Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Mrsmoneypenny
    Signing off Job Seekers Allowance - help!
    • 27th Apr 09, 4:53 AM
    Signing off Job Seekers Allowance - help! 27th Apr 09 at 4:53 AM
    I wrote on here a while ago that my son was signing on for job seekers allowance. He has ended his course at uni and will restart a new course in September.

Following advice (and a bit of common sense) he signed on for JSA, went for the interview, they needed a letter from his uni to say that he had finished his course and was no longer classed as a student.

About three days later he got a phone call from an employer to start work on the following day.

He has rung the Job centre and told them he is no longer available for work and could they stop his claim. They said he would need to call into the office during their working hours to stop the claim in person.

He has told them he has started work, that he was given the call on a Saturday night to start on Monday morning and asked was there another way to cancel the claim. They are insisting that he calls into the office in person to fill in the paperwork, that it cannot be posted to him.

As he works from 8.30 until 4.30 and is quite a distance from the JC this is going to be a problem. I suppose he could ask for a half day off to go but he doesnt think this is going to give a good impression.

He cant be the only person to have got a job, need to stop a claim and unable to get to the JC, this must have been dealt with before - any ideas from out there?
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

396Posts Today

1,904Users online

Martin's Twitter