Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Foo fan
    Advise - sacked while on the sick.
    • 25th Jul 09, 3:32 PM
    Advise - sacked while on the sick. 25th Jul 09 at 3:32 PM
    Hi All,

Long story short - my other half suffers with extreme anxiety. He was sent home from work after having a panic attack and was told to go the the Dr's.

The Dr's gave him a month sick note - new meddication and arranging for him to see a councillor.

My other halfs sick note was due to run out last tues - however on the Monday (before) his employer called him into work and sacked him saying they were making cut backs - and gave him a weeks garden leave.

While my other half was on the sick, his cousin (who helps out sometimes at the company) was covering my other halfs job. He is still working there doing the same job!

Can they do this?

Also while he was on the sick he was getting SSP of 88 per week. The employer has just paid the weeks garden leave and it was only 88 (not a full weeks wage). He called them to query this and they said that "you were still on the sick so we paid you sick pay". So they have addmitted that they sacked him while he was still on the sick.

He has been to Citizens advise by they dont think he's got much of a case.

Any advise?

Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,071Posts Today

7,365Users online

Martin's Twitter