Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments > Parking near Natural History Museum/Harrods (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Parking near Natural History Museum/Harrods
Closed Thread
Views: 22,369
# 1
WOW Factor 0
kerrymay
Old 16-08-2009, 10:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Parking near Natural History Museum/Harrods

Hi everyone,

Am planning a jaunt into London with the little ones for a day and we thought we'd go either to the History or Science museum - nice and free - and then wander down to Harrods to mooch around and get the kids an ice cream in the ice cream parlour or maybe a meal in the diner there. I've just googled car parking and apparantly the closest NCP car park to Harrods costs a whopping 46 for 6 hours !!

Does anyone know of anywhere in the vicinity that is (considerably!) cheaper than that to park? And also, does anyone have an idea of the price of a meal in the diner in Harrods? I clicked on the link on the website that is meant to take you to the menu but it doesn't work.

Thanks in advance xx
# 2
tanith
Old 16-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Its gonna be cheaper to park on the outskirts and then tube into town... depending on which direction you are coming from some of the outer stations have cheap car parks...
#6 of the SKI-ers Club

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
# 3
kai666
Old 16-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Can't help with the parking, but they also fall inside the congestion charge zone, which would cost you 8 on week days, should you drive into central london
# 4
dacouch
Old 16-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

It will take you a long long time to drive to that part of London due to the traffic.
# 5
liney
Old 17-08-2009, 9:20 AM

Park at Hillington station and tube in. It's less than a fiver for 24 hours and free on Sundays.
"On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liney For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
pinkzebra
Old 17-08-2009, 4:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Where will you be driving from?
# 7
kerrymay
Old 17-08-2009, 7:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks everyone for your replies so far - we will be coming from Hampshire. I seem to recall years ago that we parked in the gorunds of a University at the weekend (can't remember which one though) on a weekend that was near the museums and was quite reasonable?? Anyone know if this is still an option?

TIA x
# 8
*manda*
Old 17-08-2009, 8:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Lots of free places to park on Sundays- Westminster council is free, Camden is free, not sure about others nearer museum though. You could park in Richmond for free and tube in- it's a really easy drive from Hampshire, we use it alot. Much easier too. Look for Old Deer Park, huge car park. 2 Mins walk to tube.
# 9
jebervic
Old 17-08-2009, 9:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

park right outside it on a saturday, I know I did a couple of years ago.
# 10
Moomum
Old 17-08-2009, 9:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymay View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies so far - we will be coming from Hampshire. I seem to recall years ago that we parked in the gorunds of a University at the weekend (can't remember which one though) on a weekend that was near the museums and was quite reasonable?? Anyone know if this is still an option?

TIA x
The university next to the museums is Imperial College London, not sure if you can still park there but may be worth a look. Parking around the museum is free on Sundays, well it was last time we went, will also be free around Harrods too. Might be worth waiting till the weekend

x
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
vikingaero
Old 17-08-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmid View Post
The university next to the museums is Imperial College London, not sure if you can still park there but may be worth a look. Parking around the museum is free on Sundays, well it was last time we went, will also be free around Harrods too. Might be worth waiting till the weekend

x
That's correct. Imperial College open their car park (entrance in between the NHM & Science Museum) at weekends and charge 8 all day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vikingaero For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
CHRISSYG
Old 18-08-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebervic View Post
park right outside it on a saturday, I know I did a couple of years ago.
that entire road has been dug up ,theres road works from one end to the other. get there early if you can the queues last friday were horrendus !
CHRISTMAS..............work in progress

YORK 2015...............paid
# 13
KellyWelly
Old 19-08-2009, 1:06 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you have a disabled parking badge you can park right outside the NHM, but I did see somebody clamped there today who had parked without one so don't chance it if you haven't. I think your only option unless you want to pay £££ and spend HOURS in traffic is park somewhere further out on the Central/District/Picadilly lines where you can park more cheaply or for free and get the tube in. South Kensington is the best station, I think.
# 14
Mum_of_3
Old 19-08-2009, 3:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingaero View Post
That's correct. Imperial College open their car park (entrance in between the NHM & Science Museum) at weekends and charge 8 all day.
Sorry to hop in on the thread, but does anyone know if this carpark fills up really early?

Would be a great place to park and would save getting the train/bus into London. However, unless we get the kids up a the crack of dawn the earliest we could get there is by 9.30ish. Is it normally full by then?

Many thanks to anyone who can help

M_o_3
# 15
vikingaero
Old 19-08-2009, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum_of_3 View Post
Sorry to hop in on the thread, but does anyone know if this carpark fills up really early?

Would be a great place to park and would save getting the train/bus into London. However, unless we get the kids up a the crack of dawn the earliest we could get there is by 9.30ish. Is it normally full by then?

Many thanks to anyone who can help

M_o_3
9.30 will be fine. I arrived around 11am and the car park was full.
The Following User Says Thank You to vikingaero For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
markandkate
Old 19-08-2009, 7:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

www.tfl.gov.uk will tell you which tube stations have car parks. We park at Greenford which is very easy for us just off the M40. It costs 1 per day on Sat and Sun and then a tube pass is about 6 but is less for children. We do not have to drive into the city and get lost and when we get off the tube at the end of the day its 10 mins on to the motorway. the tube pass covers unlimited travel in the city
The Following User Says Thank You to markandkate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
KellyWelly
Old 19-08-2009, 9:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Children travel for free on tubes and buses in London.
# 18
alpenwest
Old 05-11-2009, 1:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Free parking in London about 2 minutes from Harrods

I for one hate having to pay to park so are always on the hunt for free spots, and we found one literally about 2 minutes walk from Harrods - couldnt believe it...

If you go up at a weekend you can usually park on the metered slots as they often dont charge on a sunday around Harrods
The Following User Says Thank You to alpenwest For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
ruffwood
Old 05-11-2009, 2:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Blue badge holders do not have same rights in central london as elswhere in country, this link takes you to Westminster info http://www.westminster.gov.uk/servic...uebadgescheme/ and note that even disabled I believe that you must apply in advance for exemption from congestion charge and this itself costs 10. Hope I have this info correct
# 20
xfive71
Old 05-11-2009, 2:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via Skype™ to xfive71

Watch out when parking near Harrods. Depending on where you are - you could be under Westminster borough or Kensington & Chelsea. On sundays, it is usually free parking but do check the boards.

The area around South Kensington (Onslow Gardens thereabouts) usually have free parking on Sundays. it is about a 5-10 minute walk to the NHM past South Kensington tube station.

On the way, you could stop at Oddono's at Bute Street for awesome Italian Gelati. Just in front of the South Ken tube station, there is Carluccio's which is lovely for Italian (their soups are both delicious and quite filling).

If looking for budget food options, I would suggest the 1.99 sandwiches at Subway which you could takeaway for a picnic. There is a Chinese buffet type of place in the basement called Paper Tiger which you will see on your walk to NHM.

Harrods-wise, I find the food at the Planet thingy restaurant on the 4th floor for the quality.
The Following User Says Thank You to xfive71 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread