Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 23rd Jun 09, 6:16 PM
    • 9,481 Posts
    • 7,483 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 23rd Jun 09, 6:16 PM
    My 3 bed is rather full, I've got quite a few books, she's got quite a few clothes, kitchen items, cutlery, crockery, ornaments etc etc. So who knows, it'll depend on what you've got and how many people packing. A day is optimistic.
    • spectre
    • By spectre 23rd Jun 09, 6:16 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    spectre
    I was wondering how long people have taken to pack up a 3 bedroom house - attic half full? can it be done in a day?
    Originally posted by ronaldmacdonald

you must be joking, yeh maybe cram the boxes in a day but dismantling furniture (wardrobes) etc etc takes whats seems forever, ive been packing a bit every night for the last 2 weeks haha
    • superfran_uk
    • By superfran_uk 23rd Jun 09, 6:22 PM
    • 975 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    superfran_uk
    • 23rd Jun 09, 6:22 PM
    • 23rd Jun 09, 6:22 PM
    We're moving onthe 1st and started packing last week - doing it in dribs and drabs - books, dvds etc are already boxed and labelled!
  • loki13
    • 23rd Jun 09, 6:24 PM
    • 23rd Jun 09, 6:24 PM
    We packed a 2 bed house (well, the packers from the removals firm did) in about 4 hours one day and then a few hours in the morning when we moved a few years ago
    I refuse to enter a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent:rolleyes:
    • superfran_uk
    • By superfran_uk 23rd Jun 09, 6:28 PM
    • 975 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    superfran_uk
    • 23rd Jun 09, 6:28 PM
    • 23rd Jun 09, 6:28 PM
    I guess it depends. I really don't want to drag crap from one house to the next, so i'm trying to get rid of anything that we really don't need - could be done quickly otherwise.
  • ronaldmacdonald
    • 23rd Jun 09, 6:45 PM
    • 23rd Jun 09, 6:45 PM
    I guess it depends. I really don't want to drag crap from one house to the next, so i'm trying to get rid of anything that we really don't need - could be done quickly otherwise.
    Originally posted by superfran_uk
    I have no intention either - I think a weekend should be sufficient to box everything up. I have my own parking space at the tip and have binned lierally tons of junk.
    • cattie
    • By cattie 23rd Jun 09, 6:56 PM
    • 7,730 Posts
    • 5,249 Thanks
    cattie
    • 23rd Jun 09, 6:56 PM
    • 23rd Jun 09, 6:56 PM
    It took me about 3 weeks to pack my house up for my move last year. The thought of doing it in just a weekend seems impossible to me.

I guess it depends on how many other people are helping with the packing though, I had to do mine all on my own.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
    • googler
    • By googler 23rd Jun 09, 7:34 PM
    • 14,372 Posts
    • 9,294 Thanks
    googler
    • 23rd Jun 09, 7:34 PM
    • 23rd Jun 09, 7:34 PM
    I took over a month - but I had a mountain of CDs, DVDs, tapes, LPs, VHS etc to be boxed up as well as books, magazines, etc.....

Depends on what you've got and how careful you want to be with it. I could've thrown the above into bin bags and chucked 'em into the van, but I chose to box them up, tape the boxes, label the boxes, etc etc .... you might take a different approach.
    • picardygirl
    • By picardygirl 23rd Jun 09, 10:05 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    picardygirl
    I would imagine the general time packing period is from exchange to completion, usually 2 weeks ..... anyone with any sense wouldnt start packing prior to exchange.

Obviously, lots of people have a much shorter exchange to completion timescale, and some exchange and complete on the same day so it wouldnt work waiting to exchange.

ps ..... i'm not slatting anyone who starts packing prior to exchange, i did, practically packed up the whole house 3 bed (2 adults and 2 kids) as we were exchanging every friday for an entire month to complete within a week after, til our buyer pulled out and the chain collapsed. Had to unpack .........
    • zebulon
    • By zebulon 23rd Jun 09, 11:16 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    zebulon
    I need more than a day to pack my 1 bedroom in shared flat with bits and bobs of kitchen things...and no furniture!

So I would say no
    • franklee
    • By franklee 24th Jun 09, 1:44 AM
    • 3,525 Posts
    • 3,735 Thanks
    franklee
    I took one month. That's sorting out, tipping stuff, taking to charity shops, cleaning, dismantling furniture. Cleaning house behind wardrobes etc. And I still ended up taking lots of junk. Even taping up the boxes takes a day! There were two of us. But then I was packing for the long term, many boxes to remain sealed for years so I was careful.
    • superfran_uk
    • By superfran_uk 24th Jun 09, 8:31 AM
    • 975 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    superfran_uk
    I would imagine the general time packing period is from exchange to completion, usually 2 weeks ..... anyone with any sense wouldnt start packing prior to exchange.

Obviously, lots of people have a much shorter exchange to completion timescale, and some exchange and complete on the same day so it wouldnt work waiting to exchange.

ps ..... i'm not slatting anyone who starts packing prior to exchange, i did, practically packed up the whole house 3 bed (2 adults and 2 kids) as we were exchanging every friday for an entire month to complete within a week after, til our buyer pulled out and the chain collapsed. Had to unpack .........
    Originally posted by picardygirl
    This is dreadful, I would have cried my eyes out. My boyfriend started packing a week before we exchanged but I didn't want to in case this happened! Fortunately it hasn't but if it had... I probably would have blamed him for making it happen!!
  • charliee
    i think it depends how focused you are on it.. i am packing up our 3 bed house at the moment but it is taking ages as i just do a box here and there and i dont know what to pack now, or leave out.. i hate it.. but if it came to it and it was just shoving everything in boxes without sorting through it, i could probably do it in a day...as long as someone else was looking after my curious toddler who always wantsto 'help' by unpacking the box i;ve just packed...
  • skiTTish
    We packed up our 3 bed semi in bits and bobs over a week but we didnt dismantle any furniture till the day of the move .Took us all day from early morning till gone dusk to move tho

This time we are only moving a few doors away ,so hopefully will be a lot faster
  • Pee
    In my experience you start weeks ahead with good intentions but the bulk of it gets done in the 36 hours immediately prior to moving.

Clutterbusting slows down the process, but it's a good time to do it if you can. Plus sorting through the attic is something that can be done before exchange, maybe even with a view to a couple of car boot sales before you move?
    • picardygirl
    • By picardygirl 24th Jun 09, 10:12 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    picardygirl
    This is dreadful, I would have cried my eyes out. My boyfriend started packing a week before we exchanged but I didn't want to in case this happened! Fortunately it hasn't but if it had... I probably would have blamed him for making it happen!!
    Originally posted by superfran_uk
    It was dreadful and i did cry my eyes out !!!!

The day before xmas eve too ....... virtually packed up as our buyer was pushing for completion between xmas and new year, which is hard work, as not all solicitors are available and makes life even more stressful.

We just put all the boxes we didnt particularly need packed up in the loft, and put the house back on the market - eventually moved 6 months later ..... did i learn from it though, no, when we eventually moved i did start packing again before exchange, working with 2 kids and a husband i/we couldnt have done it all in a week ...... just the shed took a day .....

To the OP though, i dont know what your situation is, but, remember if you are buying/selling, you need to be clear from your property by lunchtime on the day of completion. I've heard some horror stories where the new owner gets to the property at lunchtime with the keys (ie monies have been transferred) to find the old owner still packing up their house ... not the best start.
    Last edited by picardygirl; 24-06-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typo
    • mouche
    • By mouche 24th Jun 09, 12:35 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 4,358 Thanks
    mouche
    It took us a month to pack our 2 bedroom flat and this is when the only furniture we owned was a wardrobe, a coffee table and a TV. Lots of books, papers, DVDs, clothes and kitchen stuff though. This was 2 of us fitting it in around work. We ended up with 4 large suitcases and 32 boxes. We decluttered at the beginning but by the end we'd run out of time and just threw stuff into boxes.

I dread to think how long (and how much stress!) packing our three bed would take now, considering we have much more furniture now.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £144,515.84 (16/06/2017).
    MFW target for 2017: £2355.48/ £5,000
    2017 Challenges
    Grocery Challenge: £162.32/£200 (July); £200.76/ £200 (June)
    Make £300 a month: £107.42/£300 (July); £237.88/ £300 (June)
    Lose 3st 9lb: 1st 12lb/3st 9lb
    • johnson293
    • By johnson293 24th Jun 09, 1:07 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    johnson293
    We have resisted starting packing before we have exchange of contracts (which will be this Friday, hopefully) , just incase anything goes wrong at the 11th hour.

We are hoping that we may be able to agree 14 days from exchange to completion, to allow us to measure up at new house, pack stuff up and arrange removals. Wouldn't want it any longer than that, but if its any sooner, then we might just have to try and do it quicker.

We have some unimportant stuff boxed away in the garage from when we 'decluttered' for our house viewings, but beyond that we'll have a 2 bed semi to pack, including some stuff int he loft, and then an shed in the rear garden to finish clearing (to the tip) as well.
    • mlz1413
    • By mlz1413 24th Jun 09, 1:27 PM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 3,405 Thanks
    mlz1413
    If a day is the full 24 hours then yes you probably can move house in this time, but get the Prozac at the ready!

I moved from a 2 bed house to a 3 bed but decided it was the best time to dump lots of stuff that I didn't need / want and refused to move. I had a month so took all that time, but I think a weekend as in 6pm Friday to 6am Monday morning would be a minimum to move without getting really stressed.

A friend was going round the world 2 years back and sold his house, stored his car (yes really that was more important to him!) and then didn't start to pack or clear stuff out until exchange - 1 week before completion, he had get any sleep for the last 3 days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

100Posts Today

2,228Users online

Martin's Twitter