Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > About MSE > Site Feedback > MSE sections redesign discussion (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
MSE sections redesign discussion
Closed Thread
Views: 1,038
# 1
MSE Jenny
Old 28-07-2009, 5:46 PM
Senior Writer
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default MSE sections redesign discussion

We're trying to make the site easier to use, so now the Cards & Loans and Reclaim sections have a new look, and the others, eg Banking and Savings are due to follow.

Please press reply to let us know what you think.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Wendy; 28-07-2009 at 7:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Jenny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
natweststaffmember
Old 28-07-2009, 7:15 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Apologies, but I think Martin mentioned the new look on the Reclaims board towards the end of last week. I gotta say that is it straight forward and easy to navigate. In fact you get a link to the forums to the right board required for reclaiming(as that is usually where I am lurking ).
I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
# 3
janaltus
Old 29-07-2009, 3:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

The Access keys for Mozilla don't appear to be working for me. Also, why the facelift when - I thought - a priority for MSE was to improve access with the following:
  • "Alternative stylesheets. The ability to alter the presentation of each site page to suit your reading needs. This includes changing the size of text to aid partially sighted readers."
  • "Article reader. A tool which reads the sites articles for you, and generates sound to read it aloud."
Cosmetic facelifts are fine - but surely the MSE priority is to get the basics of access sorted out first???
# 4
fredfro
Old 29-07-2009, 1:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Love the new look, much quicker loading. My only critcisim is that there are a multiple amount of different style of images (icons, photos). It would be great to stick to one style of imaging, and have them transparent. By style I mean, certain colours, certain styles of drawing. There are multitudes of these icon parks out there - many of them royalty free. Also whilst I appreciate the grey line is to separate the two sides of the page, I think it would look better without it and to add greater padding.
# 5
MSE Martin
Old 29-07-2009, 7:28 PM
Money Saving Expert
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

ta for all the feedback we're lookign at the points raised
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
# 6
Nosmig
Old 30-07-2009, 11:35 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Lightbulb Banking etc redsign

I have no specific comments about this part of the redesign - but may I repeat a suggestion made when you last redesigned the site?

The hover text for all the major sections is nothing more than a repeat of the words on the tab. Yet, almost all the sections have much more information than is 'scoped' by the tab name.

PLEASE consider changing the hover text to add more meaningful information. For example, Protect your Pocket has three major subsections - why not put this information in the hover text??

Keep up the good work. The site is great; this suggestion is but a humble attempt to make it better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nosmig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
MSE Martin
Old 30-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Money Saving Expert
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmig View Post
I have no specific comments about this part of the redesign - but may I repeat a suggestion made when you last redesigned the site?

The hover text for all the major sections is nothing more than a repeat of the words on the tab. Yet, almost all the sections have much more information than is 'scoped' by the tab name.

PLEASE consider changing the hover text to add more meaningful information. For example, Protect your Pocket has three major subsections - why not put this information in the hover text??

Keep up the good work. The site is great; this suggestion is but a humble attempt to make it better.

Thanks - its in the plans (and pls remind me if it doesn't happen)

We're doing a 4th bridge type makeover. Ie starting at one end. We'll do section by section then once finished we can do the masthead and it'll have what you're suggesting. yet until each sections done (ie they're all new style) we can't incorporate that
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
# 8
23rdian
Old 01-08-2009, 2:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Design is still a bit too heavyweight and fussy for me. Would prefer something that is more smartphone friendly. e.g. any chance of a lo-fi version of the forum. Nothing wrong with the content though

Last edited by 23rdian; 01-08-2009 at 2:31 PM.
Closed Thread