Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DJ Mike
    • By DJ Mike 2nd Sep 09, 10:26 AM
    • 234Posts
    • 212Thanks
    DJ Mike
    No chain house buy - how long between exchange and completion?
    • 2nd Sep 09, 10:26 AM
    No chain house buy - how long between exchange and completion? 2nd Sep 09 at 10:26 AM
    I'm about to sign my contract/mortgage deed tomorrow, and I'm wondering how long it's likely to take for:

a) The solicitors to exchange contracts
    b) To go from exchange to completion

The seller has already vacated the property and signed his contract - he has no chain and I have no chain (since I'm a FTB), so from our perspective it's a done deal and we're just waiting for the solicitors to catch up and give the OK.

When I sign my papers tomorrow my solicitor has told me they need the funds to be transferred (which I'll do same day via CHAPS) and then they can begin the process of exchanging.

So how long is it realistically going to take and what's involved?
Page 1
  • poppysarah
    • 2nd Sep 09, 10:29 AM
    • 2nd Sep 09, 10:29 AM
    I don't know. I'm asking the same question myself of a solicitor right now.
    Mine's on a auction contract if it goes ahead - so will be 28 days tops.

With the advent of HIPS in theory is it should be very quick.
    • keith969
    • By keith969 2nd Sep 09, 10:50 AM
    • 978 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    keith969
    • 2nd Sep 09, 10:50 AM
    • 2nd Sep 09, 10:50 AM
    Good question, I have just received the mortgage deed from my solicitor too. Am hoping to exchange and then complete about 2 weeks later (need some time to arrange removals!)
    • DJ Mike
    • By DJ Mike 2nd Sep 09, 10:54 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    DJ Mike
    • 2nd Sep 09, 10:54 AM
    • 2nd Sep 09, 10:54 AM
    I should mention that I have absolutely no worry about removals, as I'm just going to hire a van and cart the stuff up there (it's only 8 miles up the road from me!) - so I'm happy to complete as soon as it can feasibly be arranged, and I'm sure the seller has simply instructed his solicitor to complete as soon as I want to complete!
  • hells
    • 2nd Sep 09, 10:55 AM
    You could exchange and complete same day, no reason not to?
  • themanbearpig
    Depends if you are having a buyers survey, they can add a few weeks. Between 4-6 weeks seems reasonable.
    • DJ Mike
    • By DJ Mike 2nd Sep 09, 10:57 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    DJ Mike
    • 2nd Sep 09, 10:57 AM
    • 2nd Sep 09, 10:57 AM
    The house is only 20 years old, so I don't personally see the need to get a full survey done. While that obviously puts more burden on me that things could go wrong, it seems a wasteful amount of money for such a relatively young property.

I'm also acutely aware that the stuff I'm actually interested in - gas/electrics/woodworm - isn't actually covered in a Home Buyer's report, so I'm only going to end up paying for those when I move in anyway (maybe not the gas - it was a brand new installation in May this year that seems kosher enough).
    Last edited by DJ Mike; 02-09-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    • Richard Webster
    • By Richard Webster 2nd Sep 09, 11:26 AM
    • 7,267 Posts
    • 6,918 Thanks
    Richard Webster
    • 2nd Sep 09, 11:26 AM
    • 2nd Sep 09, 11:26 AM
    It will take about a week to get the money from your mortgage lender. You can presumably get any balance to your solicitor in that time so you could exchange as soon as you have signed and complete about a week later.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
    • terrierlady
    • By terrierlady 2nd Sep 09, 11:33 AM
    • 1,699 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    terrierlady
    • 2nd Sep 09, 11:33 AM
    • 2nd Sep 09, 11:33 AM
    the deposit you put down MUST be in cleared funds from your sols so dont pay by cheque it needs to be T/T across from your bank or building soc you also need to show ID to the Bank etc.
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
    • DJ Mike
    • By DJ Mike 2nd Sep 09, 11:35 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    DJ Mike
    Yep don't worry - I'm using CHAPS to get it to them same-day - to hell with the 30 fee, it's worth it for the peace of mind that they'll get it ASAP!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,171Posts Today

7,039Users online

Martin's Twitter