Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving > what business could i start with 3000/5000 poun... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
what business could i start with 3000/5000 pound
Closed Thread
Views: 19,802
# 1
dave0000
Old 15-04-2009, 3:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default what business could i start with 3000/5000 pound

hi im starting to save up so i can start a business and was wondering what small business i could start with around 3000 to 5000 pound that will pay 10,000+ a year minimun
# 2
oneeye1
Old 15-04-2009, 3:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

window cleaning
The Following User Says Thank You to oneeye1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
puddy
Old 15-04-2009, 3:37 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

i live in london and my window cleaner comes every 5 weeks or so. he does most of this estate where there are 36 flats. lets say he only does 20 of the flats to play safe. he charges 8 quid a go, thats 160 quid for those flats, but theres about 4 of them in the group. however, it seems to take him about half a day on this estate, but i also see him on the other side of the road in that time too. lets say that he manages to find enough work for 5 days a week, on the basis of 320 a day,, thats about 2100 a week. lets say that he only takes a quarter of the income, say about 500 quid gross per week. then he has to take off NI, tax, petrol, materials, sickness, holiday, non payers, cashflow, lets play safe again and say that this costs him about half of his income, so he takes home an average of 250 per week, about 12k a year

BUT thats on the basis of finding people who dont already have a window cleaner
The Following User Says Thank You to puddy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
GucciMane
Old 15-04-2009, 3:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

lemonade stand
The Following User Says Thank You to GucciMane For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
naijapower
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You could consider trading on ebay. simple buying and selling the right items
The Following User Says Thank You to naijapower For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
JonnyBravo
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenner View Post
i live in london and my window cleaner comes every 5 weeks or so. he does most of this estate where there are 36 flats. lets say he only does 20 of the flats to play safe. he charges 8 quid a go, thats 160 quid for those flats, but theres about 4 of them in the group. however, it seems to take him about half a day on this estate, but i also see him on the other side of the road in that time too. lets say that he manages to find enough work for 5 days a week, on the basis of 320 a day,, thats about 2100 a week. lets say that he only takes a quarter of the income, say about 500 quid gross per week. then he has to take off NI, tax, petrol, materials, sickness, holiday, non payers, cashflow, lets play safe again and say that this costs him about half of his income, so he takes home an average of 250 per week, about 12k a year

BUT thats on the basis of finding people who dont already have a window cleaner
Let's say he's not paying tax and claiming dole at the same time. Perhaps he's on incapacity. Probably been in thru a few open windows too.

Bet he's on more than 12k now.

(The above is merely conjecture and weak humour.... I'm sure there are a few window cleaners who pay all the tax they should etc)
# 7
GucciMane
Old 15-04-2009, 3:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

what about toilet cleaner? or dustbin cleaner?
The Following User Says Thank You to GucciMane For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
puddy
Old 15-04-2009, 3:59 PM

oven cleaner?
# 9
Robert Sterling
Old 15-04-2009, 4:08 PM

My window cleaner comes round once every eight weeks.
Charges 20
Takes about an hour.
He also cleans gutters for 40 if required once a year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Sterling For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
socrates
Old 15-04-2009, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0000 View Post
hi im starting to save up so i can start a business and was wondering what small business i could start with around 3000 to 5000 pound that will pay 10,000+ a year minimun
Lots of cheap commercial vehicles about - you could start a rubbish collection, house clearance, man with a van and delivery service. They sell of a lot of the metal items on as well as old washing machines and fridges.

This way you would also have a vehicle to use, so the expense of your own private car would immediately disappear.

Worst case scenario it does not work out and you sell the vehicle on.

If you get registered with your local authority for rubbish dumping - you can show the pass when you call at peoples houses and it shows you are not a 'cowboy'

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to socrates For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
ILW
Old 15-04-2009, 4:13 PM

Drug dealer, I have heard it can be very profitable, if a bit risky.
Or more boringly you can train to be a driving instructor for about 3000, trouble is loads are doing it and work may be a bit scarce in the short term.
# 12
naijapower
Old 15-04-2009, 4:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yeah ...drug dealing is an option especially in my area as the Police are turning a blind to drug dealers that have been reported (even with video evidence). At least you can be assured you will get away scott free...no joke
# 13
dave0000
Old 15-04-2009, 4:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

drug dealing is ILLEGAL
# 14
RisingJoe
Old 15-04-2009, 4:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

well when faced with this criterai and the current market situation you need ot ensurethat you have a target audience.

Take Oven cleaning for example... when times are hard who would pay for someone else to clean it? its a tertiary service so its one of the first to go with tightenning the belt.

you need to look at a service / product that is less likely to be chopped out when saving money. for example maintainence work for a care home or Leasing agent. becasue they will recieve a regular income they will have a regular pot for works.

try not to put yourself into a small market sector or you may struggle to keep at it.

Like most careers, if you are good at it and can maintain good standards you will be remembered and reccommended.
Awaiting PPI - Lloyds TSB Loan
Debt Free Date: 30/10/09 02/10/09 07/08/09 10/07/09
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RisingJoe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Idiophreak
Old 15-04-2009, 4:47 PM

Quote:
drug dealing is ILLEGAL
eh? since when?
# 16
ILW
Old 15-04-2009, 4:48 PM

Quote:
drug dealing is ILLEGAL
Didn't appear to be when I lived in Lewisham.
# 17
DropBeat
Old 15-04-2009, 5:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

It is a bit of an open ended question, but assuming you are being geniune and not having any clue at all about what your skill sets are, here are some suggestions:

1) Web development and/or hosting for SME (see recent issue of PCPro for info on how to set up and run this business - probably on their website, or newsagent)

2) Creative enterprise that can sell things at a market / fair. Ideas include: local cupcakes, jams, pickles, decorated cardboard shields and swords for kids, etc...

3) Man-and-a-van: pick up, drop off, odd jobs, etc.

4) Luxury car valeting (drive to their house, clean car inside and out)

5) Programming the next big hit on the iTunes App Store

6) UK distributor for something that you are passionate about. My mate did this after college for a few years importing upgrade parts for Japanese sports cars. Small community that he served and built a good reputation among.

7) Gardening

8) Childrens entertainer (avoid being a clown, though, as a lot of kids are scared), or party equipment supplier (bouncy castles, etc.) Watch out though, as the insurance may well be massive (no idea).

That is all I can think of, but if you can suggest some of your skills then it would certainly make things easier (and make suggestions more relevant).

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DropBeat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
chickmug
Old 15-04-2009, 5:45 PM

Quote:

http://www.daltonsbusiness.com/

http://uk.businessesforsale.com/

I am not sure if the businesses or franchises on these web sites go down to your figure but it may be worth a look. They are the two biggest web sites for selling UK businesses. The business equivalent of Rightmove for houses.

There may be some useful info on them?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chickmug For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
lincroft1710
Old 15-04-2009, 6:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to lincroft1710

The most important factor of any business is the person running it. So it's what you yourself are capable of, what training/skills you have. You should be thinking alomg the lines of "what would I like/be able to do". Search Amazon/eBay/ bookshops/library for books on setting up and running small businesses. On downside many new businesses fail within first 2 yrs and often don't pay salary for 1st yr.
The Following User Says Thank You to lincroft1710 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
mikee_j
Old 15-04-2009, 6:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Freelance photographer?
Closed Thread