IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Do you use Calgon?
Views: 4,765
# 1
larmy16
Old 06-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Do you use Calgon?

Don,t know if this is the right place to post but wondered what your views are on this subject.

There was an advert on today, regarding how many washing machines end up in landfill because their owners failed to use "Calgon". Now I don't know about you but the price of Calgon puts me right off - I think it is very expensive.

However, if they were to even half the price of it, I think many more people would find the money in their budget to purchase it. They may see their sales skyrocket. What do you think? Do you use Calgon in your washing machine or does it not seem very money saving to you? And maybe someone has a plumber for a husband who can verify that Calgon really does prolong the life of a WM.

Or do you think our good old washing soda and vinegar would do just as good a job??

All opinions welcome
Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
JackieO
Old 07-01-2006, 12:24 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

two years ago my old washing machine was playing up and in came the man from the repairers. I asked him about the benifits of using Calgon and he told me that the likelehood of a washing machine becoming clogged like that, was one in a million.He had been in the buisness for 27 years and he had never yet come across one like the one in the advert. he told me that I would be better of putting my cash back in my pocket as in his opinion it was the biggest load of tosh he had ever seen
So I have never bothered buying it. I have had four washing machines over the last 41 years and none of them have ever had a problem like that .I always put a couple of desert spoonsfuls of ordinary washing soda every other wash and it keeps it clear.
R.I.P Alan 17/5/1933-14/7/2003
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JackieO For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Zziggi
Old 07-01-2006, 1:08 AM

[QUOTE=larmy16] What do you think? Do you use Calgon in your washing machine or does it not seem very money saving to you? And maybe someone has a plumber for a husband who can verify that Calgon really does prolong the life of a WM.[QUOTE]

I asked my relative, plumber for 36 years and his father before him.... He just laughed at me when i asked him about calgon. He said forget Calgon, save your money. The adverts are scare tactics like the 99.9% of all germs adverts - want to make you feel that your household is at risk. He said he has never seen damage like they show on the advert. Also went on to rant and rave about the british gas boiler breakdown service who say that thesedays you can't get a plumber to come out and that the cost of repairs are SOOOO expensive. All lies - the biggest scandal is the price of their boiler breakdown insurance.

ANyway....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zziggi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Lillibet
Old 07-01-2006, 9:12 AM

I once asked a plumber, he too laughed & said don't waste your money. Even here in Surrey where we have some of the hardest water in the country, you are better off with a splash of vinegar or soda crystals to soften the water.

HTH
Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lillibet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Pooky
Old 07-01-2006, 9:18 AM

My dad was a washing machine repair man for many a year....he's always said you don't need to use calgon... If you use vinegar it will prevent some of the limescale buildup but it's like anything these days, not built to last.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pooky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
larmy16
Old 07-01-2006, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillibet
I once asked a plumber, he too laughed & said don't waste your money. Even here in Surrey where we have some of the hardest water in the country, you are better off with a splash of vinegar or soda crystals to soften the water.

HTH
I am in Surrey too Lillibet. I have never used Calgon either and my washing machines have always lasted 5 years + and I usually just buy cheapest to mid range models. Great to hear a plumber's opinion.
Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

# 7
Bossyboots
Old 07-01-2006, 9:35 AM

After reading the suggestions on here about vinegar in the washing machine I decided to try it.

We have had our kitchen plumbing and the washing machine apart three times now to clear the gunge that ended up clogging the pipes. Now they are all nice and clear though hopefully we won't get any more problems as I use the vinegar in every wash.
# 8
MrsMW
Old 07-01-2006, 4:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you really want to use a water softener, Lidl do their own brand tablets for the washing machine.
# 9
pawpurrs
Old 08-03-2006, 9:22 AM

Default Calgon

Soda crystals do the same job, right??? Why are they so expensive? :confused:
# 10
otterspasm
Old 08-03-2006, 10:59 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi pawpurrs,
I didn't know soda crystals do the same job as calgon. What would I do with them? Just put a spoonful in the WM tray? Or in the drum? Sorry. This doesn't answer your question. It's all news to me! :confused:
Tess x

Underground, overground, wombling free...
Old Style weight loss so far...2 stone and 7 pounds
# 11
mandy_moo_1
Old 08-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

And i thought it was vinegar that did the same job!! might be wrong, but i'm sure i read somewhere on here that a couple of tablespoons of vinegar ( u can use it instead of fab.cond) helps keep all the pipes clear in the machine.just put it in the part of the drawer where the conditioner usually goes

# 12
Linda32
Old 08-03-2006, 11:29 AM

Do you have to use anything? or are we one of the lucky one's. Our machine is about 10 years old and has never given us any problems.

Here's hoping I havn't spoken too soon now.
# 13
melancholly
Old 08-03-2006, 5:10 PM

I think it depends on how hard your water is - we throw in a tablespoon of water softener into the machine every now and then, costs about £2 for a big bottle that seems to last a while. Much better than overpriced tablets!
I might give vinegar a go, that seems to work for everything!
# 14
Pink.
Old 08-03-2006, 5:18 PM

There are a couple of older threads on Calgon that might help:

Calgon, Limescale and Landfill

DON'T use Calgon!

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Primrose
Old 24-09-2008, 3:35 PM

Default Should I use Calgon in my new washing machine?

Have just installed a new washing machine. We live in a hard water area and I'm wondering whether using it will help prolong its life? I'm skeptical of a lot of advertising claims, and my previous machine lasted 12 years without using it, expiring for totally different mechanical reasons.
# 16
LameWolf
Old 24-09-2008, 3:41 PM

I do use Calgon in my machine, but we live in an area with water so hard that it has a mohican, tattoos and piercings!
LameWolf
If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LameWolf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
avinabacca
Old 24-09-2008, 3:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You do know that you've now put that "Washing Machines Live Longer With Calgon!" jingle in my head - probably for the rest of the night.

Thanks

....on-topic, though, I've found that using Calgon (or generic anti-limescale product) has worked well in the past, never had a washing machine get gummed up with all chalk while using it!
Oh come on, don't be silly.

It's the internet
- it's not real!

The Following User Says Thank You to avinabacca For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
sammyjig
Old 24-09-2008, 4:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to sammyjig

Just to put a different veiwpoint, I live in a really hard water area (like Lamewolf) and have never used calgon. Have never had a washing machine clog up. I use some soda crystals and vinegar in with the wash though.
Do more of what makes you happy
# 19
rach
Old 24-09-2008, 5:06 PM

I'm with sammy. Guess in some ways it depends how much the washer costs but calgon is expensive and you have to work out by how long it would prolong the life of your washer.

I live in a v hard water area and just use a scoop of soda crystals in every wash and use vinegar with towels (still like a drop of fabric softener for my clothes though!)
Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010
# 20
Penelope Penguin
Old 24-09-2008, 5:14 PM

Hi there I live in a hard water area (but not as scarily hard as Lamewolf's ), and have never used Calgon

I'll add this to the existing thread so that you can see others' comments

Penny. x
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge