Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Babshubbie
    Why register as disabled?
    • 22nd Oct 08, 12:54 PM
    Why register as disabled? 22nd Oct 08 at 12:54 PM
    I read with interest the "sticky" on what the definition of disabled is, but I wonder what are the benefits of registering as disabled for older, retired people.

My wife, aged 78, broke her neck l6 months ago, leaving her with extremely limited movement in her right arm, shoulder and leg. Apart from medical attention (Physiotherapy) and attendence allowance, we get no help. I am 81 and get no carers allowance and because we have some savings, we have to pay a cleaner, gardener and handyman.

Would there be benefits in registering as disabled, and, if so, how does my wife go about it?

Any advice on sources of assistance would be gratefully received.
Page 1
  • Essex_Guy
    • 22nd Oct 08, 1:42 PM
    • 22nd Oct 08, 1:42 PM
    Would there be benefits in registering as disabled, and, if so, how does my wife go about it?
    Originally posted by Babshubbie
    There seems to be no such thing as 'registered disabled' though the term is still commonly used for some reason.

If your wife was under 65 she could claim DLA (Disability Living Allowance) but those over 65 can claim Attendance Allowance instead, which you say she gets.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Essex_Guy; 22-10-2008 at 1:45 PM.
    Essex_Guy
    • JohnnyJet
    • By JohnnyJet 22nd Oct 08, 3:20 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    JohnnyJet
    • 22nd Oct 08, 3:20 PM
    • 22nd Oct 08, 3:20 PM
    You can no longer register as disabled. You used to be able to do so and you would be given a card. Most places asking for proof of disability now require proof that you get DLA or Attendence allowance or have a blue badge.
    Some companies are out of date and don't even know that there is no such thing anymore in the same way they think we have orange badges still - hence the confusion.
    • jackthenipper
    • By jackthenipper 22nd Oct 08, 4:50 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    jackthenipper
    • 22nd Oct 08, 4:50 PM
    • 22nd Oct 08, 4:50 PM
    You can no longer register as disabled. You used to be able to do so and you would be given a card. Most places asking for proof of disability now require proof that you get DLA or Attendence allowance or have a blue badge.
    Some companies are out of date and don't even know that there is no such thing anymore in the same way they think we have orange badges still - hence the confusion.
    Originally posted by JohnnyJet
    I have a disability or so my employer tells me as i'm covered by DDA, i have never registered myself as having a disability & wouldn't know how to.
    Is there any point in doing so? How dou you do it?

With the new legislation that i read on the forum for now not registering as disabled, are you only entitled to a blue badge if you get DLA?
    You can't be lost if you don't know where you're going.
    • LimeLight
    • By LimeLight 22nd Oct 08, 4:55 PM
    • 7,681 Posts
    • 13,525 Thanks
    LimeLight
    • 22nd Oct 08, 4:55 PM
    • 22nd Oct 08, 4:55 PM
    There is no such thing as a disabled register any more, so no, it's not worth registering!

I had a police statement taken off me and one of the questions on the 'equality measuring form' was are you registered disabled? I pointed out the fact of no register, so they're going to have to change it.
    Blame ColinW for my return...
    • Horace
    • By Horace 22nd Oct 08, 5:00 PM
    • 14,128 Posts
    • 24,783 Thanks
    Horace
    • 22nd Oct 08, 5:00 PM
    • 22nd Oct 08, 5:00 PM
    I have a disability or so my employer tells me as i'm covered by DDA, i have never registered myself as having a disability & wouldn't know how to.
    Is there any point in doing so? How dou you do it?

With the new legislation that i read on the forum for now not registering as disabled, are you only entitled to a blue badge if you get DLA?
    Originally posted by jackthenipper
    The only people that register themselves as having a disability really are those that are registered blind or partially sighted. If you are not blind or partially sighted then there is no registration process to go through.

I am not sure about Blue Badges, I thought you had to apply for those from your local council but I am not sure about the DLA aspect, although I do think that they are changing the system of granting blue badges because of all the fraudsters out there who use one and have no need.

I do know that if you get DLA (it may be the highest mobility part) then you don't need to pay road tax but how this works I don't have a clue.
    Semper in faeces profundum variat

Make £5 a day challenge Oct 2014 £126.00/£155
    Make £5 a day challenge Nov 2014 £157.40/£150
    Make £10 a day challenge Dec 2014 £392.90/£310
  • robertscotts
    • 22nd Oct 08, 5:02 PM
    • 22nd Oct 08, 5:02 PM
    The best link I know of for claiming DLA, incapacity benefit, employment & support allowance is http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/
    • Yogibear
    • By Yogibear 22nd Oct 08, 5:12 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Yogibear
    • 22nd Oct 08, 5:12 PM
    • 22nd Oct 08, 5:12 PM
    The only people that register themselves as having a disability really are those that are registered blind or partially sighted. If you are not blind or partially sighted then there is no registration process to go through.

I am not sure about Blue Badges, I thought you had to apply for those from your local council but I am not sure about the DLA aspect, although I do think that they are changing the system of granting blue badges because of all the fraudsters out there who use one and have no need.

I do know that if you get DLA (it may be the highest mobility part) then you don't need to pay road tax but how this works I don't have a clue.
    Originally posted by Horace
    You have to be on the highest rate of DLA to get a Blue Badge and a car you only have to put fuel in it,you can get a Blue Badge as well if you get Attendance Allowance
    • jackthenipper
    • By jackthenipper 22nd Oct 08, 5:17 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    jackthenipper
    • 22nd Oct 08, 5:17 PM
    • 22nd Oct 08, 5:17 PM
    I was just wondering if i was entitled to a disabled parking badge/permit due to having a disability
    Last edited by jackthenipper; 22-10-2008 at 5:37 PM.
    You can't be lost if you don't know where you're going.
    • zzzLazyDaisy
    • By zzzLazyDaisy 22nd Oct 08, 5:23 PM
    • 12,138 Posts
    • 18,762 Thanks
    zzzLazyDaisy
    It is true that people who get the high rate mobility component of DLA automatically qualify for a blue badge (tho they still have to make the application and complete the relevant form)

However, the criteria for getting a blue badge varies from area to area. Some will give a blue badge to people whose application is supported by their GP or some other health professional, even if they don't get DLA or AA.

Blue badges are issued by your local council, so if you feel you need a blue badge it is worth asking for an application form to see what evidence your council requires.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Babshubbie
    Thank you, all. No registration process to go through then. Having just gone through the Blue Badge application process, I can confirm that though the regulations are apparently laid down in Brussels, the interpretation is with local authorities. Here in Bromley they are at the moment very searching and thorough and expect to see evidence that an applicant cannot walk more than a few paces. Whether other authorities are as strict, I don't know.
  • pammm
    You can "register" as disabled with social services. In my area you have to be assessed and then they give you a yellow card, which entitles you to a free bus pass. I don't know if the rules are the same for different local councils.
    • zzzLazyDaisy
    • By zzzLazyDaisy 23rd Oct 08, 11:42 AM
    • 12,138 Posts
    • 18,762 Thanks
    zzzLazyDaisy
    You are right, a few local authorities still operate a registration system, but most don't these days. Under the old registration system the definition of 'disabled' was much more restricted - basically you had to have a physical condition that meant that you had difficulty walking (hence the universal sign of a person in a wheelchair). Under the Disability Disacrimination Act 1995 the definition is much wider and encompasses people with illnesses and medical conditions that have a substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out certain day to day tasks, so a person can be 'disabled' within the meaning of the DDA, even though their ability to walk is not affected.

Once the DDA came in the registration system was dropped by most local authorities.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • jimfletcher
    jiminperidise
    [quote=Babshubbie;15200853]I read with interest the "sticky" on what the definition of disabled is, but I wonder what are the benefits of registering as disabled for older, retired people.

My wife, aged 78, broke her neck l6 months ago, leaving her with extremely limited movement in her right arm, shoulder and leg. Apart from medical attention (Physiotherapy) and attendence allowance, we get no help. I am 81 and get no carers allowance and because we have some savings, we have to pay a cleaner, gardener and handyman.

Any advice on sources of assistance would be gratefully received.[When your wife applied for the Blue Badge she should have been assessed by the Social Services or perhaps called Adult services.You should ask them for a Carers Assessment you have a Statutory right to this.For some time I wasnt convinced of the value of this but in this area of West yorkshire it can now lead to some quite substantial cash benefits.They were issuing vouchers worth up to £300 per year but because people were finding it difficult to find people they could use the vouchers with they now give cash.
    They can also advise on respite provision perhaps for a few hours or maybe longer for which funding is also available.
    Whilst carers Allowance is only of advantage if you are entitled to means-tasted benefits through the Carers premium dont be too quick to wtite off Pension Credit because you have savings as the rules now are much more generous
  • Babshubbie
    When your wife applied for the Blue Badge she should have been assessed by the Social Services or perhaps called Adult services.You should ask them for a Carers Assessment you have a Statutory right to this.For some time I wasnt convinced of the value of this but in this area of West yorkshire it can now lead to some quite substantial cash benefits.They were issuing vouchers worth up to £300 per year but because people were finding it difficult to find people they could use the vouchers with they now give cash.
    Whilst carers Allowance is only of advantage if you are entitled to means-tasted benefits through the Carers premium dont be too quick to wtite off Pension Credit because you have savings as the rules now are much more generous
    Originally posted by jimfletcher
    Any benefits are means tested, here at any rate. And if the carer is over pensionable age, no allowance is payable, presumably because the chore of caring is not preventing the individual from going out to a job, his/her age does that.

But thanks, Jim, for your contribution.
    • angelheart
    • By angelheart 23rd Oct 08, 10:05 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 1,703 Thanks
    angelheart
    You can also get a blue badge if you are register blind or partially sighted. I have one for my son who is 9 years old and registered blind.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 23rd Oct 08, 11:24 PM
    • 25,962 Posts
    • 66,664 Thanks
    Mojisola
    You have to be on the highest rate of DLA to get a Blue Badge
    Originally posted by Yogibear
    I have a relative who doesn't claim any benefits but she has a Blue Badge because of a knee problem.
  • trejoy
    In reply to Horace, I am registered partially-sighted and can no longer drive. You get free tax on a car that is used primarily for your benefit, so my hubbie is now my chauffer. He cannot use the car to travel back and fore work, (he takes train). By registering as partially-sighted I was able to claim a free bus pass, I have a CEA card for the cinema, (carer goes free). You are also able to get free loft and cavity wall insulation. I also get free eye tests.
    About blue badges, your doctor has to approve it. I have one as he said that it was dangerous for me to walk across car parks. I do also have mobility probs.
    Hope helps
  • Oldernotwiser
    You have to be on the highest rate of DLA to get a Blue Badge and a car you only have to put fuel in it,you can get a Blue Badge as well if you get Attendance Allowance
    Originally posted by Yogibear
    No you don't. My husband has a blue badge but doesn't claim DLA.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Under the old registration system the definition of 'disabled' was much more restricted - basically you had to have a physical condition that meant that you had difficulty walking
    Originally posted by zzzLazyDaisy
    Actually, that's not true. My dad was registered disabled for years because he had slightly crippled hands. He was a postman and walked miles every day!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

412Posts Today

1,554Users online

Martin's Twitter