Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Where can I buy household ammonia? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Where can I buy household ammonia?
Views: 53,764
# 1
flippin36
Old 09-08-2009, 2:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Where can I buy household ammonia?

Hi, hope you helpful lot could point me in the right direction. I need some pure ammonia for cycling my fishtank but I am struggling to find it anywhere. I remember my mum using it for cleaning purposes, hence posting on old style thread. It has to be pure ammonia with no other cleaning products added. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by flippin36; 09-08-2009 at 3:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to flippin36 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Jnelhams
Old 09-08-2009, 6:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

larger Boots stores, near the washing powder and insect killer, also Wilkinsons sell it
My Mind wanders, if found please return.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jnelhams For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
keith969
Old 09-08-2009, 6:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Robert Dyas stores sell it.
The Following User Says Thank You to keith969 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Gingernutmeg
Old 09-08-2009, 6:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If it's for fishtanks would an aquatic store not sell it? I'd be worried that anything bought for household cleaning might not be totally pure.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gingernutmeg For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
flippin36
Old 09-08-2009, 7:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks will try Wilkinsons, I think the boots by us is too small. The aquatic centres by me, believe it or not don't sell it. They say hardware stores and supermarkets but can't find it. Thanks for your replies.
# 6
thriftlady
Old 09-08-2009, 7:28 PM

I bought some at Homebase I've yet to find a use for it mind you.
The Following User Says Thank You to thriftlady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
flippin36
Old 09-08-2009, 7:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftlady View Post
Well thats the thing. Practical Fishkeeping forum told me Homebase but I couldn't find any in my local one. I think its quite an old fashioned cleaning product thats quite hard to come across. I seem to remember it smells awful which is probably why no one uses it anymore.
# 8
Neveraliein
Old 09-08-2009, 8:20 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I bought mine from Boots. You do need to ensure that it doesn't have any additives. I think you can buy it online somewhere but the postage makes it that much more expensive.

If you can't get hold of Ammonia, I understand you can use fish food, but it's a bit more hit & miss. Good luck with your cycle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Neveraliein For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
frivolous_fay
Old 09-08-2009, 8:55 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftlady View Post
On my trial day working at a hairdresser, they had us wash the windows with it.
They had several trial people that day, and the windows were washed at least twice :rolleyes:
My TV is broken!
Edit: refunded 515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act!
The Following User Says Thank You to frivolous_fay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
tonyhamm
Old 11-11-2009, 9:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I just tried 2 branches of Boots and Wilkos. The manager at Wilkos said they used to sell it, but they don't stock it now all he could suggest was a DIY store. Boots, they only seem to have 3 departments in thier stores now - Photo and Electrical, Beauty and Phamacy, Baby and thats it. No household items stocked at all - needless to say couldn't find it anywhere in Boots. B&Q definately dont have it.
No supermarkets stock it. Its all a bit strange - stuff like caustic soda is miles more dangerious, has fewer uses and is easy to get hold off. The only reason I can think that its been pulled is that its easier to make a bomb out of.
The only place left is homebase.

Last edited by tonyhamm; 11-11-2009 at 9:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tonyhamm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
MC_Emily
Old 11-11-2009, 9:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Some independant pharmacies sell it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MC_Emily For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
purpleivy
Old 11-11-2009, 10:35 PM

All that Jazz in Stockton Heath probably has it!
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
200 per month budget Trying not to waste food!
The Following User Says Thank You to purpleivy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
flippin36
Old 11-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thank you for all your replies. I eventually bothered a member of staff at Boots who kindly rumaged through her drawers and blew the dust off a bottle for me! My tank is now cycled and ready to house some lovely fish.
# 14
fletcherbrian
Old 19-04-2010, 7:55 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhamm View Post
The only reason I can think that its been pulled is that its easier to make a bomb out of.
You are correct about the bomb making causing the supply problem.
I want to use it to unclog printer cartridge heads.
Alchohol doesn't work, apparently ammonia does the trick.
# 15
marybryant
Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I've found this rather old thread but want to tell everyone about the uses of Ammonia. I buy mine in Tesco's (on the end of the aisle where the cleaning stuff is), and it's dead cheap. It's a miracle cleaner. Pop your diamond ring into a few drops with warm water in an egg cup for an hour, brush with a baby toothbrush and it will sparkle - this was a tip from a jeweller. Put 3 tablespoons in a litre of water and use it to clean tiles, stainless steel, worktops, kitchen cupboards, glass (amazing!), mirrors, floors, etc. etc. Just rub it on with a sponge and polish dry with a cloth - no smears, no fuss, no hard work. Although I haven't used it for stains, it's apparently amazing at getting rid of stains. (There are instructions on the bottle). I don't know what I'll do if they stop making the stuff, but I suspect most household cleaners (at 4 times the price) probably include ammonia . . . This is the best money-saving tip that I know!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marybryant For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Flibsey
Old 13-11-2011, 3:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I can't find it in my local tesco's, wilkonson's or boots. boots online seems permenantly out of stock. I need to remove some verdigris from a brass (decorative not food use) plate.
I need some borax too and the spotty oik in wilkinson's didn't know what I was tlaking about, but his almost equally as spotty manager told me they stopped selling it due to lack of interest.

I've found some ammonia AND borax on amazon of all places. free delivery too. not super duper cheap, but as you don't use much at a time I suppose it is cheaper lol. pretty soon my kitchen sink will be flowing nicely and my brass plate sparkling.

Last edited by Flibsey; 13-11-2011 at 3:42 PM.