Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Easy way to remove vinyl floor tiles
    • 7th Nov 08, 1:43 PM
    Easy way to remove vinyl floor tiles 7th Nov 08 at 1:43 PM
    Hi everyone,
    Have started yet another job without thinking first.

Have got vinyl tiles in my kitchen that I want to pull up and replace with some more vinyl tiles. The only thing is theres about 3 layers of tiles on the floor already.

One lot is thick black vinyl which I presume has been here since the house was built, then theres some slightly thinner white vinyl tiles on top of those and then theres the cheap n cheerfull very thin ones I bought some years ago when I needed a quick fix option. Bits of the layers have gradually come away and Im left with a multi coloured floor and it looks a mess.

Ive bought some resonably good quality vinyl tiles from B&Q and have started to chip away at the old ones with a hammer and big chisel thingy (cant think of the proper name for it).

They are coming up slowly and it bits but its back breaking and leaving a gluey tarmac like substance on the concrete floor underneath the botton layer of tiles.

Is there an easier way to get these up and will I have to do anything to the floor before putting new ones down. What can I get the black tar stuff up with as it will take for ever scrapping.

Any ideas much appreciated.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

111Posts Today

2,656Users online

Martin's Twitter