Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales > PayPal charged me twice for the same item !! Lost... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
PayPal charged me twice for the same item !! Lost 208 GBP !!!
Closed Thread
Views: 3,715
# 1
zwobott
Old 22-12-2008, 9:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default PayPal charged me twice for the same item !! Lost 208 GBP !!!

hi

Don't know what to do; I had found a seller on eBay who was selling some stuff. We agreed the price, and he withdrew the offer, I sent him money via PayPal, got the items a few days later (beginning of October 2008), everything was fine, but...

Today, I was doing random checks of my PayPal account versus bank account, and it appears that PayPal charged me twice for the same service. The amount of money I have sent was 208 GBP, but PayPal did send altogether 416 GBP!

As soon as I have discovered what had happened I sent them an e-mail:

'''Hello,
just had done some checks on my bank account and, it appears that PayPal charged me twice on 1st October 2008. I sent ### pounds that day to (name of the person/seller) for some items. What I can see on my PayPal statement for October 2008, there is 208 GBP twice taken out of my account that day !! Also I have double checked e-mails between me and Mr.Seller and the only amount we mentioned was 208 GBP !''

They replied me some hours later:

''I have reviewed your account and I can advise you that as both of these
transactions were sent over 45 days ago we can not force the seller to
refund your for these payments. In addition you would not be able to open a
non-receipt claim against one of the transaction due to the time frame which
has lapsed. I would advise you to contact the seller and ask them to refund
you. If they contact us and ask us to process this refund we can do so on
their behalf and ensure that no additional charges are incurred.

I understand your frustration regarding this matter and apologize for the
inconvenience it caused you.''

My answer:

''Wait a minute.

It was not me who sent these money twice to the seller, it was PayPal service!!!
I authorized you ONCE by clicking to sent 208 GBP to that person!

You charged me twice / have taken money from my account, and how dare you saying now that it is my responsibility ? is it a joke ???

That is my last letter to you! If you don't want to return my money, I am going to the police, and media!''

Has anyone experienced similar problems with PayPal ?
What should I do next ?
I have sent an e-mail to the seller, but so far no reply.

Thank you
# 2
steviebabes
Old 22-12-2008, 9:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have been paid twice for the same item before now but it usually occurs when the buyer does not think the payment has gone through and pays again. I always refund immediately and let the buyer know what has happened. They must have known and kept quiet about it. Did you not get 2 emails for the 2 payments?
# 3
Andy2342
Old 22-12-2008, 10:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwobott View Post
That is my last letter to you! If you don't want to return my money, I am going to the police, and media!''
lol , I bet they're shaking in their boots at the that threat.
# 4
zwobott
Old 22-12-2008, 10:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default .

I have just checked it, I have got two e-mails/confirmations from PayPal for the same amount of money, sent one at 19.50 and the other one at 19.52 the same day.

Also I have checked e-mails to and from the seller, nothing has been mentioned about double payment. I was even asked whether I got the items delivered some time later.
# 5
Andy2342
Old 22-12-2008, 10:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Looks like you've somehow submitted it twice, well paypals system will confirm that. Looks like the buyer maybe have been aware of the double payment and putting out feelers asking whether you got the items to see if you'd ask for a refund.

Threats to paypal will make no difference as it's only some underpaid customer servs rep looking at them and sending out stock replies, you need them on your side if you want them to go outside their remit. Have to see what the seller will do now as they can always pretend they sent two lots if push comes to shove.
# 6
katy-lou
Old 22-12-2008, 10:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

How ridiculas. I'd be fuming. I'm sorry I don't have any advice but I hope it gets sorted soon x
# 7
Alloydy
Old 22-12-2008, 10:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Zwobott. Unless paypal decide to perform a Christmas miracle, I think that you can safely say goodbye to your money.

The Indian robot will not have been pre-programmed with a further response to your issue except for the one that you have already received.

For that amount of cash, I would be emailing your original seller, and if that meets with no success, I would risk driving around and knocking on his door...with a couple of larger friends!!
# 8
Hintza
Old 22-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

So you have paid twice. You will need to speak to seller nicely, not PayPals fault. Neither EBays as you dealt outside Ebay.

Bad luck.
# 9
zwobott
Old 22-12-2008, 10:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default .

well,

I have been doing some eBay stuff for quite long now, spend with them quite few pennies, could say thousands, and this was the first time something like this has happened! I have never had any problems with them, could call myself an experienced eBay/PayPal user. Sending money twice has never happened to me, and I think I am careful. Once even reported PayPal a spoof e-mail I got.
# 10
steviebabes
Old 22-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If I had 2 emails for the same amount a couple of minutes apart I would have checked my paypal account immediately not several weeks later.
# 11
zwobott
Old 22-12-2008, 11:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hi, well, I could have done it, you're right, but as I said, I have never had any problems with PayPal before, even, when I'm doing and have been doing for ages any payments, I always wait/have been waiting for some time, because sometimes it takes few minutes for PayPal to acknowledge/accept/transfer payment/money. These two payments have been sent in just two minutes time, between 19.50 and 19.52 . I suspect it was Paypal's computer fault.
# 12
luvvlyjubbly
Old 23-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

The seller could just be trying it on....write to him and explain and if you get no joy, explain that you will be taking further action. I would also have a word with your bank and ask them to explain why you haven't been alerted that 2 exact amounts have been taken out of your account and ask them what they will do about it...
# 13
shelly
Old 23-12-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
hi, well, I could have done it, you're right, but as I said, I have never had any problems with PayPal before, even, when I'm doing and have been doing for ages any payments, I always wait/have been waiting for some time, because sometimes it takes few minutes for PayPal to acknowledge/accept/transfer payment/money. These two payments have been sent in just two minutes time, between 19.50 and 19.52 . I suspect it was Paypal's computer fault.

So when you received 2 payment confirmations for the same transaction didn't it occur to you that something wasn't right?
# 14
luvvlyjubbly
Old 23-12-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
well,

I have been doing some eBay stuff for quite long now, spend with them quite few pennies, could say thousands, and this was the first time something like this has happened! I have never had any problems with them, could call myself an experienced eBay/PayPal user. Sending money twice has never happened to me, and I think I am careful. Once even reported PayPal a spoof e-mail I got.
I hope this gets sorted but....you say you are an experienced paypal user....then why the heck didn't you fund this from your credit card....I wouldn't dream of paying for anything over 50 by any other means.
# 15
soolin
Old 23-12-2008, 8:42 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Also as an experienced ebayer your 1st post suggests that the items were withdrawn from ebay *before* you paid, thus making it an off ebay sale. That should have worried you as of course full paypal protection is not available if sales take place outside of ebay.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
# 16
zwobott
Old 23-12-2008, 3:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

well, I've got one of my current accounts is linked with PayPal, on the account there are never more than 30-40 GBP; in case I am paying for bigger items I transfer funds from a different minutes before paying via PayPal, bit more security, in case the account's data are stolen, no one is able to take more than 30-40 GBP; so far the system has been working great;

also e-mails that I get from eBay/PayPal are being sent to a different e-mail address than my proper one, hence I don't check it out quite often; the item I bought from the seller had been withdrawn from eBay prior sale, but still used PayPal as a sort of secure form of payment;

my problem now is not only these 208 GBP, but also bank charges... the account was overdrawn....

but as I said, I have never done such mistake before, always, making even small payments, I do wait for even 5-6 minutes for eBay/PayPal to confirm transaction, to see the screen of my computer saying ''payment has been completed''
# 17
bluebell_lily
Old 23-12-2008, 7:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

zwobott, not sure if this might help or not. Could you ask your bank to send a dispute form. I have one in front of me but for a cc:

Quote from form:
I confirm that I did not authorise the transactions to my account for the reasons stated below. Then you attach evidence or other documentation.

3. My account has been charged 2 times on DATE and DATE. Only one of these transactions has been authorised.

I'm not sure if this works, as when argos double charged their customers a few weeks ago?, this was the process. Also, had another transaction unauthorised via debit card/direct debit?, and that was years ago, but managed to claim it all back. It was a large amount as well.
# 18
zwobott
Old 23-12-2008, 7:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hi

just got a call from PayPal
they have also contacted the seller, and... I HAVE GOT ALL MY 208 GBP BACK !!!!

he behaved all right and as soon as he got the message, straight away sent money back !! )

if only I could, I would post his name here, because this guy is really an honest man.

the only thing I have got to do is to persuade my bank not to charge me for my overdraft, which was caused by this unfortunate transaction
# 19
durham_girl
Old 23-12-2008, 8:01 PM

Quote:
if only I could, I would post his name here, because this guy is really an honest man.
So honest he kept quiet until he was asked about the extra 208 he got out of the deal.......
30/7/10
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to durham_girl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
vet8
Old 23-12-2008, 8:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have had buyers pay me twice on many occasions, one even paid me 3 times!!! I always wondered if this was them being stupid and hitting the pay button more than once or a PayPal error.
Closed Thread