Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    foxyruby
    Can a married woman open a bank account in her maiden name?
    • 5th Aug 09, 11:12 AM
    Can a married woman open a bank account in her maiden name? 5th Aug 09 at 11:12 AM
    Hi everyone

I wonder if I can ask all you experienced moneysavers out there for some guidance? My friend is a married woman and all her documentation is in her married name. She is about to go back to work on a self-employed basis, but wants to use her maiden name in her work for security reasons, and therefore needs some kind of account in her maiden name that she can pay into and at least have a cash card so that she can draw money out. She doesn't want to borrow anything, just pay in her earnings and take them out.

She has a squeaky clean credit history, and can provide her birth certificate showing her maiden name, her marriage certificate, and endless documentation in her married name including her (Barclays) bank account, photo driving licence and council tax bills.

She decided to avoid online accounts because of the potential name hassle, and instead focused on branches offering savings accounts. First she tried Bank of Scotland, recommended by this site as the best instant access savings account with a cash card, but the only branch in her area is a business banking branch only. After finding no other savings accounts in her area (Brighton) that offer a cash card, she tried opening current accounts at Barclays and Lloyds TSB. After having to endure sly jibes like "What's the matter, don't you want your husband to know?" and "Are you getting a divorce?" (which annoyed both her AND her husband when he found out), she found almost all refused her (even her own bank, Barclays).

Only one (Lloyds TSB) entertained it, but said she would need to apply in her married name first and after she's accepted in 7-10 days they'll apply to change the name, but can't guarantee it would be allowed. My friend knows she should keep footprints on her credit file to a minimum, so this isn't ideal.

The only other option she's considered is a business bank account that offers free banking e.g. Abbey or Cooperative Bank, which seems a bit over the top. And would they want to put her married name on the account followed by "t/a (trading as) her maiden name"?:confused:

Sorry for the long message, just needed to give you all the background. Do any of you know the law here, or have any ideas how she can get round this without falling foul of money-laundering regulations etc?

Many thanks!
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,495Posts Today

7,734Users online

Martin's Twitter