Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    ScotInEngland
    Council Tax after death?
    • 19th Jan 09, 11:14 AM
    Council Tax after death? 19th Jan 09 at 11:14 AM
    I am executor of my late MILs estate which which is really only her house.

Probate has been granted and the local Council gave 6 months free of Council Tax.

That 6 months is up and now the council is sending bills for the remainder of the years CT.

The bill is addressed to "The Executors of........" and the property is unoccupied. (has been up for sale but none of those making offers could proceed). The council are insisting that I make monthly payments on this account.

Now my question is should I be making these payments?

It seems the CT can become chargeable after the 6 months but my concern is about actually making the payments now.

I understood that as executor I had establish all debts and all assets then once all that info is available distribute the estate, paying debts in a prescribed order then if anything left distribute to beneficiary. I also understood that no debts (other than funeral expenses and Inheritance Tax) should paid until the final balances were known.

So as far as I can see the council should wait until the estate is finalised before being paid.

One major problem is the estate has no way of making the payments, there is no money only the house. So the only way to make a payment would be out of my own pocket which I can't afford.(I get CT benefit towards my own CT) and I didn't think executors were supposed to do this.

Does anyone know what the rules are when it comes to an estate paying these charges?
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,967Posts Today

6,577Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• RT @MoneySavingExp: If you're affected by the #HSBC payments glitch, here's what you need to do (more to follow, when we get it): http://t.?

• Follow Martin