Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    JillyR
    Is This House Habitable / Mortgageable?
    • 30th May 09, 6:04 PM
    Is This House Habitable / Mortgageable? 30th May 09 at 6:04 PM
    Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated please on whether this house would be considered habitable or even mortgageable (sorry no photos):

Conventional brick built semi-detached house, built circa 1920 and is more or less ‘as built’. There are two to three bedrooms, upstairs bathroom, two reception rooms, a small kitchen and an ‘outside’ loo. It has been empty for several years.

OVERALL CONDITION - it is structurally sound though very dated decor and though not neglected is due for re-decorating.

EXTERNALLY - it is weatherproof and generally in a good state of repair. In the past 10 years it has been re-roofed, had new rainwater goods, and the roof timbers had preventative treatments. About a third of the windows have upvc double glazed windows, the rest are the original wood sash windows, which are due for repainting and some need refurbishment (new cords etc.). The foul air pipe needs replacing.

INTERNALLY - really needs modernisation.
    It has the original plaster and lathe ceilings and apart from some ‘running repairs’ the original lime plaster on the walls.
    It has the very basic electrics typical for its’ age - one ceiling light and one socket per room, and was rewired in the 1970s.
    There is no central heating. It has the original fireplaces in the two reception rooms and two of the bedrooms but the chimneys will need re-lining before use.
    The kitchen is the old ‘scullery’ type, i.e. Belfast sink with cold water tap with a hot water tap being added later from the bathroom supply. There was a gas point for a cooker and an old-fashioned wash boiler - but the gas supply was disconnected at the street several years ago.
    The hot water system was an old instantaneous gas heater which was condemned years ago and as above gas supply was cut off more recently.
    The bathroom is very small - just room for a basin and an old narrow roll top bath. The only toilet is currently accessed by going outside.
    Cold water supply still has the original lead pipework.
    The third bedroom is very small - less than 6 square metres floor area.

Reason for asking is - For various reasons (reviewing finances, wills, to keep / sell / give away etc.) my Dad recently had valuations done on an empty house he owns. The valuations came in at around the same figure aimed at the same ‘market’. However, whilst the agents were all very polite and apparently helpful all of them seemed to have a very narrow market in mind (i.e. ‘developers’), and kept referring to ‘cash buyers’ but did not elaborate, even when asked. (I got the impression all of them already had a quick and easy sale in mind to specific buyer(s).) A little further research for myself makes me now wonder whether the house would even be classed as habitable in its current state or would be mortgageable.

Again, any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

276Posts Today

1,223Users online

Martin's Twitter