IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How to Build a Log Store?
Closed Thread
Views: 51,800
# 1
krungthep56
Old 28-12-2008, 1:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default How to Build a Log Store?

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong forum but having had a wood burning stove installed I have come to realise fairly quickly that I will need a lean-to type logstore to help protect & dry the logs which feed the things voracious appetite.

I have done a quick trawl and found all manner of log stores varying from 70 to over 300
at
https://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk...ProductID=4416

As I shall need a few of these, and no desire to spend almost as much as the stove cost, does anyone know of a link where I could find plans to build something similar.

Ideas and suggestions appreciated and apologies again if incorrectly posted.

KT56
The Following User Says Thank You to krungthep56 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
alanobrien
Old 28-12-2008, 1:28 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Take a look here, you can see from the photo's it should be fairly easy and cheap to make. I like the green roof, a nice touch that but easy to make without it i suspect.

http://www.thegreenroofcentre.co.uk/...ages/Peter.htm
# 3
krungthep56
Old 29-12-2008, 1:15 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks Alan, nice idea but unfortunately it wouldn't work in my situation as I need something which would be shallow but very wide.

Any more suggestions?

Regds,

KT56
# 4
PasturesNew
Old 29-12-2008, 1:39 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Damn. I just posted and it showed up twice. I deleted it then they both went!

1] Stack them up, chuck a tarpaulin over with a couple of rocks on top - virtually free.
2] Look in those A5 catalogues of stuff nobody needs for those green plastic garden stores
3] This is a bike shed - not deep, but much cheaper/larger than your proposed log store (and lockable) http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...d--0EymRfQ7bW5
The Following User Says Thank You to PasturesNew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
izzzzythedog
Old 29-12-2008, 1:49 AM
MoneySaving Convert

make one yourself , very easy to do , few pallets and 2 inch wood , angle the roof to allow water to run off the back , paint the roof with old paint ( gloss ) and stick a bit of plastic to it to keep the water out , easy
# 6
alanobrien
Old 29-12-2008, 11:16 AM

Shallow but wide is tricky. I would think about cheap garage racking perhaps and then cover with a tarp or plastic.
# 7
Andy Davies
Old 30-12-2008, 8:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

This one looks like it would be quite simple to copy

http://www.buyshedsdirect.co.uk/sear...-store-glg-851

Other thing to do is have a search in Google images and you may come up with some other interesting designs.
# 8
dND
Old 30-12-2008, 9:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi krungthep56,

Couple of questions; how often are you going to be using the fire and for how long each time?

Secondly, are you going to be buying in wood or do you have access to wood you can harvest yourself?

Deborah

# 9
peter_the_piper
Old 30-12-2008, 10:15 PM

When in Scotland I noticed quite a few poly tunnels used as log stores.
Sorry, normal service will be resumed shortly.
# 10
gamston
Old 31-12-2008, 5:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

can't u buy reclaimed timber,
i've got a yard where i but old shuttering boards from,
i got 3" x2" reclaimed timber, shuttering boards and made wood stores, childrens 2 storey playhouse, tree houses etc paint it with that wood paint and felt for roofs lasts for years
# 11
Debt_Free_Chick
Old 01-01-2009, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krungthep56 View Post
Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong forum but having had a wood burning stove installed I have come to realise fairly quickly that I will need a lean-to type logstore to help protect & dry the logs which feed the things voracious appetite.
I'm with you on this one

Mine have been stacked in the garden (on an old gravel hardstanding) and covered with a green garden table cover and it's an eyesore! Drives me mad every time I see it, which is a dozen or more times a day.

Mine needs to be fairly "rustic" or at least not look out of place in a rural setting with a backdrop of ancient woodland and fields!

Let's Google and see what we can find, eh?
Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac
The Following User Says Thank You to Debt_Free_Chick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Debt_Free_Chick
Old 01-01-2009, 10:07 AM

Try

firewood storage plans

into Google.

This will get you American DIY projects, which seem to offer the greatest variety of options!
Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac
The Following User Says Thank You to Debt_Free_Chick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
rhiwfield
Old 01-01-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debt_Free_Chick View Post
I'm with you on this one

Mine have been stacked in the garden (on an old gravel hardstanding) and covered with a green garden table cover and it's an eyesore! Drives me mad every time I see it, which is a dozen or more times a day.

Mine needs to be fairly "rustic" or at least not look out of place in a rural setting with a backdrop of ancient woodland and fields!

Let's Google and see what we can find, eh?
krungthep56 posted the same question on the utilities forum
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...html?t=1378521

I think the one I built qualifies as rustic!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rhiwfield For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
gamston
Old 03-01-2009, 6:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

my wood shed is 8ftX6ftx8ft normally full at the start of the season, by the end of the season its emtpy, i use any kind of wood, from trees to pallets any thing i can find
i have oil central heating as well ,so the wood fire is just supplementing the oil boiler.
so u will need a big wood shed
# 15
krungthep56
Old 04-01-2009, 9:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks to all for interest and while pondering a longer term solution and after having taken a delivery of a load of mixed hardwood logs last week, I decided to stack them on two pallets in two rows with an airgap between, and with another another pallet stacked vertically and braced at each end for support; not perfect aesthetically for a long-term solution, but good as a temporary measure and following today's sprinkling of snow I have also thrown a a tarpaulin over them for protection - overall it looks quite presentable.

If I do eventually store them close to the garage wall (most likely), then I'll keep the pallets for base and side walls and use trimmed fence panels as a sloping roof as we have some spare close-boarded panels from an earlier fencing job.

To answer an earlier query we plan to use the stove on a daily basis for up to 4-5 hours/day with perhaps twice that at weekends ie say 30-35 hours/week.

As an aside I experimented with netted bags of logs from our local Focus several weeks ago and must say what a disaster they were! All softwood, all very resinous and all very wet: they spat and crackled when and if they would light and went mouldy in double quick time; fortunately we found a local farmer who has a supply of what seem to be good quality seasoned logs and I expect we'll be back for more when this load runs out.

Regds,

KT56
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krungthep56 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
dND
Old 05-01-2009, 8:58 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you're buying in the cut and split wood I would suggest contemplating something like rhiwfield has built but it might be worth seeing how quickly you go through the wood you've bought. It should then give you and idea of how much you want to store, how much you want to buy at one time etc. You'll also find out how far across the garden you're happy to walk in the cold/wet to get to the wood too

I hope to be felling my own wood in a few years (once I've got the coppice planted!) hence my questions, I'll need to store for two years before I can use most of the wood and my cooker runs 24/7 in winter.

Good luck with the wood store

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dND For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
SD-253
Old 02-05-2010, 4:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Making a wood store

You can make a wood store from pallets. Pallets are generally nailed together with nails which are not designed to be removed BUT if you have a pallet with 3 beams/stretchers going across it and then the platform is nailed to them. You can actually get a reasonable length of wood of without splitting it. What you do is cut with chainsaw or circular saw at both ends leaving the wood attached only by middle cross beam, then pull at one end untill it starts to come loose then go to other end and do the same do this once more this way you are not likely to split the wood all you have to do then is hammer the nails out. Now you will only have to buy the main timbers that the planks nailed to. Use other pallets for the base I find this necessary even when the wood is on sloping concrete. Treating the pallet planks is also a good idea I just use fence wood preserver easy and quick to apply. JB
# 18
ixwood
Old 02-05-2010, 6:00 PM

What about a cheap gazebo?

# 19
Lotus-eater
Old 02-05-2010, 6:04 PM

Hopefully he should have built it by now...
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
Closed Thread