Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > "Clothes Shops Haggling" Discussion (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
"Clothes Shops Haggling" Discussion
Closed Thread
Views: 8,627
# 1
WOW Factor 0
MSE Jenny
Old 30-10-2008, 5:37 PM
Senior Writer
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default "Clothes Shops Haggling" Discussion

What’s this about?

You can save £100s haggling in high street stores or for broadband contracts, insurance and more. The first point of call is read the full Haggling guide. Then, this discussion is specifically to talk about haggling tips for

Clothes Shops

If you want to discuss airport parking in general please go to the Haggling guide Discussion.

If you’ve got a suggestion/tip

Simply click reply and add your suggestion, though its worth scanning down first to check it's not been duplicated.

Related Discussions

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 04-11-2008 at 1:43 PM.
# 2
GreenManG0
Old 09-11-2008, 6:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Selfridges cheap jeans!

In the Birmingham Selfridges store, right near to the denim department next to the till -on i think the top floor ( will update when i visit next) - there is a rail of reduced clothes, mainly jeans. Some of the jeans are ripped, where I'm guessing people have underestimated their size when trying on, however some pairs look to be discontinued lines.

Two weeks ago I brought a pair of 7forallmankind jeans, reduced from
£170 to £30, the only "fault" i can see is that the top closure, about the zip, does not sit flat, but this was easily corrected with a needle and thread!

Not sure if this is standard in every Selfridges store, but i always check the Birmingham store now from some high quality low cost jeans that fit perfectly!
Proud to be dealing with my debts

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenManG0 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Flickering Ember
Old 10-11-2008, 9:31 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If you notice a small fault that you can mend yourself, ask for a discount; this is at their discretion but they usually give you 10% off. For this I mean a small hole or a button missing.

If you're young-looking and in a part of the country with an accent different to yours, pretend to be a student!! Seriously, it sometimes works. If asked for a student card, say your wallet went missing in the SU bar last night, and then add, "it was lucky I keep this in my pocket for safety" as you hand over your credit/debit card. Hope this 2nd suggestion isn't against forum rules.
Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
# 4
gastronomix
Old 30-03-2010, 2:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Persistance pays...
Unwilling to leave Debenhams paying full price for a suit I first asked to see the department manager. He was 'in a meeting' but would be back in an hour. Returning an hour later apparently he was no longer in the meeting but had gone home. A floor manager offered me 10% if I signed up for their card but this wasn't suitable for me so I tried again. Eventually I was offered a straight 10% off, saving about £18. I suspect they were glad to get rid of me :-)
Closed Thread