Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    lestamunda
    Hotpoint Tumble Dryer Has A Burning Smell From The Back
    • 26th Feb 06, 1:05 PM
    Hotpoint Tumble Dryer Has A Burning Smell From The Back 26th Feb 06 at 1:05 PM
    Our Hotpoint dryer has started playing up after many years of usage! The drum stops turning and we can smell burning from the back.

I have opened the back and it seems to be coming from the fan area at the bottom. It seems to stop (the drum included) and then lets out the burning smell. I think this fan is also connected to the motor?

Does anybody have a clue if this is a cheap repair or even better, can I repair it?

If not, any ideas where I can get a cheap vented branded dryer from?

Pls help................
    Last edited by lestamunda; 26-02-2006 at 1:10 PM.
Page 1
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 26th Feb 06, 2:37 PM
    • 5,070 Posts
    • 5,409 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 26th Feb 06, 2:37 PM
    • 26th Feb 06, 2:37 PM
    It would seem that the drum is sticking for whatever reason (probably a seized bearing) and the belt that is being driven by the motor is burning.

Nothing lasts for ever. It would probably cheaper in the long run to have a new one.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • a&akay
    • By a&akay 26th Feb 06, 3:12 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    a&akay
    • 26th Feb 06, 3:12 PM
    • 26th Feb 06, 3:12 PM
    The drive belt may be slack from stretching. The burning would be friction on the rubber at the motor end. You need to slacken the bolts on the motor and lever the motor to tighten the tension, then tighten the bolts. Don't overdo it as you will put more strain on both the motor and drum bearings. A new belt may be called for if badly burned.
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 27th Feb 06, 9:56 AM
    • 26,924 Posts
    • 78,565 Thanks
    jackieb
    • 27th Feb 06, 9:56 AM
    • 27th Feb 06, 9:56 AM
    My last dryer caught fire. It was a Bosch and only 3 years old (filter cleaned regularly). It had been getting very hot for a while beforehand but I never bothered getting someone out to look at it. Many years ago my parents neighbour's kitchen was gutted after she went out and left her dryer on. Personally i wouldn't trust a dryer if I had smelt it burning and i'd get a new one.
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 27th Feb 06, 9:58 AM
    • 26,924 Posts
    • 78,565 Thanks
    jackieb
    • 27th Feb 06, 9:58 AM
    • 27th Feb 06, 9:58 AM
    If it is just a belt i've managed to change one on my hotpoint dryer without any instructions. It cost me £7.50 for the belt.
  • lestamunda
    • 27th Feb 06, 9:02 PM
    • 27th Feb 06, 9:02 PM
    Does anyone have any ideas where I can buy a cheap replacement.

Would prefer Hotpoint again!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,394Posts Today

6,737Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Follow Martin