Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Why does my bank do a credit check to LOWER my overdraft?
    • 24th Jul 09, 10:24 AM
    Why does my bank do a credit check to LOWER my overdraft? 24th Jul 09 at 10:24 AM
    I have an 800 overdraft with NatWest. I have been a NatWest customer for over 3 years now and have good credit with them, however in the last year i got a CCJ for an old credit card from 2005. so now i have a CCJ on file so i cannot get credit anywhere. Which i can cope with, However i am trying to pay off my over draft as i find i use it up to the max every month.

I rang up NatWest and explained to the lady on the phone that i am trying to pay my over draft off a little each month so could they reduce it, say to 600 / 700 this month, then next month I'll reduce it again ect.
    The lady on the phone told me that they have to do a credit check to do this, even though it is LOWER amount to what i currently have, So it would just fail and get rejected, then be another bad mark on my crediit file. So she told me the only way to do it would be to save up the 800 then ring up and cancel the overdraft.

I just dont understand why the bank has to do a credit check to lower the amount, i could understand if i wanted to up the limit then of course they would need to do a check. it just does not make sence to me.

can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Many thanks
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,703Posts Today

7,453Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Very funny little viral vid showing how the world would be if it were run by energy companies - worth a watch

• RT @singhy10: Thanks @MartinSLewis Used your tip re sky TV cancellation. One call reduced bill from £99pm to £51pm £576 Per year!!!

• M'weekly email: 1st time buyers deal, Sky hike, Govt student Uturn, HOT bband, PPI alert, Tesco Wine, £10 varnish£25

• Follow Martin