Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > MoneySavers Arms > The Money Savers Arms > Is someone using my address? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Is someone using my address?
Closed Thread
Views: 6,864
# 1
Corona
Old 08-01-2009, 12:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Question Is someone using my address?

I keep getting letters addressed to someone I don't know at our home. We've lived here almost 15 years and it's not the previous owner.

After sending a couple back marked "not known at this address" I started opening them and they relate to MFI going into Adminisration - they are addressed to someone as though they're a creditor of MFI. I phoned the company up this morning (it was called Kroll but is now operating under the Zolfo Cooper brand) and they told me that the name & address has been provided "by the directors of MFI" and that it was, basically, nothing to do with them, but they would delete the details from their database.

Now I'm worried that someone is using my address - perhaps for fraudulent purposes! Does anyone have any idea how I can check what's going on ?? Have no idea where to even start.
# 2
rosie-marie
Old 08-01-2009, 1:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi, yes we had this a while ago. It was from a mobile phone company. We just sent them back but they still kept coming. Had a word with postman who strongly advised opening them to make sure it wasn't a fraud problem. They were statements for unpaid bills which concerned us so we called the company (a call centre in India!!) everytime we received a letter explaining that this person didn't live at this address. Eventually we spoke to someone who seemed to understand and who thought it was likely down to someone accidently giving wrong postcode which can cause problems with billing system. He said unlikely to be criminal activity. Never heard anything since. Hope this is of some help
The Following User Says Thank You to rosie-marie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
MothballsWallet
Old 08-01-2009, 2:02 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Sounds like someone who can't get their address right when giving it to MFI/Kroll/Zolfo Cooper. Lot of that about nowadays, it's like a brain disease.

I'd try something like rose-marie suggested if it continues after a week or so (to give them time to do what they promise, although it should really only take a few minutes to take data out of a computerised database or add notes to it).
Always ask yourself one question: What would MothballsWallet do?
14/09/1954: Remember Totskoye
MbW v UK Gov: Mrs MbW returns 30th August
The Following User Says Thank You to MothballsWallet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Mics_chick
Old 08-01-2009, 3:05 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If you are really concerned Corona then contact the credit reference agencies (Experian,Equifax,etc) for advice about this - they are the people who hold most information about this and can possibly put measures in place to stop anyone from obtaining credit fraudulently at your address
Check on here (MSE) for a full list of all the main credit ref agencies.

Although everyone thinks that it's illegal to open other people's post I'm pretty sure it's only illegal if you use the information inside the mail against the person named
I'm sure that Martin has clarified this before so you could do a search to see if you could find it

If I were in your situation - that is, had lived at an address for several years and started to receive post for someone else (whether they were a previous owner or tenant or not ) then I would open it to see what it was about - coz think about it - how are they gonna find out you opened it anyway :shh:
If there was a lot of mail or any of it was money-related (even just an offer of a loan/credit card) then I would contact Experian (coz they're the largest credit ref agency) to inform them of possible fraud

I don't know if this makes any difference but I did use to work for a credit reference agency although it's a few years ago now...
You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
"anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs

Last edited by Mics_chick; 08-01-2009 at 3:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mics_chick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread