Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • SaucySecrets
    • By SaucySecrets 10th Jun 09, 12:32 PM
    • 2,187Posts
    • 3,970Thanks
    DSA - travel expenses
    • #1
    • 10th Jun 09, 12:32 PM
    DSA - travel expenses 10th Jun 09 at 12:32 PM
    Has anyone got any experience with these?
    The forms say 'reasonable travel expenses'.
    I need to come home twice a week for physio, which is either a four hour train ride or a 40 minute car drive.
    I don't currently own a car but am trying to save up for one, and hopefully will get a call saying I got a good job today!
    But running it would be expensive, with tax and insurance. Could I ask for help? I wouldn't be taking one if I didn't need to travel so much...

    Anyone help?
Page 1
    • Taiko
    • By Taiko 10th Jun 09, 1:02 PM
    • 2,496 Posts
    • 2,354 Thanks
    • #2
    • 10th Jun 09, 1:02 PM
    • #2
    • 10th Jun 09, 1:02 PM
    This wouldn't be covered under DSA, as it's for the additional cost due to your disability from your home to the HEI.
    • SaucySecrets
    • By SaucySecrets 10th Jun 09, 1:04 PM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 3,970 Thanks
    • #3
    • 10th Jun 09, 1:04 PM
    • #3
    • 10th Jun 09, 1:04 PM
    Even though if I wasn't disabled I wouldn't need to go back to the hospital?
    Uni is suddenly seeming quite unlikely for me.
    Any ideas where I could apply too for help?
  • MrsManda
    • #4
    • 10th Jun 09, 2:31 PM
    • #4
    • 10th Jun 09, 2:31 PM
    Taiko is right but it's worth filling out the forms anyway. You may get support for books/stationary which will save you money which you can then spend on transport.
    Also, you could try the NHS travel costs scheme, it's normally for people on benefits but they may be able to help.
    You may also want to consider moving your physio to somewhere nearer to university. Even with travel costs covered, you will find it difficult to travel home so often if you are also studying a full time course.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 10th Jun 09, 6:02 PM
    • 23,843 Posts
    • 27,065 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • #5
    • 10th Jun 09, 6:02 PM
    • #5
    • 10th Jun 09, 6:02 PM
    Why do you need to go home for physiotherapy? Could you not get your new GP to refer you for treatment at a hospital closer to your university? Or even your current hospital to transfer you across directly?
    What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

342Posts Today

2,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance?

  • RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

  • It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

  • Follow Martin