Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

How do i give unwanted clothes direct to the Homeless

Options
I have a few bags of unwanted clothes that i want to give to someone who really needs them.
I dont really want to give them to a charity shop as i dont want the shops to make money off them direct.
I would much rather them go to someone who really needs them.

But when im looking for shelter or homeless places in my area ( Bracknell )
i come to a bit of a blank..

can anyone advise of where i should look

Comping & Coupons!

Comments

• stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    Options
    I have a few bags of unwanted clothes that i want to give to someone who really needs them.
    I dont really want to give them to a charity shop as i dont want the shops to make money off them direct.
    I would much rather them go to someone who really needs them.

But when im looking for shelter or homeless places in my area ( Bracknell )
    i come to a bit of a blank..

can anyone advise of where i should look

There is a Roma woman who for years has pitched up outside Marks & Spencer's in Maidenhead, she sells the Big Issue for a living. She uses a mobile phone, sometimes buys food in M & S, has a KFC for lunch then at the end of the day catches the train back to Slough. I'm not sure if she is genuine homeless or just taking the p_1ss, I suspect the later.
  • dementedhousewife
    Options
    stamford wrote: »
    There is a Roma woman who for years has pitched up outside Marks & Spencer's in Maidenhead, she sells the Big Issue for a living. She uses a mobile phone, sometimes buys food in M & S, has a KFC for lunch then at the end of the day catches the train back to Slough. I'm not sure if she is genuine homeless or just taking the p_1ss, I suspect the later.

Lol that isnt quite what i mean... do you stalk her lol...:D :rotfl: .
    Comping & Coupons!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A quick google seems to indicate that your nearest homeless organisations might be Slough or Reading.

Berkshire Women's Aid would probably be able to use any women's and children's clothing, and may have a drop-off point in Bracknell.

Your local Salvation Army Citadel might also welcome clothing: they are usually active in any initiatives for the homeless, and that can include giving practical help after domestic emergencies such as fire or flood. I'd give a link but I've not been able to find a good one, try your local phone book!

Be aware that not all groups working with the homeless have the capacity to give out clothing: there are issues of storage and selling on. Also they may have fairly specific requirements: for example the charity I work for is based in Bristol and can use SMALL sizes of ladies clothing, but only those suitable for younger people rather than crimplene trousers and polyester blouses with frills at the neck, IYSWIM.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    You could try offering them on freecycle because lots of people in dire circumstances look at it and apply for free clothes etc.

If you have a charity called St Basils near to you - they are homeless charity and may take clothes but as said before the Salvation Army is probably your best bet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure