Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    MSE Jenny
    Do I have to pay tax on my eBay sales? Question of the week discussion
    • 17th Mar 09, 7:27 PM
    Do I have to pay tax on my eBay sales? Question of the week discussion 17th Mar 09 at 7:27 PM
    Q. Do I have to pay tax on my eBay sales?

A.
    Selling your own stuff that you don't need anymore, such as cast-off clothing or second-hand stereos, is fine. However, online earnings become taxable when you become a trader, someone who sells goods bought with the intention of selling them, or makes items and sells them for profit.

The difficulty here is when its a grey area. If youre not sure, you may need to take advice from an accountant, yet as a rule of thumb ask, would a reasonable person, who knew the score, say you were trading or just selling your own stuff? One thing not to do is lie to the taxman; they have serious powers to investigate and if they do, the stories are nightmares.

Also if youre a trader then the people who buy from you have full consumer rights (goods must be satisfactory quality, as described, fit for purpose and last a reasonable length of time).

Theres an HMRC guide to help you work out if you need to notify it about income made from online sales. Also see the Ebay Selling guide.

If you'd like to discuss this click reply below.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

225Posts Today

1,357Users online

Martin's Twitter