725 Thanks
    hartcjhart
    • 11th Sep 09, 5:29 PM
    • 11th Sep 09, 5:29 PM
    for what its worth I prefer the 'satin' finish,matt is just a 'flat' finish,with silk/satin you can use lights to bounce of the wall
    • lizziebell*80
    • By lizziebell*80 11th Sep 09, 5:34 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 1,787 Thanks
    lizziebell*80
    • 11th Sep 09, 5:34 PM
    • 11th Sep 09, 5:34 PM
    I used matt Dulux once in our living room and dining room and hall when we moved in and wish I had gone for a more satin finish. I find matt, while it can help to hide imperfections on the walls as the light isn't reflected, it tends to mark easily
    Silk finish is a bit shiny so maybe a satin which is more inbetween the two. I have made the mistake of going for the cheapest paint before and having a total nightmare then wanting to re-do the lot afterwards.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 11th Sep 09, 5:43 PM
    • 7,120 Posts
    • 10,601 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 11th Sep 09, 5:43 PM
    • 11th Sep 09, 5:43 PM
    thanks fast on the draw you two! I usually use Dulux or Crown end of ranges and buy extra to touch up marks. Hadn't thought asbout satin, will bear comments in mind when at the diy shops!
    • lizziebell*80
    • By lizziebell*80 11th Sep 09, 5:46 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 1,787 Thanks
    lizziebell*80
    • 11th Sep 09, 5:46 PM
    • 11th Sep 09, 5:46 PM
    If you can be bothered, then you can always pay for a tester to be made up in satin at homebase or something in the colour you want and give it a try to see what you think to it? It isn't cheap though, think the smallest one is over £3 from memory.
  • tandraig
    • 11th Sep 09, 5:47 PM
    • 11th Sep 09, 5:47 PM
    another consideration is - i find matt comes off if trying to clean marks off the wall - but silk or satin tends to stay put!
  • Errata
    • 11th Sep 09, 5:53 PM
    • 11th Sep 09, 5:53 PM
    Matt can look very 'chalky' so usually silk is better, unless you have seriously uneven walls when matt seems to camouflage the lumps and bumps better.
    .....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
  • MrsE
    • 11th Sep 09, 5:59 PM
    • 11th Sep 09, 5:59 PM
    Silk is a little dated, Matt is more current.

Just like for woodwork, gloss is dated & the less shiny satinwood is in.
  • misgrace
    • 11th Sep 09, 10:08 PM
    • 11th Sep 09, 10:08 PM
    Its not called Satin, Satin is for woodwork, your talking about Soft Sheen, which is not as glarey as Silk.
    Whether you go with Silk or Soft Sheen, make sure your walls are good, as Silk and SS will emphasise every minor imperfection.

There is nothing wrong with Mat, and there is wipable Mat,or better still 'Endurance' which is Mat, but doesnt leave that dull mark if you have to wipe it off.
    • chalky 75
    • By chalky 75 11th Sep 09, 10:11 PM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 15,059 Thanks
    chalky 75
    I hate matt-- looks so flat
    Try and do a good deed every day.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 11th Sep 09, 10:14 PM
    • 25,825 Posts
    • 66,313 Thanks
    Mojisola

Originally posted by MrsE
    You should have what you like, not what someone else has decided is in fashion.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Sep 09, 10:34 PM
    • 21,951 Posts
    • 62,610 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    You should have what you like, not what someone else has decided is in fashion.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Mrs E is right, it is fashionable but I love that look, have always picked Matt and Satinwood/eggshell even when I was a teenager painting my bedroom in purple and yellow! Certainly no shying away from the fact that I pick what I like.

There are lots of ways to make a room feel bigger or adjust the appearance of dimensions without painting the walls in silk. It does show up every imperfection on the wall surface - you need immaculate walls before you can get away with satin. I like the softness and texture of matt walls, it adds depth and warmth.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 14th Sep 09, 9:02 PM
    • 7,120 Posts
    • 10,601 Thanks
    surfsister
    well thanks all I went for mat after all as there were tins of dulux matt in lilac love!!! I used a roller and did two rooms in two days. result cheap but good paint too. great forum this always have lots of help and support and discussion!!
    • ixwood
    • By ixwood 14th Sep 09, 9:17 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 1,986 Thanks
    ixwood

Originally posted by MrsE
    I'm behind the times. Again. What does satinwood look like?

Now that I think about it, my gloss work never really seems that glossy anyway. Maybe it's the cheap paint I always use.

• nizam uddin
    Best to use Matt
    Hello, I would strongly suggest matt, as it allows walls to breathe, therefore reduces damp and condensation issues in long term.

Because brick is a natural product, its kind of living products, needs to breathe air to let moisture out, other way the trapped moister can not escape and will create problems in long term.

I have alway used matt there's lots of advantage one it helps to hide imperfect wall surface / texture, two lets wall breathe, Keeps room temperature worm than silk, silk makes the room cold as the wall takes too long to worm up.

Nizam Uddin.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 23rd Oct 10, 9:52 PM
    • 7,555 Posts
    • 6,781 Thanks
    phill99
    Why respond to a post that is over a year old? One assumes the OP has painted their walls now.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,879Posts Today

6,935Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Follow Martin