Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • mcc28_x
    • By mcc28_x 3rd Nov 08, 2:56 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    mcc28_x
    • 3rd Nov 08, 2:56 PM
    I'm sure someone will confirm but disregard on a couple claim is £10 - after that income is taken into account pound for pound.

You may need to register as S/E see hmrc website.
    ================================================== ==
    mcc28_x

================================================== ==

• SomeBozo
    but wanted to know how much im allowed to earn
    You have to declare all income.

also do i have to inform inland revenue as i'll be classed as self-employed?
    Of course you do! All income that is not taxed at source must be notified to Inland Revenue. You then fill in a tax return at the end of the year.

cash in hand
    llowed to earn before it affects my benefit
    This smells fishy to me. If you earn money and don't declare it, you are breaking the law.

Bozo
  • suelees1
    • 3rd Nov 08, 6:31 PM
    • 3rd Nov 08, 6:31 PM
    There's a £10 disregard for a couple unless entitled to specific premia such as a carers premium
  • Roxita
    • 26th Jan 09, 9:46 AM
    • 26th Jan 09, 9:46 AM
    I was looking this exactly question. £10 disregard is so much. Thanks
  • Oldernotwiser
    • 26th Jan 09, 1:17 PM
    • 26th Jan 09, 1:17 PM
    The £10 disregard is one thing, working cash in hand is something completely different!
  • pontdugard
    • 27th Jan 09, 3:38 PM
    • 27th Jan 09, 3:38 PM
    As a single person I understand you can earn £60.50 per week plus £5.00 that is disregarded before you do not receive any JSA (income based) for that week.

Can anyone clarify if that is the case and you have worked under 16 hours a week if your JSA claim can still continue (paying 0.00 per week).

After the 13 week waiting period should you then eventually be able to receive some Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) ?
  • real1314
    • 27th Jan 09, 5:21 PM
    • 27th Jan 09, 5:21 PM
    As a single person I understand you can earn £60.50 per week plus £5.00 that is disregarded before you do not receive any JSA (income based) for that week.

Can anyone clarify if that is the case and you have worked under 16 hours a week if your JSA claim can still continue (paying 0.00 per week).

After the 13 week waiting period should you then eventually be able to receive some Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) ?
    Originally posted by pontdugard
    Whilst the rates you quote are correct, earning anything over £5 would result in a reduction in JSA on a pound for pound basis.

i.e Earn £30 and your JSA goes down by £25
    • busterkeye
    • By busterkeye 27th Jan 09, 8:36 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    busterkeye
    • 27th Jan 09, 8:36 PM
    • 27th Jan 09, 8:36 PM
    can I ask a question?

What if I dont get much work in over the next 4 months and lets say it adds upto £50 a week could I go to the dole hole and tell them what I have earned then they pay me some cash to bring me upto what a person on the dole would get??????????
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Is the most annoying thing ever
    • healy
    • By healy 27th Jan 09, 8:42 PM
    • 4,716 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    healy
    can I ask a question?

What if I dont get much work in over the next 4 months and lets say it adds upto £50 a week could I go to the dole hole and tell them what I have earned then they pay me some cash to bring me upto what a person on the dole would get??????????
    Originally posted by busterkeye
    If you mean to go and ask after 4 months then the answer is no.
    • busterkeye
    • By busterkeye 27th Jan 09, 9:11 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    busterkeye
    wish I was into car production or banking
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Is the most annoying thing ever
  • pontdugard
    "
    "

Maybe wasn't too clear.

What I meant was if you are earning around £75 - £80 a week, sometimes more sometimes less, whilst working under 16 hours a week can a claim for JSA (income based) continue ?

Obviously because of exceeding the single person earnings threshold of £65.50 you would receive zero JSA each week.

However would you eventually qualify for Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) after the 13 week waiting period ?
  • NASA
    "
    "

Maybe wasn't too clear.

What I meant was if you are earning around £75 - £80 a week, sometimes more sometimes less, whilst working under 16 hours a week can a claim for JSA (income based) continue ?

Obviously because of exceeding the single person earnings threshold of £65.50 you would receive zero JSA each week.

However would you eventually qualify for Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) after the 13 week waiting period ?
    I checked the decision makers guide and as usual it is as clear as mud:confused:
  • pontdugard
    "I checked the decision makers guide"

Do you know if this is available anywhere for the general public ?
    • healy
    • By healy 28th Jan 09, 1:31 PM
    • 4,716 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    healy
    "I checked the decision makers guide"

Do you know if this is available anywhere for the general public ?
    Yes I think you will find it on the DWP website.
  • barney45
    how much can i earn /
    does anyone know if i work 5 hrs a week and earn about £30 will this change my income support claim?
    • lovetowinacar
    • By lovetowinacar 25th Feb 11, 1:10 PM
    • 1,657 Posts
    • 10,362 Thanks
    lovetowinacar
    does anyone know if i work 5 hrs a week and earn about £30 will this change my income support claim?
    Originally posted by barney45
    yes it will affect your income support claim
  • barney45
    income support
    Thanks for your reply do you know how,or by how much etc ?
  • Aarons mummy
    I'm sure on IS you are allowed to earn £20 before your claim is affected but I'm not sure if that applys to all claimants or specific circumstances, hopefully someone else will know for sure
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011
    Store Card: £100 October 2011
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • Js_Other_Half
    Thanks for your reply do you know how,or by how much etc ?
    Originally posted by barney45

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/wr_benefitratescapitalmtb
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,707Posts Today

8,669Users online

Martin's Twitter