Can I part exchange 2 cars?

Short story is... Hubby and I both want to sell our cars and get 1 car between us and maybe a cheapy runaround second car. We're looking at getting a new car from a dealer so I was wondering if I can ask them to take both our cars as part exchange, or is that not the done thing?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Comments

• nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes you can, but don't expect the garage to pay top dollar...

I would sell one, if not both, privately then try and get a better deal :)
  • nunnygirl
    nunnygirl Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Shouldn't be a problem

Used to work in a garage and this happened on a few occasions.....even once took a caravan and a scooter as part ex!
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member 1216 -
    2011 Total - £526.62

2012 Total - £503.87
  • Thanks for the quick responses!

I think we will try to sell hubby's car privately - much better condition than mine and really low mileage, but it's good to know that it's an option to px both.

Thanks again
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    As stated you will not be offered the best deals. I imagine the only thing worse than one p/x would be two.....lol
  • A good dealer will offer you whatever a fair market price is for your part exchange they will do this if you have 1 or 4 px's. The most i ever did in exchange for 1 car was 3.

I can't see any reason why you would be offered a worse deal because you are px-ing two cars.

If you want to sell it/them privately you may get more money. If you take this option stick to a short timescale and price your car's realistically. Otherwise you will spend 2months trying to sell it, give up, go to px by which time you might be another £500 worse off.
  • Contessa
    Contessa Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I did this a few years ago with 2 old cars-one with an MOT the other without. I bought my current car from the dealer who took them both.
  • BillScarab
    BillScarab Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    I used to work at a secind hand car dealer. They would take two or more cars in part ex. The weirdest part ex they took was a snooker table!
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

• Try not to get too emotionally attached to your private sale and price it realistically if you want to sell it quickly. Remember, a car's not worth what any book says - it's worth what it sells for on the day ;).

I've fallen into this trap before myself - but you can always use the same argument with dealers, especially now. In my experience they have never ever offered anything below bottom book price, no matter what the condition, mileage etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure