Cutting clay sewage pipe

If anyone could help with this please. I need to cut a sewer pipe to make a new join. The pipe is about 130mm in diameter and very old. I think its made from clay or similar material. I have attached a picture below:
6r53dj.jpg

I have heard the best way to cut this type of pipe is with an angle grinder. Should i use a 4.5inch or a 9inch grinder? or is there another way? thanks

Comments

• yan1
    yan1 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Yep, use the 4.5in grinder with a stone or diamond disc on it, shouldn't be a problem. You'll have to dig deeper and underneath the pipe where you're making the cut though.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    From the look of it a 4.5" disc wont go right through anyway but that said I have no idea whether a grinder is suitable for the job...
  • yan1
    latecomer wrote: »
    From the look of it a 4.5" disc wont go right through anyway but that said I have no idea whether a grinder is suitable for the job...

A 4.5" won't go straight through it. Neither would a 9" or 12". You need to cut all the way round the pipe externally, hence digging deeper and under.
  • zone
    zone Posts: 249 Forumite
    Thanks for replies. That is the same problem i was thinking of about not being able to get round the pipe.

From the pic do people think its possible to connect a Y joint or would i need to disconnect the old piece coming from the bottom left and use a bend connection instead? The flow direction is to the upper right. Ive added a couple of lines to my pic to show what i mean. The yellow line is showing the angle where the new pipe would be coming from.

32zndsp.jpg
  • yan1
    Is the new run going to be in plastic? If so yes you'll just need a couple of the rubber adaptors to go from your clay to plastic at the two straight ends of the 'y' .
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    you just need to smash that pipe up. you wont need it again.
    then insert the new plastic y-piece in its place.

you will prob need to dig the hole much bigger so that you can adjust/lift the two pipes, either side.
    Get some gorm.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Joints in clay pipes are notorious for leaking, if there is the slightest movement of the joint. If the rest of the pipe is kept well covered with soil to prevent movement, you will probably be ok., but I would not recommend that you thump the pipe too much, or move it. Quite a lot of these old clay pipe joints were put together with nothing more than a cement bag wrapped around the pipe and an application of almost neat cement to the outside. I had a lot of trouble when I built my house, trying to tie in with the old clay drain. In the end it was easier to replace a whole section between inspection pits with new plastic. Luckily the old pipe was very near the surface and not too much digging was required. Nice to see a good photo of the problem. Others please take note.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • zone
    zone Posts: 249 Forumite
    Yes thanks for all the replies. The new pipe will be pvc. But i have only dug up to about half the run of the old clay pipe. To replace fully with pvc is so much more work i dont think my back could take it :eek: with all that digging. Its possible though. Please check the new thread ive created it has more detail on what im trying to do. thanks
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    I used a 4 1/2 angle grinder last time I cut one.
    I took off the shield, so with a bare disc, cut from the top down to about half way, then cut again to take out a "v" from the top, big enough to take the body of the grinder.
    With the angle grinder I could now cut from the inside of the pipe, to get a neat edge.
    Don't let go of the grinder without the shield, and don't stand over it.
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can hire a pair of chain cutters, safer than using a grinder and a neater cut.
    And you need a inspection chamber, so forget about putting a Y piece(branch) IN
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure