IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Paying In Slips
Closed Thread
Views: 9,357
# 1
sweetiepie2121
Old 28-01-2009, 4:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Arrow Paying In Slips

Is a paying in book necessary to have?
I bank with NatWest.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of having one?

All coments apreciated.

Thanks.
# 2
Lokolo
Old 28-01-2009, 4:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If you are regularly filling out paying in slips its a lot quicker because you don't have to fill in account etc. details.
You only live once so make the most of it!
# 3
opinions4u
Old 28-01-2009, 5:21 PM
PPR

Never understood the need for them - they seem to be a throwback to a more archaic way of banking.

But if your bank requires an extra piece of paper, so be it.

Personally, I prefer "Hand over your money to a cashier, agree the amount, get a receipt printed and leave."

Far more sensible and no form filling.
The Following User Says Thank You to opinions4u For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Mikeyorks
Old 28-01-2009, 5:23 PM

It's safer ...... pre-populated with your account data and therefore no bad handwritten figures to be misinterpreted.
If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
# 5
Old 28-01-2009, 5:27 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by opinions4u View Post
Never understood the need for them - they seem to be a throwback to a more archaic way of banking.

Personally, I prefer "Hand over your money to a cashier, agree the amount, get a receipt printed and leave."

Yeah Halifax don't have them - was a bit surprised when HSBC sent me a load of paying in books when I opened some accounts with them
# 6
rb10
Old 28-01-2009, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opinions4u View Post

Agreed ... I'm assuming it's a throwback to the days before the level of computerisation that we have now. It certainly seems a curious and pointless waste of time for everyone.

I'm glad my account is with Halifax, where they do it in a far more sensible and modern way!
# 7
ShelfStacker
Old 28-01-2009, 6:17 PM

If used properly, they provide extra protection to the bank and the customer. You write down what you have and a breakdown of the cash, they tick off against it and stamp it, it's now a paper record and proof of what was paid in. Sorted.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShelfStacker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
oldandgrumpy
Old 29-01-2009, 5:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

When using Barclays envelopes for the deposit box, they require a paying in slip as well as the hand written data on the envelope. What a waste of time.
# 9
willo65
Old 29-01-2009, 5:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Natwest do still provide them to give the customer a choice but you can just use your chip and pin card or just your account number to pay in at the cashier.
# 10
Heng Leng
Old 29-01-2009, 8:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

In the case of NatWest, the pay-in book would allow you to pay cash & cheques into your account via other parts of RBS group i.e RBS, Ulster bank & Isle of Man bank.
# 11
rb10
Old 29-01-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heng Leng View Post
In the case of NatWest, the pay-in book would allow you to pay cash & cheques into your account via other parts of RBS group i.e RBS, Ulster bank & Isle of Man bank.
Have they not yet integrated their computer systems yet then?? With HBOS, you can use either a Halifax or BOS branch with either account, no need for a paying-in slip.
# 12
opinions4u
Old 30-01-2009, 7:00 AM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb10 View Post
Have they not yet integrated their computer systems yet then?? With HBOS, you can use either a Halifax or BOS branch with either account, no need for a paying-in slip.
It will be interesting to see how well they eventually integrate with Lloyds.

At present, I question the space available in branches to merge the networks. This isn't the time to splash the cash on new premises and be left with bills on two empty high street shops either.

And this is before you consider the complexity of systems!

My mate who's a Lloyds manager tells me they still haven't fully integrated the TSB yet for 10 years ago!
# 13
Twister84
Old 30-01-2009, 7:54 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb10 View Post
Have they not yet integrated their computer systems yet then??
Nope, because RBS and Natwest haven't merged as such, whereas Halifax and BoS have. Natwest was just bought out buy RBS and still operate independently. (different products to RBS etc)

I can't see the above happening either anytime soon.
Currently working for Natwest

Anything that I do say though, is strictly my opinion

# 14
lolrus
Old 06-02-2010, 2:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question On a related matter...

...slightly OT, but as the experts seem to be here...

Can anybody explain why my bank, Barclays, almost (but not) always refuse to fill out a paying-in slip for me if I'm paying in cheques, but will do so without question if it's cash?

A friend banks at Natwest and says she's never had the problem. I mentioned this to a member of staff at my branch of Barclays and she said it was different for Natwest :-S Something to do with not processing the cheques on site, IIRC.

I was just on the phone to Barclays on an unrelated matter, and asked the same question. This time I was told that it was against the law (clearly cobblers, AFAICT) or possibly something to do with a regulatory body :-S

Anyone know the actual reason(s)?

Cheers.
# 15
ajharris
Old 06-02-2010, 11:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Dark ages

Quote:
Originally Posted by 456789 View Post
Yeah Halifax don't have them - was a bit surprised when HSBC sent me a load of paying in books when I opened some accounts with them

That is one area where HSBC fail miserably. In this respect they are well and truly rooted in the eighties. In this day and age you should be able to hand over your card along with the cash.
Money is the headache, money is the cure!
# 16
glider3560
Old 07-02-2010, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajharris View Post
That is one area where HSBC fail miserably. In this respect they are well and truly rooted in the eighties. In this day and age you should be able to hand over your card along with the cash.
As much as I love the service from HSBC, this is something that really annoys me. If you hand over the card and cash, they still fill in a slip for you. But the thing that bugs me, is that when you hand over a pre-populated slip, they still have to manually type the account details into the computer. Surely it is far easier and more accurate to simply swipe your card?

# 17
ajharris
Old 07-02-2010, 10:22 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider3560 View Post
As much as I love the service from HSBC, this is something that really annoys me. If you hand over the card and cash, they still fill in a slip for you. But the thing that bugs me, is that when you hand over a pre-populated slip, they still have to manually type the account details into the computer. Surely it is far easier and more accurate to simply swipe your card?

I agree totally with what you have written. HSBC are first class, thier express banking machines, cash deposit machines along with the on line banking are all state of the art. The list of good points is endless. Luckily on the rare ocassion that I do pay in cash I use the machines.

When I have had to fill out a slip it is so annoying.
Money is the headache, money is the cure!
Closed Thread