How can I get free makeover.

Options
Hi, can you help. I have never worn makeup and would like to try some.
I would really like a makeover at a makeup counter.
Are these free or do you pay something. I probably would buy the makeup I tried if it suited my tone and complexion .
I always feel slightly intimidated at makeup counters especially if trying to get something for free.
Are there any makeup counters or stores better than others.
Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• hunninicki
    Options
    Hiya

i know Dior and Estee Lauder are doing free make up sessions at the moment in some of the department stores.

If i was you i would ask at any counters for some make up tips and advice, they should help you that way and let you try products.

Clinique are also very good, i use their products and most of the time they are very helpful to me and put some make up on my face etc....

i know what you mean however about the sales staff, they can look at you as if you are mad asking for a sample.

hope its some help
    LOVE NIC X X X X

hoping to save save save 2010/2011

XXXXXXX
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just walk into any department store or store with a makeup counter and assistants and tell them you want to try out some makeup ... simplez :)
  • if you explain that to the becauty counter staff, im sure they will fall over themselves to try things on you to try to get a sale. Maybe try the body shop for a cheaper option if you do decide to buy some of the items. Any session ive had where they put makeup on you turns into a really hard sell. So be careful :)

If you werent to bothered about the actual make over, you could always look on youtube for a basic make up tutorial, they really are good and give some 'real people' type of info! Ive learned loads from ther and gotten really into makeup in the last year.
    It only takes a second to say 'Thanks, you just saved me a few quid!'

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries Challenge June
    Toiletries used up- 4 Makeup used up- 2
  • debs2327
    debs2327 Posts: 1,172 Forumite
    Options
    body shop does free makeovers xx
    wins :- x2 hair dyes ,mascara, epilator,personalised card , glass photo ,
    comp angels please throw some luck my way
    :D:j:D:A:)
  • KittyPryde
    KittyPryde Posts: 2,623 Forumite
    Options
    You can also just go into places like superdrugs and boots to the makeup sections and just use all the testers provided there yourself if you'd like to try colours on the back of your hand etc to see what suits before your makeover if you wanted as that way you get to try stuff yourself and familiarise yourself with makeup abit with no1 watching. Good luck and have fun (makeup is loadsa fun :D) x
  • Keeping_Positive
    Options
    Try the bodyshop at home - have a "party", invite a few mates get a free makeover and try other products as well. No obligation to buy and usually a great laugh. More relaxed than in a store. If you get £150 of sales which is actually quite easy you get £25 free stuff. More sales - 70% off products.

Your local shop should have contact names or there is a thread on the up your income board.
    :j
    May 2013 new beginnings:j
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Options
    I love Benefit make up and have never been pressured into buying anything when trying products.
  • destresserai
    Options
    Another one to try is Bobbi Brown. They regularly do complete make overs and even give you a booklet detailing all the products they have used on you with a facial diagram to take home. I have never been given a hard sell from them but their products are slightly more expensive but well worth it as they are quality products.
    :j Member Number 18 of the "100 free films in London in 2010" club:hello:
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a freebie Clarins makeover recently which was lovely and really relaxing. I bought a lipstick there recently (in dept store) and got talking to the girl and she said any time you want a free makeover to let her know, so I did!:D She books them in, in advance and I imagine she works around times when she knows she is not too busy selling.

She says she really loves doing them as that's what she's trained to do & it keeps her hand in. I got the full cleansing, toning, new make-up ideas and was pleased with the result as I don't like make-up to look really obvious. I hadn't been out of the shop 5 mins & bumped into a woman I know and she said "been onholiday, you look really well." Made my day!!:T
  • rm84
    rm84 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lots of advice on here but just to add my two pence worth as well...! I tend to use a lot of Lancome products, and I've found them to be really helpful with sitting you down to try products out. I recently took my friend in and the assistant was happy to try a whole face of make-up out on her.

I haven't had a problem with a 'hard sell' with them either, I've just been honest with them and they've been fine. When I wanted a new foundation before, they put one on me but I didn't want to commit right then because it was in department store lighting etc. I told the assistant I loved it, but I wanted to see how it worked when I put it on and in different lights, and she happily sent me away with a week's worth to play with.

If you don't want to book something formal in, just pick a bit of a quiet shopping time (e.g. weekend mornings, depending what the shops are like where you are - I'm in B'ham) and wander up to a counter.

Remember - you're not scamming them, so you've got nothing to be apprehensive about. Be bold and take your time! Have fun :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure