IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Why register as disabled?
Closed Thread
Views: 32,182
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Babshubbie
Old 22-10-2008, 12:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 114
Default Why register as disabled?

I read with interest the "sticky" on what the definition of disabled is, but I wonder what are the benefits of registering as disabled for older, retired people.

My wife, aged 78, broke her neck l6 months ago, leaving her with extremely limited movement in her right arm, shoulder and leg. Apart from medical attention (Physiotherapy) and attendence allowance, we get no help. I am 81 and get no carers allowance and because we have some savings, we have to pay a cleaner, gardener and handyman.

Would there be benefits in registering as disabled, and, if so, how does my wife go about it?

Any advice on sources of assistance would be gratefully received.
Babshubbie is offline
Report Post
# 2
Essex_Guy
Old 22-10-2008, 1:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babshubbie View Post
Would there be benefits in registering as disabled, and, if so, how does my wife go about it?
There seems to be no such thing as 'registered disabled' though the term is still commonly used for some reason.

If your wife was under 65 she could claim DLA (Disability Living Allowance) but those over 65 can claim Attendance Allowance instead, which you say she gets.

Hope this helps.
Essex_Guy

Last edited by Essex_Guy; 22-10-2008 at 1:45 PM.
Essex_Guy is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Essex_Guy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
JohnnyJet
Old 22-10-2008, 3:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 246
Default

You can no longer register as disabled. You used to be able to do so and you would be given a card. Most places asking for proof of disability now require proof that you get DLA or Attendence allowance or have a blue badge.
Some companies are out of date and don't even know that there is no such thing anymore in the same way they think we have orange badges still - hence the confusion.
JohnnyJet is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyJet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
jackthenipper
Old 22-10-2008, 4:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In a House
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJet View Post
You can no longer register as disabled. You used to be able to do so and you would be given a card. Most places asking for proof of disability now require proof that you get DLA or Attendence allowance or have a blue badge.
Some companies are out of date and don't even know that there is no such thing anymore in the same way they think we have orange badges still - hence the confusion.
I have a disability or so my employer tells me as i'm covered by DDA, i have never registered myself as having a disability & wouldn't know how to.
Is there any point in doing so? How dou you do it?

With the new legislation that i read on the forum for now not registering as disabled, are you only entitled to a blue badge if you get DLA?
You can't be lost if you don't know where you're going.
jackthenipper is offline
Report Post
# 5
LimeLight
Old 22-10-2008, 4:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 7,636
Default

There is no such thing as a disabled register any more, so no, it's not worth registering!

I had a police statement taken off me and one of the questions on the 'equality measuring form' was are you registered disabled? I pointed out the fact of no register, so they're going to have to change it.
For Sale

A Blackberry on Orange.
See avatar

LimeLight is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to LimeLight For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Horace
Old 22-10-2008, 5:00 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In my own little world where everyone knows me
Posts: 13,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthenipper View Post
I have a disability or so my employer tells me as i'm covered by DDA, i have never registered myself as having a disability & wouldn't know how to.
Is there any point in doing so? How dou you do it?

With the new legislation that i read on the forum for now not registering as disabled, are you only entitled to a blue badge if you get DLA?
The only people that register themselves as having a disability really are those that are registered blind or partially sighted. If you are not blind or partially sighted then there is no registration process to go through.

I am not sure about Blue Badges, I thought you had to apply for those from your local council but I am not sure about the DLA aspect, although I do think that they are changing the system of granting blue badges because of all the fraudsters out there who use one and have no need.

I do know that if you get DLA (it may be the highest mobility part) then you don't need to pay road tax but how this works I don't have a clue.
Semper in faeces profundum variat
Horace is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Horace For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
robertscotts
Old 22-10-2008, 5:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Posts: 4
Default

The best link I know of for claiming DLA, incapacity benefit, employment & support allowance is http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/
robertscotts is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to robertscotts For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Yogibear
Old 22-10-2008, 5:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Govan Super Casino Ibrokes
Posts: 440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
The only people that register themselves as having a disability really are those that are registered blind or partially sighted. If you are not blind or partially sighted then there is no registration process to go through.

I am not sure about Blue Badges, I thought you had to apply for those from your local council but I am not sure about the DLA aspect, although I do think that they are changing the system of granting blue badges because of all the fraudsters out there who use one and have no need.

I do know that if you get DLA (it may be the highest mobility part) then you don't need to pay road tax but how this works I don't have a clue.
You have to be on the highest rate of DLA to get a Blue Badge and a car you only have to put fuel in it,you can get a Blue Badge as well if you get Attendance Allowance
Yogibear is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Yogibear For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
jackthenipper
Old 22-10-2008, 5:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In a House
Posts: 336
Default

I was just wondering if i was entitled to a disabled parking badge/permit due to having a disability
You can't be lost if you don't know where you're going.

Last edited by jackthenipper; 22-10-2008 at 5:37 PM.
jackthenipper is offline
Report Post
# 10
zzzLazyDaisy
Old 22-10-2008, 5:23 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 12,102
Default

It is true that people who get the high rate mobility component of DLA automatically qualify for a blue badge (tho they still have to make the application and complete the relevant form)

However, the criteria for getting a blue badge varies from area to area. Some will give a blue badge to people whose application is supported by their GP or some other health professional, even if they don't get DLA or AA.

Blue badges are issued by your local council, so if you feel you need a blue badge it is worth asking for an application form to see what evidence your council requires.
I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.

Letter Before Claim from a parking company? DO NOT IGNORE - THE NEXT STEP IS COURT ACTION. See my thread (page 1 of the parking forum) and FIGHT BACK!
zzzLazyDaisy is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to zzzLazyDaisy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Babshubbie
Old 23-10-2008, 10:08 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 114
Default

Thank you, all. No registration process to go through then. Having just gone through the Blue Badge application process, I can confirm that though the regulations are apparently laid down in Brussels, the interpretation is with local authorities. Here in Bromley they are at the moment very searching and thorough and expect to see evidence that an applicant cannot walk more than a few paces. Whether other authorities are as strict, I don't know.
Babshubbie is offline
Report Post
# 12
pammm
Old 23-10-2008, 11:24 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1
Default

You can "register" as disabled with social services. In my area you have to be assessed and then they give you a yellow card, which entitles you to a free bus pass. I don't know if the rules are the same for different local councils.
pammm is offline
Report Post
# 13
zzzLazyDaisy
Old 23-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 12,102
Default

You are right, a few local authorities still operate a registration system, but most don't these days. Under the old registration system the definition of 'disabled' was much more restricted - basically you had to have a physical condition that meant that you had difficulty walking (hence the universal sign of a person in a wheelchair). Under the Disability Disacrimination Act 1995 the definition is much wider and encompasses people with illnesses and medical conditions that have a substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out certain day to day tasks, so a person can be 'disabled' within the meaning of the DDA, even though their ability to walk is not affected.

Once the DDA came in the registration system was dropped by most local authorities.
I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.

Letter Before Claim from a parking company? DO NOT IGNORE - THE NEXT STEP IS COURT ACTION. See my thread (page 1 of the parking forum) and FIGHT BACK!
zzzLazyDaisy is offline
Report Post
# 14
jimfletcher
Old 23-10-2008, 12:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1
Default jiminperidise

[quote=Babshubbie;15200853]I read with interest the "sticky" on what the definition of disabled is, but I wonder what are the benefits of registering as disabled for older, retired people.

My wife, aged 78, broke her neck l6 months ago, leaving her with extremely limited movement in her right arm, shoulder and leg. Apart from medical attention (Physiotherapy) and attendence allowance, we get no help. I am 81 and get no carers allowance and because we have some savings, we have to pay a cleaner, gardener and handyman.

Would there be benefits in registering as disabled, and, if so, how does my wife go about it?

Any advice on sources of assistance would be gratefully received.[When your wife applied for the Blue Badge she should have been assessed by the Social Services or perhaps called Adult services.You should ask them for a Carers Assessment you have a Statutory right to this.For some time I wasnt convinced of the value of this but in this area of West yorkshire it can now lead to some quite substantial cash benefits.They were issuing vouchers worth up to 300 per year but because people were finding it difficult to find people they could use the vouchers with they now give cash.
They can also advise on respite provision perhaps for a few hours or maybe longer for which funding is also available.
Whilst carers Allowance is only of advantage if you are entitled to means-tasted benefits through the Carers premium dont be too quick to wtite off Pension Credit because you have savings as the rules now are much more generous
jimfletcher is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to jimfletcher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Babshubbie
Old 23-10-2008, 8:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfletcher View Post
When your wife applied for the Blue Badge she should have been assessed by the Social Services or perhaps called Adult services.You should ask them for a Carers Assessment you have a Statutory right to this.For some time I wasnt convinced of the value of this but in this area of West yorkshire it can now lead to some quite substantial cash benefits.They were issuing vouchers worth up to 300 per year but because people were finding it difficult to find people they could use the vouchers with they now give cash.
Whilst carers Allowance is only of advantage if you are entitled to means-tasted benefits through the Carers premium dont be too quick to wtite off Pension Credit because you have savings as the rules now are much more generous
Any benefits are means tested, here at any rate. And if the carer is over pensionable age, no allowance is payable, presumably because the chore of caring is not preventing the individual from going out to a job, his/her age does that.

But thanks, Jim, for your contribution.
Babshubbie is offline
Report Post
# 16
angelheart
Old 23-10-2008, 10:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 222
Default

You can also get a blue badge if you are register blind or partially sighted. I have one for my son who is 9 years old and registered blind.
angelheart is offline
Report Post
# 17
Mojisola
Old 23-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogibear View Post
You have to be on the highest rate of DLA to get a Blue Badge
I have a relative who doesn't claim any benefits but she has a Blue Badge because of a knee problem.
Mojisola is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Mojisola For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
trejoy
Old 24-10-2008, 9:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 74
Default

In reply to Horace, I am registered partially-sighted and can no longer drive. You get free tax on a car that is used primarily for your benefit, so my hubbie is now my chauffer. He cannot use the car to travel back and fore work, (he takes train). By registering as partially-sighted I was able to claim a free bus pass, I have a CEA card for the cinema, (carer goes free). You are also able to get free loft and cavity wall insulation. I also get free eye tests.
About blue badges, your doctor has to approve it. I have one as he said that it was dangerous for me to walk across car parks. I do also have mobility probs.
Hope helps
trejoy is offline
Report Post
# 19
Oldernotwiser
Old 24-10-2008, 12:03 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 35,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogibear View Post
You have to be on the highest rate of DLA to get a Blue Badge and a car you only have to put fuel in it,you can get a Blue Badge as well if you get Attendance Allowance
No you don't. My husband has a blue badge but doesn't claim DLA.
Oldernotwiser is offline
Report Post
# 20
Oldernotwiser
Old 24-10-2008, 12:06 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 35,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzLazyDaisy View Post
Under the old registration system the definition of 'disabled' was much more restricted - basically you had to have a physical condition that meant that you had difficulty walking
Actually, that's not true. My dad was registered disabled for years because he had slightly crippled hands. He was a postman and walked miles every day!
Oldernotwiser is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 4:46 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 17 September 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • THE SCRIPTNO SOUND WITHOUT SILENCE
  • BARBRA STREISANDPARTNERS (DELUXE VERSION)
  • SAM SMITHIN THE LONELY HOUR (DELUXE EDITION)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.