IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Car boot sales in Edinburgh?
Views: 83,719
# 1
babesandbrats
Old 19-03-2006, 5:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Car boot sales in Edinburgh?

Does anyone know whats happening with car boot sales in Edinburgh? I used to love the Greenside one but its gone. Apparently only the corn exchange one still exists but isn't very good.

I actually want to sell at one within the next couple of weeks. Any advice?
Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
paullwill8
Old 20-03-2006, 5:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What about ingleston market, there used to be lots of car booters there on sundays. Haven't been for a while though.
What goes around - comes around
give lots and you will always recieve lots
# 3
tico
Old 22-03-2006, 1:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

there is one at I think it is called New Street. It is on every Sunday but you have to get there early to get a good space.
# 4
Edinburghlass
Old 22-03-2006, 1:13 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullwill8
What about ingleston market, there used to be lots of car booters there on sundays. Haven't been for a while though.
Obviously not Paul, Ingliston Market has been closed for months
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
# 5
eaglesrjh
Old 25-03-2006, 10:51 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I too would bevery interested if anyone knows of any decent car boots even within sort of 20 miles of edinburgh. I have lots of bits to sell on but cant find anywhere to do it. I had a wander around the corn exchange one and was not impressed, may have been cos it was very cold though. Anyone know of any others?
if i had known then what i know now
# 6
Wild_Rover
Old 25-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hi folks - why not help yourselves and a local group as well? The 41st Edinburgh BB company (based at Duddingston Kirk) will be having 2 car boot sales - Saturdays 22 and 29 April in the playground at the Royal High Primary School, Northfield Broadway - they will only be "open" from 10.00 a.m. to 12.00 noon, but the gates open from 8.30 and there are usually buyers roaming around trying to do deals from early on. We have been there for the past cople of years selling books/toys/household stuff and it is always quite busy.

Cost 8.00 per car entry.

Regards.

WR
Stand up for yourself - as long as you are equally prepared to fight as hard for the less fortunate - and you won't go far wrong.

(I am increadingly using a tablet for my posts so simbtomes moy spallong May nit beup to munch - yu might have to yoose year imoginotin. Thank yoi. )
The Following User Says Thank You to Wild_Rover For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Edinburghlass
Old 25-03-2006, 5:55 PM

Thanks for that one Wild Rover, I'll bump the thread nearer the time
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
# 8
Prudent
Old 25-03-2006, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrjh
I too would bevery interested if anyone knows of any decent car boots even within sort of 20 miles of edinburgh. I have lots of bits to sell on but cant find anywhere to do it. I had a wander around the corn exchange one and was not impressed, may have been cos it was very cold though. Anyone know of any others?
There is a very large (and under cover) car boot sale at Kinross evry Saturday. I think this is within 20 miles (just?) of Edinburgh.
# 9
babesandbrats
Old 27-03-2006, 6:55 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for all your replies.

I'm afraid the Boys Brigade one is too late for me as I need to get rid of everything before I move on the 19th April.

I think I'll have to go to the corn exchange one - I passed yesterday and it looked to be getting busier so will give it a go.
Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.
# 10
Vital Spark
Old 31-03-2006, 4:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tico
there is one at I think it is called New Street. It is on every Sunday but you have to get there early to get a good space.
I'm sure that car booty has closed too. It was the former Greenside. Building is being pulled down (like most other similar building's in that area). Quality and expensive land for development into luxury flats for the rich, I think.

My daughter loves the car booties and I know she goes to a coupe of them. I merely follow along trusting her directions. I'll ask her about them though.

There was one down at the harbour where Harry Ramsden's used to be at Newhaven. The details for it were up in the wee shop at the foot of Whale Brae: Newhaven Road. I think it's every four weeks on a Sunday.

Will speak with my daughter and get back to you on this. There's loads of them.

Last edited by Vital Spark; 02-04-2006 at 11:29 PM.
# 11
A LANCASHIRE LAD
Old 02-04-2006, 7:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Car Boots Around Edinburgh /fife Area

I know i have posted this topic before but i didnt get to the ones in Kinross and the Carse of Gowrie , has anyone been to any around the Edinburgh / Dunfermline/ Kirkcaldy areas recently ? I have that much to clear out im looking at taking in a busy venue where they get plenty of punters through even at this time of the year .
# 12
Edinburghlass
Old 02-04-2006, 8:19 PM

I have merged your post A Lancashire Lad with a previous thread about car boots in Edinburgh and hopefully once the season gets going we will get some more replies on this topic

If anyone has any knowledge of a local one off car boot please feel free to post on this thread too like Wild Rover has.
# 13
A LANCASHIRE LAD
Old 02-04-2006, 8:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I wondered where it had gone to !
# 14
A LANCASHIRE LAD
Old 02-04-2006, 8:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Cos if i cant find any with 30 million people milling round to take partake of their brass im gonna have to cross over the border ! Im getting megga withdrawl symptons of not having good big size car boots up here help !!!!! arghhhhh

# 15
bargainboy
Old 14-04-2006, 10:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

where about in kinross is the bootsale i'm not from there so don't know my way around. what day is it on. how much are the plots. any info would be apprecciated.
Bargain Boy

No amount of money is worth more than good health
# 16
chardonnay
Old 14-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

kinross boot sale is on every sat. cars cost 12, it is undercover and quite busy. starts at 9am but sellers get in from 7am and people start coming in to buy from then. supposed to be on till 3.30 but tails off between 12.30 -1.30.
has food & toilet facilities.

kinross boot sale is in the same venue as the car auctions and sunday market. if you do a search for kinross sunday market you will find a site with a map etc.

hth
The Following User Says Thank You to chardonnay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
bargainboy
Old 17-04-2006, 11:06 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

found some info on the kinross bootsale

http://www.kinross-sunday-market.com..._boot_sale.asp
Bargain Boy

No amount of money is worth more than good health
# 18
Carto
Old 17-04-2006, 12:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Rover
Hi folks - why not help yourselves and a local group as well? The 41st Edinburgh BB company (based at Duddingston Kirk) will be having 2 car boot sales - Saturdays 22 and 29 April in the playground at the Royal High Primary School, Northfield Broadway - they will only be "open" from 10.00 a.m. to 12.00 noon, but the gates open from 8.30 and there are usually buyers roaming around trying to do deals from early on. We have been there for the past cople of years selling books/toys/household stuff and it is always quite busy.

Cost 8.00 per car entry.

Regards.

WR
Wild Rover

Do you have any contact details for this or is it just a case of turning up on the day.
# 19
Vital Spark
Old 18-04-2006, 1:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi, sorry for taking so long to get back to you with this info which I have, eventually, gleaned from my daughter.

Corn Exchange near ASDA: apparently BRILLIANT car booty every saturday.
# 20
Vital Spark
Old 18-04-2006, 1:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you have that much to sell , perhaps you could approach a supermarket for permission to hold your own car booty one Saturday/Sunday afternoon or in an evening through the week. (Thursdays are good: late shopping). Advertise for others to rent spaces from you.