Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Health & Beauty MoneySaving > Hard Skin and Feet turn white after bath/shower (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Hard Skin and Feet turn white after bath/shower
Closed Thread
Views: 7,421
# 1
RonnyJ
Old 25-08-2009, 9:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Hard Skin and Feet turn white after bath/shower

Ok i have had this problem for years now and really need to get this sorted. Both of my feet have hard skin on them on the heel and the toes area. But when its really warm in bed or a warm day and they sweat it goes away.

But always when i go in the shower or have a bath the areas go white and look awful. I never go in the swimming pool on holiday as i'm to embrassed about it.

I have bought various creams but these do nothing so would a vist to a chiropodist be the best here, just a little afraid of what they might say. Also how do i find a good one, most people i know have not mentioned they go to one and a little to embrassed to start asking friends about it.

Any help would be great

# 2
geri1965
Old 25-08-2009, 9:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I use a Microplane foot file on my heels, but the Ped Egg is cheaper and looks more of less the same.

I also get hard skin on the side of my feet by the toes, a foot file doesn't work very well in that area so I scrape it off with a razor (cheap Bic one with one blade).

If you are diabetic you shouldn't do either of the above.
# 3
Toothsmith
Old 25-08-2009, 10:38 PM

It's what keratin (the hard stuff that makes skin different to other surfaces like the inside of your mouth, or other orifices) looks like when it's dry.

It's natural and normal.

Keep it to a minimum by using the foot abrasive things you can buy and using them regularly, but it's that stuff that stops you getting blisters and bleeding every time something rubs against your feet.
How to find a dentist.
1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
# 4
Twig
Old 26-08-2009, 7:10 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I have the same problem and have tried loads of creams. The doctor suggested that I try mixing equal parts bees wax and aloe vera(pure from the plant) then add enough olive oil to make a cream. It was suggested for my sons dry skin spots but I tried it on my feet.

Put it on at night and wear socks all night - my feet are actually soft in the morning!

hth
# 5
brook2jack
Old 26-08-2009, 8:28 AM

Go to a chiropodist. They won't condemn you but more importantly a properly qualified one will spot if there is an underlying problem. I treated my hardskin myself for years but a chiropodist spotted it was due to my walking oddly with congenitally short Achilles tendons. Have just had my last op.
# 6
fernliebee
Old 26-08-2009, 9:14 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I would also say go to the chiropidist, but I get a small amount of hard skin on heel, and big toe and I just file it with foot file, and then slap lot's of moisturiser on afterwards. I find it easiest to do it when I have just got out the bath as the skin is soft so rubs away easily.
# 7
bank_of_slate
Old 26-08-2009, 1:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I use a foot file regularly to get rid of hard skin on my feet.
ONLY file them when they are absolutely dry though, not after a bath or shower as the skin is softened and filing can cause damage.
Follow with a nice foot cream, I love the Boots own foot moisturiser with marshmallow in!
...Linda xx
It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
# 8
Chiropodist in Romford
Old 02-08-2010, 8:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I would follow on from the others and visit a chiropodist. You can find them in any Yellow Pages, and some may even visit you to offer the treatment in your home.

The fact that you have had this for a few years suggests that it may be time to get it looked at. Hard skin is so common. Please don't be embarrassed, your chiropodist will put you at ease and make you feel relaxed.
Closed Thread